Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I need my Tesla really bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TESLA SAVINGS PER MONTH

This is why I need my Model Y so bad!

First, these numbers are based on my current location and situation: SF Bay Area

Current vehicle 2019 Honda Passport EX-L 2 years old getting 20 MPG, gas in SF Bay Area over $6.25 and I've seen $7

PGE with the EV-2 rate plan for off peak hours (when I will be charging), Midnight to 3 PM @ $0.2448 per kwh, I rounded to $0.24

25 kwh per 100 miles (since I do not yet have my vehicle, this is taken from an average of numbers found online) @ $.24 per kwh = $6 per 100 miles

Gas - 100 miles @ $.30 per mile = $30 per 100 miles
(Real numbers I track every fuel up)

4000 miles a month average, work and personal driving

1000 kwh per month @ $.24 kwh = $240

4000 miles @ $.30 per mile gas = $1200

$240 per month electricity vs $1200 fuel

$960 savings per month

Electric $.06 per mile vs Gas $.30 per mile

Please hurry with my Model Y Tesla, it would be greatly appreciated.

That is some nice cheap gas. ;)
I believe that converts to $1.65/L.
I'm currently paying $2.32/L for regular in Canada. Basically $8.78/gallon.

So really Tesla should be sending your car to me if they want to base this off of gas prices 😁

**Of course I didn't do any currency conversion but I believe I'm still paying more**
that sucks for you, hopefully you do not drive as much as I do, or that would really suck

I'd like to know where you got 25kwh / 100 miles. You probably got that from Teslafi or something that reports what the Battery DRAIN rate is, while driving. It's probably more like 35kwh / 100 miles measured at your power meter.

Also at 48,000 miles a year, keeping you in Tesla Model Y's at $63K every 4 years is gonna to get really expensive. Not to mention repairs after the first year.

If @house9 is correct now you are to $450 a month for electricity.

There are fuel savings of course but keep it real so we keep driving to do better.
Cost savings per mile compared to a good hybrid is not huge. Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly.

Last edited:
TESLA SAVINGS PER MONTH

First, these numbers are based on my current location and situation: SF Bay Area

Current vehicle 2019 Honda Passport EX-L 2 years old getting 20 MPG, gas in SF Bay Area over $6.25 and I've seen $7

PGE with the EV-2 rate plan for off peak hours (when I will be charging), Midnight to 3 PM @ $0.2448 per kwh, I rounded to $0.24

25 kwh per 100 miles (since I do not yet have my vehicle, this is taken from an average of numbers found online) @ $.24 per kwh = $6 per 100 miles

$960 savings per month

I feel ya , my truck (duramax diesel in SOCAL) I average roughly $2000 per month just in fuel for work commute , and then another $500 a month on my wife’s car , Did all my calculations and when After monthly payment for Tesla I’ll still be saving an additional $1500-1800 a month

Reactions: JDEWD250
TESLA SAVINGS PER MONTH

$960 savings per month

which model u order ? And when? if LR, might be worth just changing it to P and get it sooner?

im from south SF so I totally understand all ur numbers and pain. I drive about 2500 miles a month. Before the Y, I had a Tacoma and a sienna. Both avg 20 mpg. My gasoline bill was around $550 a month. This is about 2 years ago. Can’t imagine now if I didn’t go EV!

i put in 30k miles on my 2020 LR. Sold it for the 2022 P back in march. Here’s how to justify the upgrade, go SOLAR! Had solar for the past 8 months. Now my gasoline bill is zero and I’m paying $10 for my pge electricity each month. A 8kw solar system cost me $15k up front. produce about 1100 kWh each month, it cover my house, my MYP and my wife Prius prime. 😁

FYI. I used 26 kWh to drive 100 mi on MYP. Bc i put on 19” Martian wheels. So the MYP can be as efficiency as a LR if u change ur the 21”. 😉

Last edited:
I'd like to know where you got 25kwh / 100 miles. You probably got that from Teslafi or something that reports what the Battery DRAIN rate is, while driving. It's probably more like 35kwh / 100 miles measured at your power meter.

Also at 48,000 miles a year, keeping you in Tesla Model Y's at $63K every 4 years is gonna to get really expensive. Not to mention repairs after the first year.

If @house9 is correct now you are to $450 a month for electricity.

There are fuel savings of course but keep it real so we keep driving to do better.
Cost savings per mile compared to a good hybrid is not huge. Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly.
Not sure what you mean by "Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly" my vehicle gets 20MPG, I track all my fuel ups, silly or not, it is real.

which model u order ? And when? if LR, might be worth just changing it to P and get it sooner?

im from south SF so I totally understand all ur numbers and pain. I drive about 2500 miles a month. Before the Y, I had a Tacoma and a sienna. Both avg 20 mpg. My gasoline bill was around $550 a month. This is about 2 years ago. Can’t imagine now if I didn’t go EV!

i put in 30k miles on my 2020 LR. Sold it for the 2022 P back in march. Here’s how to justify the upgrade, go SOLAR! Had solar for the past 8 months. Now my gasoline bill is zero and I’m paying $10 for my pge electricity each month. A 8kw solar system cost me $15k up front. produce about 1100 kWh each month, it cover my house, my MYP and my wife Prius prime. 😁

FYI. I used 26 kWh to drive 100 mi on MYP. Bc i put on 19” Martian wheels. So the MYP can be as efficiency as a LR if u change ur the 21”. 😉
Amen bro, I got my. Solar system 4 yrs ago when it was a great price then, didn't even thinking of ev. Glad I did . Gas prices going up, next is electricity prices.