Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I just traded ‘22 MX for ‘23 MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The short version is the price difference between my trade-in value and the new car price was too big (~$30k) to justify keeping the X. Many of the extra ‘features’ on the X are actually not always that easy to live with, and I’m actually appreciating the simplicity of the Y at this point.

Some background- I had an M3 before the X and really liked it except the backseat was small and I wanted a hatchback. Both the X and Y are 7 seaters and the smaller interior is noticeable, but not substantially for my needs.

With the temporary $7500 discount (seems like a great deal now with the confusing tax credit situation) I couldn’t pass it up. Also my X was purchased pre-price increase, so I almost got all my $ back on the trade-in, including sales tax, even with 4500 miles on it. Teslas’s offer was much higher than competing online services like Carvana, etc.

Some things I like better about the Y, compared to X:

build quality- I haven’t found any defects yet whereas the X had 10 service visits in 6 months, including rattles, etc., although they were all fixed by the time I traded in.

Yoke vs wheel- I got used to the yoke quickly but still prefer the wheel. The material on the yoke feels plasticky whereas the wheel feels like real leather.

Suspension- air suspension seems cool but I haven’t noticed any real difference in ride quality with the springs.

Tow hitch- one the X, you have to remove the extender to install the cover plate. On the Y it’s all integrated.

Acceleration- The Y is slower but with the acceleration boost (from what I’ve heard- haven’t purchased yet) it should be comparable to X when not in launch mode.

Efficiency- obviously better which means faster/cheaper home charging, etc.

Automatic/falcon wing doors- very cool features but basically unnecessary and sometimes annoying/ embarrassing depending where you park.

Matrix headlights

Single screen is simpler to interact with and because it’s smaller, you don’t have to reach over as much and/or swivel. It also (currently) has more up to date features. Full screen fsd is also awesome but will hopefully come to S/X sometime.

Also, Bigger cup holders and quieter interior!

The X is a really amazing car and a feat of engineering, but is ideal for those who have unlimited funds, etc.

Anyway, just some feedback for those on the fence. Hopefully the USS features will be restored ‘soon’.

Tesla_Model_Y_Dual_Motor_Solid_Black_(2).jpg

"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Solid Black (2)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog thumbnail.

Last edited:
The short version is the price difference between my trade-in value and the new car price was too big (~$30k) to justify keeping the X. Many of the extra ‘features’ on the X are actually not always that easy to live with, and I’m actually appreciating the simplicity of the Y at this point.

Some background- I had an M3 before the X and really liked it except the backseat was small and I wanted a hatchback. Both the X and Y are 7 seaters and the smaller interior is noticeable, but not substantially for my needs.

With the temporary $7500 discount (seems like a great deal now with the confusing tax credit situation) I couldn’t pass it up. Also my X was purchased pre-price increase, so I almost got all my $ back on the trade-in, including sales tax, even with 4500 miles on it. Teslas’s offer was much higher than competing online services like Carvana, etc.

Some things I like better about the Y, compared to X:

build quality- I haven’t found any defects yet whereas the X had 10 service visits in 6 months, including rattles, etc., although they were all fixed by the time I traded in.

Yoke vs wheel- I got used to the yoke quickly but still prefer the wheel. The material on the yoke feels plasticky whereas the wheel feels like real leather.

Suspension- air suspension seems cool but I haven’t noticed any real difference in ride quality with the springs.

Tow hitch- one the X, you have to remove the extender to install the cover plate. On the Y it’s all integrated.

Acceleration- The Y is slower but with the acceleration boost (from what I’ve heard- haven’t purchased yet) it should be comparable to X when not in launch mode.

Efficiency- obviously better which means faster/cheaper home charging, etc.

Automatic/falcon wing doors- very cool features but basically unnecessary and sometimes annoying/ embarrassing depending where you park.

Also, Bigger cup holders and quieter interior!

The X is a really amazing car and a feat of engineering, but is ideal for those who have unlimited funds, etc.

Anyway, just some feedback for those on the fence. Hopefully the USS features will be restored ‘soon’.
Congrats. Curios as your X sounds like it was near new did they owe You money on the trade?

If you don't really needed the extra space and seatting of the Model X,
I think you could add the better mileage of the Model Y compare to the Model X.

I you don't mind, could you please list:
- the Model X original cost (including California Sales Taxes, DMV, and delivery),
- the resale price you got, and
- the Model Y total cost including taxes.

The California States and Alameda County 10.75 % sales taxes,
and my currently low mileage situation, and also not been able to transfer my FSD option,
are majors issues retaining me from swapping more often my car.

I you don't mind, could you please list:
- the Model X original cost (including California Sales Taxes, DMV, and delivery)

$105k plus $11k in fees/taxes
- the resale price you got, and
- the Model Y total cost including taxes.

The California States and Alameda County 10.75 % sales taxes,
and my currently low mileage situation, and also not been able to transfer my FSD option,
are majors issues retaining me from swapping more often my car.
$114.3k trade in value; Y was $84k out the door with tax/discount.

I’ve paid for Fsd 3x now which is ridiculous but always at below current price and my trade-in values with Tesla have been really great, but partially it was good timing with the insanely high used prices last summer. Also, I was watching refresh MX used inventory on Tesla’s website and it is virtually non-existent. If they had tried to lowball me, I would have just kept the X. I assume they were very motivated to make sales numbers before EOY. They were also very clear via text message that they don’t negotiate trade in offers, which didn’t surprise me.

You find the Y to be quieter than the X? I thought the X would be quieter due to noise cancellation or something similar?
ANC is another ‘feature’ that was of little to no use to me. I nor anybody in my family could hear the slightest bit of difference whether it was on or off, and I did try.

The X has huge door seals which flex and make noise on uneven surfaces. Mine in particular was slightly misaligned between the passenger door and dash which would rub, especially in the cold. Fixing that alignment would have misaligned the door on the outside. The Y has the mega cast which presumably reduces noise and, as mentioned, the build quality is impeccable from what I’ve been able to see. Plus the smaller interior is just naturally more quiet.

How so? Because of timing? Or a special deal?
I ordered the car months in advance (or even over a year with MX), before fsd price increase, and they honored older price. This has been standard policy for a long time. If you order a car now, you’ll be able to add fsd for $15k even if the price is higher when you take delivery. If you buy fsd after delivery, you’ll have to pay whatever the current price is at that time.

The subscription is clearly more economical on paper but it has no resale value with a private sale and I have no doubt the subscription monthly cost will be rising at some point. Elon has said for quite a while that the price and value of fsd will continue to rise over time. There is a whole long debate about if/how much that will actually happen, as the roll out has been very delayed. I’ve personally been testing fsd beta for 15 months. It’s got a ways to go to robotaxis but the progress is undeniable.

Buying fsd (especially at current prices) is a leap of faith, but not buying it is risky too imo because it is basically a bet against one the main missions of the company.

Interestingly, when I received the trade in offer of $9k more than I paid Tesla for the car (not including sales tax), it said ‘includes the value of fsd’. There is no real way to quantify/evaluate how true that is (this car doesn’t even have kbb sales data yet) but we know Tesla can resell the car with or without fsd at their discretion for no added cost to the company, so they obviously have no obligation to include fsd value in trade in offers.

Last edited:
thanks for the review. Do you have kids? I have 3… and need the extra space. But I don’t think the X is worth $130k.

But agree with you that almost everything is better with the Y.
I have 1 kid, plus 2 bigger dogs that go in the car a lot. If the Y was any smaller, it would be a squeeze, but for us it’s sufficient.

The X is amazing in many ways but I wouldn’t/couldnt pay $140k plus tax for any car, which is what my trade-in would cost new now. A pre-refresh used X would be more affordable, but I’ve driven some older loaners and the refresh is such a massive improvement in performance and refinement. The older X just felt clunky.

Can you shed some light on this? Thx!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
$105k plus $11k in fees/taxes

$114.3k trade in value; Y was $84k out the door with tax/discount.

I’ve paid for Fsd 3x now which is ridiculous but always at below current price and my trade-in values with Tesla have been really great, but partially it was good timing with the insanely high used prices last summer. Also, I was watching refresh MX used inventory on Tesla’s website and it is virtually non-existent. If they had tried to lowball me, I would have just kept the X. I assume they were very motivated to make sales numbers before EOY. They were also very clear via text message that they don’t negotiate trade in offers, which didn’t surprise me.
84k for a Y blows my mind. Was 46k when I picked mine up brand new in Jersey back in 2020.

At 6'3 the 3/Y is too small. I have to compromise legroom to keep rear seat comfortable (kids car seats). The X isn't much larger but it will be comfortable. Better would be legroom like in a Skoda Superb or equivalent, which never had any issues.