Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I ordered 22+ kw solar glass roof for $134k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, long story, but I will try and abbreviate.

Here's my intent: I received my new model Y (3/21/20) in GA, and already bough a new home in FL. So I said to myself (I'm old, I can talk to myself)... I should charge my new MY in my new home with solar!!!! Sounded reasonable at the time....

So my initial order with Tesla was for a 15.12 kw panel (315w version) with 4 power walls (order placed o/a 25 April 20). Cost estimate was $57k. In mid June (after lots of picture transfers, HOA approvals etc) I received an install date of 1 July 20.

1 July 20: Those Tesla guys were right on time! Two trucks and 3 cars full of folks. Lead guy was very nice and new his stuff. TANGENT: Unfortunately the design he had and the one I received through my Tesla account were not the same. Not really a big deal, but I submitted the online design and received approval from my HOA, and was a bit concerned they (HOA) may notice the change in design.

So we agreed on placement etc after talking alternatives, and they proceeded to remove landscaping to access the outside wall for the powerwalls, inverters etc. While we discussed placement and options the teams off loaded the two trucks and propositioned them for install. All was going great!!!!

Then the roofing team discovered I had a "granulation" problem with my tiles. Basically when they stepped on the tiles, the tiles shed the top layer... sorta like stepping on miniature BBs on a 30 degree roof. After consulting with (someone) it was decided they could not install the panels. So they packed up and left.

So apparently I needed a new roof. Tesla provided an est later that day that they would do a "partial" re-roof for an additional $40k. I declined. Cancelled the order and did the math.

$40 k for a new roof.
$57 k for 15.2 kw w/4 powar walls.
Total: $97k (and 1/2 new roof)
ROI at ave $400/mo electric = ($97k/4.8k) 20+ years (11.8 years ($57k/$4.8k) if I didn't need a new roof)

OR...

22 kw system, with the same 4 power walls for $134k. (about $96k for solar glass plus equivalent of $40 k for new roof)
New roof w/25 year guarantee - check
Solar Glass Roof - check
ROI at ave $400/mo electric = ($134k/$4.8k) 27.9 years. (19.5 year without need for a new roof)
Estimated increase in house value at 15% ($750k *.15) = $112k

$134k (Solar Glass install price)- $112k (Increase in home value) = $22k out of pocket cost
New ROI = ($22k/$4.8k) = 4.5 years

So my math assumptions may be a bit off (but I'm trying to justify all this to the wife!)

So I'm thinking more power generation, increase home value, better visual look for home than panels = what the heck, why not?? Sounds like a great idea!!!

I'll post before, during, and after picks if anyone is interested. I know I have been very liberal with assumptions about values and if I should include roof costs with ROI... but I WANT

Where in Florida are you located? What is the wind speed rating (V-Ult) at your location? I didn’t think Telsa’s solar roof could be installed in Florida due to the wind speed requirements... I thought they only went up to 130 mph or something.

Both rooftop solar and solar glass roof will increase your property value right now, however, as solar costs continue to drop, the property value increase will drop. I would only count the cash flow of energy savings.
you are probably right... but thats NOT what I wanted to hear with my yet-to-be-installed 10kW solar and two powerwall project I just signed the purchase paperwork on yesterday......

House images... don't have any real good pics of roof, but here's what I have: Front, rt side and back: So about 5,800 sq ft of tile to be replace solar or "soto" solar look alike tiles.

Front home.jpg
Rt side home.jpg
Back side.jpg

Definitely agree tha
I'm in Ocala, FL. Basically the center of FL - about equal distance from coasts east to west.

And yes to the math, both panels and glass increase the value of a home. (again, trying to convince the wife why I should spend so much cash.... so I may have left out the other (panel) increase in value to bolster my argument :) Hoping she does not catch that oversight :)

I think the real thing to look at is: what is the actual cost of re-roofing the home with something you would consider equivalent in look to the solar roof? If the partial re-roofing is $40k, what is a new roof going to cost? I'm assuming it is going to be >$50k, otherwise it would probably make sense to install a new roof now, even if you stick with panels, since the partial work probably doesn't get you the warranties of either the solar roof or of a new roof, and many not be that cost effective if it doesn't fully address the roofing issues for the next decades.

Based on the numbers you provided, once you get above about $50k for a new roof, you could argue that the installed cost per kW is lower with the solar roof than new roof + tiles. However, I would note that a fairer comparison is probably cost per kWh (or MWh) based on production estimates from Tesla - which would account for the possibility the roof or tiles are better situated for generation. Assuming there is a positive ROI over 25 years for each MWh generated (and, depending on your utility and your usage, this may or may not be true) then the roof may make more sense than the panels just from an economic standpoint. In general, Tesla tries to make the solar roof competitive to basic roof + panels, and in your situation where it looks like you are dealing with a more premium, tile roof, I would not be surprised that the economics of the roof are favorable.

With all that said, there is nothing wrong with just acknowledging that aesthetics are a factor for you. We were in a somewhat similar situation in that we would have needed a new roof before adding panels (having had an older slate roof). Solar roof was definitely competitive with an asphalt re-roofing plus panels (and cheaper than trying to re-roof/repair with slate + add panels) but aesthetics came into play for us and we are definitely happy with the look, which is worth something itself.

Reactions: cicob
Solar will only increase the closing price of a home if it appraises, and that means there needs to be adequate density of homes with solar within 1 1/2 miles that have sold within the current buying trend cycle to demonstrate that buyers are willing to waive appraisal contingencies or pay more cash to get solar panels. If there's no basis for comparison, appraisers are not assigning a magic value to solar.

I heard the solar adds 3% to the value of your home argument, then got out my shovel and found that it stunk when I was done. I bought anyway, but I tossed out resale value boost.

actually its in Prescott Az, we just recently moved.

Got it. That makes more sense. I knew all those massive tech server farms were located along the Columbia for cheap and plentiful electrical power.

But, you would think though that Arizona would have tons of cheap and reliable solar power given the abundance of sun.

Reactions: preilly44
Got it. That makes more sense. I knew all those massive tech server farms were located along the Columbia for cheap and plentiful electrical power.

But, you would think though that Arizona would have tons of cheap and reliable solar power given the abundance of sun.
yes, one of the best aspects of the Pacific Northwest is Bonneyville Hydro Dam, its 8.5 cents/kWh 24/7. Of course it rains a lot too.....

With all that said, there is nothing wrong with just acknowledging that aesthetics are a factor for you

Very true. It's hard to put a price on aesthetics, but I think it's a better look then panels. Others may not agree, but to each their own. We live in a nice gated community and "curb appeal" is as important as square footage etc. I do have a nice home, but it is on the smaller side of this small (22 homes?) subdivision... biggest being over 22k sq ft.... takes a while to drive past it!

My understanding is it will take at least a week or two to install. I'll try and remember to post pics as it progresses from start to finish. I'm thinking start time may be end of August or September. Then again I thought my MY would be delivered around September (ordered 14 Jan and received it around 21 Mar).

Reactions: preilly44
Hi all, long story, but I will try and abbreviate.

Here's my intent: I received my new model Y (3/21/20) in GA, and already bough a new home in FL. So I said to myself (I'm old, I can talk to myself)... I should charge my new MY in my new home with solar!!!! Sounded reasonable at the time....

So my initial order with Tesla was for a 15.12 kw panel (315w version) with 4 power walls (order placed o/a 25 April 20). Cost estimate was $57k. In mid June (after lots of picture transfers, HOA approvals etc) I received an install date of 1 July 20.

1 July 20: Those Tesla guys were right on time! Two trucks and 3 cars full of folks. Lead guy was very nice and new his stuff. TANGENT: Unfortunately the design he had and the one I received through my Tesla account were not the same. Not really a big deal, but I submitted the online design and received approval from my HOA, and was a bit concerned they (HOA) may notice the change in design.

So we agreed on placement etc after talking alternatives, and they proceeded to remove landscaping to access the outside wall for the powerwalls, inverters etc. While we discussed placement and options the teams off loaded the two trucks and propositioned them for install. All was going great!!!!

Then the roofing team discovered I had a "granulation" problem with my tiles. Basically when they stepped on the tiles, the tiles shed the top layer... sorta like stepping on miniature BBs on a 30 degree roof. After consulting with (someone) it was decided they could not install the panels. So they packed up and left.

So apparently I needed a new roof. Tesla provided an est later that day that they would do a "partial" re-roof for an additional $40k. I declined. Cancelled the order and did the math.

$40 k for a new roof.
$57 k for 15.2 kw w/4 powar walls.
Total: $97k (and 1/2 new roof)
ROI at ave $400/mo electric = ($97k/4.8k) 20+ years (11.8 years ($57k/$4.8k) if I didn't need a new roof)

OR...

22 kw system, with the same 4 power walls for $134k. (about $96k for solar glass plus equivalent of $40 k for new roof)
New roof w/25 year guarantee - check
Solar Glass Roof - check
ROI at ave $400/mo electric = ($134k/$4.8k) 27.9 years. (19.5 year without need for a new roof)
Estimated increase in house value at 15% ($750k *.15) = $112k

$134k (Solar Glass install price)- $112k (Increase in home value) = $22k out of pocket cost
New ROI = ($22k/$4.8k) = 4.5 years

So my math assumptions may be a bit off (but I'm trying to justify all this to the wife!)

So I'm thinking more power generation, increase home value, better visual look for home than panels = what the heck, why not?? Sounds like a great idea!!!

I'll post before, during, and after picks if anyone is interested. I know I have been very liberal with assumptions about values and if I should include roof costs with ROI... but I WANT
God love ya Bill! I put up a measly 5 kW 7 years ago and it paid for itself last year, plus what it does for planet. I’m dying to put up a full solar roof, but my Chicago house is a flat roof and my CA house is clay tile. I will probably do CA when I can vet the aesthetics.

Solar will only increase the closing price of a home if it appraises, and that means there needs to be adequate density of homes with solar within 1 1/2 miles that have sold within the current buying trend cycle to demonstrate that buyers are willing to waive appraisal contingencies or pay more cash to get solar panels. If there's no basis for comparison, appraisers are not assigning a magic value to solar.

I heard the solar adds 3% to the value of your home argument, then got out my shovel and found that it stunk when I was done. I bought anyway, but I tossed out resale value boost.
Electricity production should offset monthly mortgage payment by some percentage supporting a higher sales price.