Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

Why I need my Tesla really bad

TESLA SAVINGS PER MONTH

This is why I need my Model Y so bad!

First, these numbers are based on my current location and situation: SF Bay Area

Current vehicle 2019 Honda Passport EX-L 2 years old getting 20 MPG, gas in SF Bay Area over $6.25 and I've seen $7

PGE with the EV-2 rate plan for off peak hours (when I will be charging), Midnight to 3 PM @ $0.2448 per kwh, I rounded to $0.24

25 kwh per 100 miles (since I do not yet have my vehicle, this is taken from an average of numbers found online) @ $.24 per kwh = $6 per 100 miles

Gas - 100 miles @ $.30 per mile = $30 per 100 miles
(Real numbers I track every fuel up)

4000 miles a month average, work and personal driving

1000 kwh per month @ $.24 kwh = $240

4000 miles @ $.30 per mile gas = $1200

$240 per month electricity vs $1200 fuel

$960 savings per month

Electric $.06 per mile vs Gas $.30 per mile

Please hurry with my Model Y Tesla, it would be greatly appreciated.

That is some nice cheap gas. ;)
I believe that converts to $1.65/L.
I'm currently paying $2.32/L for regular in Canada. Basically $8.78/gallon.

So really Tesla should be sending your car to me if they want to base this off of gas prices 😁

**Of course I didn't do any currency conversion but I believe I'm still paying more**

That is some nice cheap gas. ;)
I believe that converts to $1.65/L.
I'm currently paying $2.32/L for regular in Canada. Basically $8.78/gallon.

So really Tesla should be sending your car to me if they want to base this off of gas prices 😁

**Of course I didn't do any currency conversion but I believe I'm still paying more**
that sucks for you, hopefully you do not drive as much as I do, or that would really suck

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
I'd like to know where you got 25kwh / 100 miles. You probably got that from Teslafi or something that reports what the Battery DRAIN rate is, while driving. It's probably more like 35kwh / 100 miles measured at your power meter.

Also at 48,000 miles a year, keeping you in Tesla Model Y's at $63K every 4 years is gonna to get really expensive. Not to mention repairs after the first year.

If @house9 is correct now you are to $450 a month for electricity.

There are fuel savings of course but keep it real so we keep driving to do better.
Cost savings per mile compared to a good hybrid is not huge. Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly.

Last edited:
TESLA SAVINGS PER MONTH

First, these numbers are based on my current location and situation: SF Bay Area

Current vehicle 2019 Honda Passport EX-L 2 years old getting 20 MPG, gas in SF Bay Area over $6.25 and I've seen $7

PGE with the EV-2 rate plan for off peak hours (when I will be charging), Midnight to 3 PM @ $0.2448 per kwh, I rounded to $0.24

25 kwh per 100 miles (since I do not yet have my vehicle, this is taken from an average of numbers found online) @ $.24 per kwh = $6 per 100 miles

$960 savings per month

I feel ya , my truck (duramax diesel in SOCAL) I average roughly $2000 per month just in fuel for work commute , and then another $500 a month on my wife’s car , Did all my calculations and when After monthly payment for Tesla I’ll still be saving an additional $1500-1800 a month

Reactions: JDEWD250
I feel ya , my truck (duramax diesel in SOCAL) I average roughly $2000 per month just in fuel for work commute , and then another $500 a month on my wife’s car , Did all my calculations and when After monthly payment for Tesla I’ll still be saving an additional $1500-1800 a month
Why drive anything that costs $2k /mo in fuel?

TESLA SAVINGS PER MONTH

$960 savings per month

which model u order ? And when? if LR, might be worth just changing it to P and get it sooner?

im from south SF so I totally understand all ur numbers and pain. I drive about 2500 miles a month. Before the Y, I had a Tacoma and a sienna. Both avg 20 mpg. My gasoline bill was around $550 a month. This is about 2 years ago. Can’t imagine now if I didn’t go EV!

i put in 30k miles on my 2020 LR. Sold it for the 2022 P back in march. Here’s how to justify the upgrade, go SOLAR! Had solar for the past 8 months. Now my gasoline bill is zero and I’m paying $10 for my pge electricity each month. A 8kw solar system cost me $15k up front. produce about 1100 kWh each month, it cover my house, my MYP and my wife Prius prime. 😁

FYI. I used 26 kWh to drive 100 mi on MYP. Bc i put on 19” Martian wheels. So the MYP can be as efficiency as a LR if u change ur the 21”. 😉

Last edited:
I'd like to know where you got 25kwh / 100 miles. You probably got that from Teslafi or something that reports what the Battery DRAIN rate is, while driving. It's probably more like 35kwh / 100 miles measured at your power meter.

Also at 48,000 miles a year, keeping you in Tesla Model Y's at $63K every 4 years is gonna to get really expensive. Not to mention repairs after the first year.

If @house9 is correct now you are to $450 a month for electricity.

There are fuel savings of course but keep it real so we keep driving to do better.
Cost savings per mile compared to a good hybrid is not huge. Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly.
Not sure what you mean by "Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly" my vehicle gets 20MPG, I track all my fuel ups, silly or not, it is real.

which model u order ? And when? if LR, might be worth just changing it to P and get it sooner?

im from south SF so I totally understand all ur numbers and pain. I drive about 2500 miles a month. Before the Y, I had a Tacoma and a sienna. Both avg 20 mpg. My gasoline bill was around $550 a month. This is about 2 years ago. Can’t imagine now if I didn’t go EV!

i put in 30k miles on my 2020 LR. Sold it for the 2022 P back in march. Here’s how to justify the upgrade, go SOLAR! Had solar for the past 8 months. Now my gasoline bill is zero and I’m paying $10 for my pge electricity each month. A 8kw solar system cost me $15k up front. produce about 1100 kWh each month, it cover my house, my MYP and my wife Prius prime. 😁

FYI. I used 26 kWh to drive 100 mi on MYP. Bc i put on 19” Martian wheels. So the MYP can be as efficiency as a LR if u change ur the 21”. 😉
Amen bro, I got my. Solar system 4 yrs ago when it was a great price then, didn't even thinking of ev. Glad I did . Gas prices going up, next is electricity prices.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC