Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Love Black Cars--Especially P85+ (Pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had some swirl marks in the paint from Tesla, so had my detail guys spend about 3.5 hours with her today...oh MOMMA :love:

Because Tesla has to use water based paint in CA, it's harder than most cars to get that liquid effect out of the paint. But leave it to the pros.

Unfortunately there is zero sun in the sky today and I was using crappy iPhone, so imagine what it would really look like IN the sun.

IF the sun comes out later, I'll take more and post here...

7BF3A125-85C2-42E8-A21E-3C4BEE9033E8-6058-000003AC52C1272F_zps181888d5.jpg

6b00939c-3ca0-4b3f-acf3-56334e2d3ebb_zpse9bae95a.jpg

7922A365-B6C4-4319-8A5E-D417CCFD7D5E-6058-000003C004DAE4E0_zpsbe2d63e1.jpg

AC25AC17-4598-486E-B4A5-01D1116B14D4-6058-000003BFF7FC0A96_zpsd8035ec9.jpg

Baby's got back!
EEF18D94-9954-45EA-B26E-19518F1E5980-6058-000003BFF29738B1_zps2e5a18ec.jpg

Last edited:
The clearcoat is water-based?

Don't know specifics. Detailer was telling me all about it...Water Based Paint (WBP), has less VOC's, better for environment, blah, blah.

The downside to WBP, is it's much more prone to scratches than oil based paint because they are softer. They are more prone to orange peel, more delicate in general, and even more important to have have professionally polished or wax by pro who has ability to use 'dimishing abrasives' which are found in the pro lines of waxes, not stuff sold at WalMart or auto shop.

Anyway just the info I remember. Also said do NOT run through auto car wash as it will leave tons of micro scratches the very first time you do and get worse as you continue to do it.

Thats a pretty darn sweet car! Where are you detail guys at? I am definitely going to need some pros to get out the swirls...

They are out of Austin. There is not way to get those swirls out from factory unless you get a pro to do it. Worst swirls I've ever had in a new car, but at least Tesla admitted they have issues with that. Said it comes from factory like that--again a lot comes from the water based paint. The good news, if you invest $300-$500 you can get it looking show car new.

The car rocks.

Tex - what about touchless carwashes that use water pressure instead of bristles?

I've never liked those as they really are not getting the dirt off the car, but merely running water over it. Also, those 'dryers' do nothing more than dry the soap residue onto the paint--and will dull the paint overtime, as water based paint is more porous. I realize not everyone can hand wash their car, so it's certainly a personal decision. Looking forward to seeing your's soon Sam.

You must get the car coated (OptiCoat or whatever your professional is most comfortable with). The factory paint & clear coat is just too soft.

That or just make sure to wax/polish every six months. I'm not an Opticoat or any flavor--as I like fresh polish and wax every 6 months, but again personal choice. Not doing either will not allow for optimal shine for sure.

I've never liked those as they really are not getting the dirt off the car, but merely running water over it. Also, those 'dryers' do nothing more than dry the soap residue onto the paint--and will dull the paint overtime, as water based paint is more porous. I realize not everyone can hand wash their car, so it's certainly a personal decision. Looking forward to seeing your's soon Sam.

That or just make sure to wax/polish every six months. I'm not an Opticoat or any flavor--as I like fresh polish and wax every 6 months, but again personal choice. Not doing either will not allow for optimal shine for sure.

Looks amazing! Btw, I've checked in to a very nice place to calm my nerves since everyone that's ordered after me now seems to be getting theirs before mine....anyone know of a great detailer that offers the same service in my neck of the woods?

Texex91, the car looks amazing. What tint percentages did you end up going with for the front and back?

30% all the way around. Texas law only allows for max 30% on front, and I like the whole car to look the same, vs darker back and back doors vs front doors. Clean, same percentage all the way around. It's just personal tastes.