Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I ordered 22+ kw solar glass roof for $134k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I agree with most of your points. There are definitely cheaper routes I can go other then solar glass. Battery back up is important to me, as it will allow me to store power during the day and use it at night. I also read that during an outage, solar will not turn on due to backfeed to the grid, but it will with powerwalls/other battery storage. Not sure if this is correct, as I assume you could just throw the main breaker (disconnect from the grid).
Don't you have net metering? The over production during the day would more than cover the night.

Well, I don't know about the payback, but Tesla tiles sure look cool!!!! What percent are active tiles vs inactive tiles??

The percentage of active tiles versus passive depends on a number of factors. These include the desired rating (duh!), clearance areas that can only be passive, obstruction on roof (vent pipes, etc), length of runs of flat roof, etc.

Active tiles only come in one size 17" X 45". Passives tiles come is 5 sizes 1-5. All are 17" long and differ in width . My guess is the passive are 5 sizes 17" X 8, 15, 24, 32, 45. The roof edge is a 17 X whatever black metal that is custom cut on-site. So all of these factors must be taken into account when designing the roof. But, the reality is that fitting this jigsaw puzzle together must be done on site when they are up on the roof. Because of this the final rating of the roof and percentage of active to passive tiles will vary from the estimate. They may end up more tiles in areas that get more sunshine so the rating will be a little higher. Or tiles that get less sunshine and the rating will be a little lower.

On our house I would guesstimate that 25-30% of the roof is active tiles.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
My only concern is that your rates for electricity over time are going to go down...I'd guess to around 2c/kwh in 5 to 7 years. In Arizona we're at $0.03/kwh off peak from November to April. Makes me think for now that just powerwalls to fill up off peak then draw from during peak might make more sense. And who knows what's happening with efficiency of lighting and appliances!

Your rates are going down????

In Northern California we pay $0.40 peak, 0.32 off-peak in summer, and 0.21 off-peak in winter. And the rates are going up. I believe San Diego is higher and LA DWP is lower. But I have never heard of rates going down. I seem to remember paying $0.11/kW in the 90s.

Reactions: bkp_duke

In Northern California we pay $0.40 peak, 0.32 off-peak in summer, and 0.21 off-peak in winter. And the rates are going up. I believe San Diego is higher and LA DWP is lower. But I have never heard of rates going down. I seem to remember paying $0.11/kW in the 90s.
PG&E rates are going down too. For example, EV2-A rates went down about $0.003/kWh across all time periods from the January 2020 Tariff to the May 2020 Tariff.
Hey, I didn't say it was a lot, but it did go down. ;)

The percentage of active tiles versus passive depends on a number of factors. These include the desired rating (duh!), clearance areas that can only be passive, obstruction on roof (vent pipes, etc), length of runs of flat roof, etc.

Active tiles only come in one size 17" X 45". Passives tiles come is 5 sizes 1-5. All are 17" long and differ in width . My guess is the passive are 5 sizes 17" X 8, 15, 24, 32, 45. The roof edge is a 17 X whatever black metal that is custom cut on-site. So all of these factors must be taken into account when designing the roof. But, the reality is that fitting this jigsaw puzzle together must be done on site when they are up on the roof. Because of this the final rating of the roof and percentage of active to passive tiles will vary from the estimate. They may end up more tiles in areas that get more sunshine so the rating will be a little higher. Or tiles that get less sunshine and the rating will be a little lower.

On our house I would guesstimate that 25-30% of the roof is active tiles.
I didn't get a chance to investigate - is it 5 or 6 sizes? We had smaller boxes of passive tiles delivered in boxes labeled 1-5, but we also got larger boxes of passive tiles that were not labeled. I guess I don't know for sure whether they were the same size as "5" or not.

I didn't get a chance to investigate - is it 5 or 6 sizes? We had smaller boxes of passive tiles delivered in boxes labeled 1-5, but we also got larger boxes of passive tiles that were not labeled. I guess I don't know for sure whether they were the same size as "5" or not.

Pretty sure there were just 5 sizes. Maybe they added a new larger size between the time they did ours and yours? You are closer to Buffalo so maybe you got the good stuff first. I know our active tiles boxes were un-marked.

Pretty sure that TOU off peak pricing was $0.13/KWh with PG&E back in 2014. Prices have gone up quite a bit. Solar is a no brainer in CA, if you can.

Reactions: jboy210
PG&E rates are going down too. For example, EV2-A rates went down about $0.003/kWh across all time periods from the January 2020 Tariff to the May 2020 Tariff.
Hey, I didn't say it was a lot, but it did go down. ;)

Don't spend that savings all in one place!

Also for us the EV rates don't make sense since we work from home. My wife has 500 miles on her model 3 she picked up in December. My X has only 14,000 miles in over 2 years.

I'd guess those were full size and the partials come in 7.5 inch increments vs 9 inch increments if there were 5 sizes total. Cuts down on the size of the trim piece needed.
6 also lines up with half tab resolution of a 3 tab shingle (not that that means anything)

Pretty sure there were just 5 sizes. Maybe they added a new larger size between the time they did ours and yours? You are closer to Buffalo so maybe you got the good stuff first. I know our active tiles boxes were un-marked.
Like I said, didn't check to be sure, so who knows. What we got were two pallets of miscellaneous "stuff" that seemed to include things like the edge pieces, flashing, vent covers, ridge and hip pieces, and the various small non-solar tiles (and I'm sure other things.) Those were in their own smaller boxes within the large, pallet-sized boxes, and the smaller boxes were labeled with large numbers (1-5.) At first, I thought it was some sort of install order, until I realized it referred to the relative size.

Then, we got multiple large, pallet-sized boxes of panels - both PV and non-producing - and I didn't see big labels on those boxes.

And yeah, we did get everything trucked straight in from Buffalo - we actually lost a bit of time because they only delivered a limited number of PV panels in the first tranche, and the truck was delayed driving down with the next batch, and apparently also took a wrong turn to end up in Virginia. So the afternoon delivery didn't happen until the next morning.

I'd guess those were full size and the partials come in 7.5 inch increments vs 9 inch increments if there were 5 sizes total. Cuts down on the size of the trim piece needed.
6 also lines up with half tab resolution of a 3 tab shingle (not that that means anything)
The half-size piece had been one of my thoughts, since they tile the roof by offsetting each row one-half of a panel width.

Edited to add that I looked through pictures from the install. Though I didn't try to get pictures of the numbers, I found clear pictures for "2" and 3". The "2" are clearly labeled "SRNFT 1/3" and the "3" as "SRNFT 1/2", so I do think that they are setup in sixths. (I found a "1" that looks like it might say "1/6", but the angle is not good enough to be certain.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mongo
The half-size piece had been one of my thoughts, since they tile the roof by offsetting each row one-half of a panel width.

Edited to add that I looked through pictures from the install. Though I didn't try to get pictures of the numbers, I found clear pictures for "2" and 3". The "2" are clearly labeled "SRNFT 1/3" and the "3" as "SRNFT 1/2", so I do think that they are setup in sixths. (I found a "1" that looks like it might say "1/6", but the angle is not good enough to be certain.)
Oh geeze, yeah. To get a half tile offset, there must be an even number of sizes. (Odd number of partial sizes)

Well, I don't know about the payback, but Tesla tiles sure look cool!!!! What percent are active tiles vs inactive tiles??

I'm not sure.... design show about 30% of roof as active tiles - almost half west facing?. See design below (note - design does not show the additional 1,700 sq ft screened in patio/pool/outdoor kitchen). Also, they are saying roof is over 7,300 sq ft (I have the original blue prints that show 5,800 sq ft roof)!! But here's the "quote" - not sure if that helps.

Solar Roof $100,041.90 Solar Roof (7350.466 square feet) $41,162.61 Solar Roof (22.219 kW) 1 $58,879.29

Capture - design.PNG

I'm not sure.... design show about 30% of roof as active tiles - almost half west facing?. See design below (note - design does not show the additional 1,700 sq ft screened in patio/pool/outdoor kitchen). Also, they are saying roof is over 7,300 sq ft (I have the original blue prints that show 5,800 sq ft roof)!! But here's the "quote" - not sure if that helps.

Solar Roof $100,041.90 Solar Roof (7350.466 square feet) $41,162.61 Solar Roof (22.219 kW) 1 $58,879.29
That is an impressive array of tiles there.

I would definitely check in with Tesla if your information on roof size is that far off - I and others have noted they sometimes make errors on these documents - maybe they somehow included the screened-in portion even though it is excluded in the drawings. The size could be off slightly based on the source they used for the roof dimensions, but not by that much.

Also, they are saying roof is over 7,300 sq ft (I have the original blue prints that show 5,800 sq ft roof)!! But here's the "quote" - not sure if that helps.

If the 5,800 was ground coverage, but the 7,300 is actually roofing required, that could make sense.
Edit: and lines up with a 30 degree pitch.
Cos(30) = 0.866
5,800/7,300 = 0.79

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Hi all, long story, but I will try and abbreviate.

Here's my intent: I received my new model Y (3/21/20) in GA, and already bough a new home in FL. So I said to myself (I'm old, I can talk to myself)... I should charge my new MY in my new home with solar!!!! Sounded reasonable at the time....

So my initial order with Tesla was for a 15.12 kw panel (315w version) with 4 power walls (order placed o/a 25 April 20). Cost estimate was $57k. In mid June (after lots of picture transfers, HOA approvals etc) I received an install date of 1 July 20.

1 July 20: Those Tesla guys were right on time! Two trucks and 3 cars full of folks. Lead guy was very nice and new his stuff. TANGENT: Unfortunately the design he had and the one I received through my Tesla account were not the same. Not really a big deal, but I submitted the online design and received approval from my HOA, and was a bit concerned they (HOA) may notice the change in design.

So we agreed on placement etc after talking alternatives, and they proceeded to remove landscaping to access the outside wall for the powerwalls, inverters etc. While we discussed placement and options the teams off loaded the two trucks and propositioned them for install. All was going great!!!!

Then the roofing team discovered I had a "granulation" problem with my tiles. Basically when they stepped on the tiles, the tiles shed the top layer... sorta like stepping on miniature BBs on a 30 degree roof. After consulting with (someone) it was decided they could not install the panels. So they packed up and left.

So apparently I needed a new roof. Tesla provided an est later that day that they would do a "partial" re-roof for an additional $40k. I declined. Cancelled the order and did the math.

$40 k for a new roof.
$57 k for 15.2 kw w/4 powar walls.
Total: $97k (and 1/2 new roof)
ROI at ave $400/mo electric = ($97k/4.8k) 20+ years (11.8 years ($57k/$4.8k) if I didn't need a new roof)

OR...

22 kw system, with the same 4 power walls for $134k. (about $96k for solar glass plus equivalent of $40 k for new roof)
New roof w/25 year guarantee - check
Solar Glass Roof - check
ROI at ave $400/mo electric = ($134k/$4.8k) 27.9 years. (19.5 year without need for a new roof)
Estimated increase in house value at 15% ($750k *.15) = $112k

$134k (Solar Glass install price)- $112k (Increase in home value) = $22k out of pocket cost
New ROI = ($22k/$4.8k) = 4.5 years

So my math assumptions may be a bit off (but I'm trying to justify all this to the wife!)

So I'm thinking more power generation, increase home value, better visual look for home than panels = what the heck, why not?? Sounds like a great idea!!!

I'll post before, during, and after picks if anyone is interested. I know I have been very liberal with assumptions about values and if I should include roof costs with ROI... but I WANT

I think all of this calculation is just to hide the fact that you just don't want to admit you did it because you think it's cool and don't want to offend those of us that might find it an extravagant display of wealth. It's your money, do with it what makes you happy; I have never seen a Brinks truck at a funeral.

View attachment 561265

I look forward to seeing the “after” photos!

Like I said, didn't check to be sure, so who knows. What we got were two pallets of miscellaneous "stuff" that seemed to include things like the edge pieces, flashing, vent covers, ridge and hip pieces, and the various small non-solar tiles (and I'm sure other things.) Those were in their own smaller boxes within the large, pallet-sized boxes, and the smaller boxes were labeled with large numbers (1-5.) At first, I thought it was some sort of install order, until I realized it referred to the relative size.

Then, we got multiple large, pallet-sized boxes of panels - both PV and non-producing - and I didn't see big labels on those boxes.

And yeah, we did get everything trucked straight in from Buffalo - we actually lost a bit of time because they only delivered a limited number of PV panels in the first tranche, and the truck was delayed driving down with the next batch, and apparently also took a wrong turn to end up in Virginia. So the afternoon delivery didn't happen until the next morning.

We were a little overwhelmed by the number boxes. But the Tesla guys seemed to be expecting everything. The Tesla warehouse for solar is in Livermore so relatively close by. Seemed like every day a new truck showed up with stuff. They also parked a box truck full of tools and gear in front of the house for the duration of the install to act as a local shop/tool/parts storage.