Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#17) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered EV Tax Credit 2.0, Model Y & 3 Gangbuster Sales, Low Model X Demand, and California FSD Drama.

Why I need my Tesla really bad

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
Not sure what you mean by "Comparing to the worst of the worst ICE is a little silly" my vehicle gets 20MPG, I track all my fuel ups, silly or not, it is real.
20 mpg is *sugar* today by any standard. It that class vehicle it doesn’t get much worse.

My 20 year old Jeep Grand got 20 mpg.

You are comparing a terrible ICE to a good (and very expensive and newer) EV as your justification, to save money.

You should be comparing a good ICE (probably a hybrid), probably much cheaper, to the Y. Not some bottom of the barell ICE.

If your goal is to save money, which is what you are rooting.

A Y is not gonna save you money. Well it might if your only option was the bottom of the barrel ICE. Point is, it’s not.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
Amen bro, I got my. Solar system 4 yrs ago when it was a great price then, didn't even thinking of ev. Glad I did . Gas prices going up, next is electricity prices.
I got my Solar 6 years ago not even thinking of EV either. Just breaking even on it now. Lucky I oversized the Solar a bit too. It’s the best combo with EV. Because electricity will catch up. It’s all energy with supply and demand.

We also live in SF Bay Area. Got solar 18 months ago (tesla with powerwall) and glad we oversized it to the max our roof could hold. We replaced our 2019 BMW X1 with the MYLR and between the energy savings (i know, we are still paying off the solar) and gas, we are quite ahead. We drive 1500 miles a month. Thats about a tank of gas a week for a 16 gal tank. Or $400 month just for gas and right now our solar is generating enough excess to cover charging our MY so to maximize savings, get as much solar as you can install. Electricity will only go up. Especially with PGE paying for all the wildfires they are causing…

Reactions: JDEWD250
I wish I didn’t live in a townhouse and then I could have solar
If you live in CA, actually you can. HOA’s cannot deny you the right and ability to install a solar (PV) system on the roof, even if it is defined as common area(s).
The state has set limits and rules on what HOA’s can impose and they are quite achievable. Check with your management company - they probably already have the architectural requirements already defined and haven’t made a big deal about it.

Quite a few people I know have installed PV systems on townhouses/condos, generally 5-6kW in size, which is usually more than adequate for home and car charging.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC