Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I ordered 22+ kw solar glass roof for $134k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were a little overwhelmed by the number boxes. But the Tesla guys seemed to be expecting everything. The Tesla warehouse for solar is in Livermore so relatively close by. Seemed like every day a new truck showed up with stuff. They also parked a box truck full of tools and gear in front of the house for the duration of the install to act as a local shop/tool/parts storage.
Yeah, they parked a truck in our drive as well. The difference out here is they install crew told me (so take it for what it's worth) they are no longer warehousing the materials locally - everything is being delivered from Buffalo to save money on warehousing. I have no idea how far from Buffalo they are applying that philosophy, but apparently at least to the DC area. I would assume that FL, like you saw in CA, will have at least a regional warehouse closer to them.

I think all of this calculation is just to hide the fact that you just don't want to admit you did it because you think it's cool and don't want to offend those of us that might find it an extravagant display of wealth. It's your money, do with it what makes you happy; I have never seen a Brinks truck at a funeral.

Ok, I'll admit... I thinks it's cool!
I'm retired now and do have some extra cash, but working since I was 15 yo and scrimping/getting buy these last 45 years allowed me to do some smart investments along the way. I just retired this past March, bought my dream home and want to enjoy the years I have left.

My intent was not to display wealth, but to provide another view of buying a solar roof. (And I wanted the feed back that this forum has provided me! I've learned more in the last few days from this forum then doing a month of research...)

So keep the recommendations and comments coming! And I'll try to continue to post updates on this project.

Reactions: KenC
How old is the roof ? It looks to be about a half worn out and needs a cleaning if you are going to keep the existing roof. Will you be able to clean the leaves and debris at the junction where the roof and pool screen comes together after the glass panels are installed ?

Ok, I'll admit... I thinks it's cool!
I'm retired now and do have some extra cash, but working since I was 15 yo and scrimping/getting buy these last 45 years allowed me to do some smart investments along the way. I just retired this past March, bought my dream home and want to enjoy the years I have left.

My intent was not to display wealth, but to provide another view of buying a solar roof. (And I wanted the feed back that this forum has provided me! I've learned more in the last few days from this forum then doing a month of research...)

So keep the recommendations and comments coming! And I'll try to continue to post updates on this project.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of your labor!

Your rates are going down????

In Northern California we pay $0.40 peak, 0.32 off-peak in summer, and 0.21 off-peak in winter. And the rates are going up. I believe San Diego is higher and LA DWP is lower. But I have never heard of rates going down. I seem to remember paying $0.11/kW in the 90s.

NV Energy has been lowering rates. Rate is lower now than in 2014. One more rate cut coming in Jan 2021. Market pressure as cost of rooftop drops and also cost of operation going down as NV Energy is getting bids of 2.3 cents a kWh of solar+storage.

Nevada’s 2.3-Cent Bid Beats Arizona’s Record-Low Solar PPA Price

NV Energy has been lowering rates. Rate is lower now than in 2014. One more rate cut coming in Jan 2021. Market pressure as cost of rooftop drops and also cost of operation going down as NV Energy is getting bids of 2.3 cents a kWh of solar+storage.

Nevada’s 2.3-Cent Bid Beats Arizona’s Record-Low Solar PPA Price

I've found that it helps to take a really long-term look at electricity rates before coming to conclusions over trends. The Bureau of Labor Statistics compiles electricity prices per kWh since the late 1970s until today as a part of the Consumer Price Index. Here's the chart for the Washington DC metro area from 1978 until a few months ago:

image.png

Looking at the last decade, prices have actually fallen since the Great Recession, but there was a prolonged increase long before then. It's not enough evidence to say that prices will increase in the future, but it's enough to tell me that future prices are hard to predict.

• Informative
Reactions: All In
I've found that it helps to take a really long-term look at electricity rates before coming to conclusions over trends. The Bureau of Labor Statistics compiles electricity prices per kWh since the late 1970s until today as a part of the Consumer Price Index. Here's the chart for the Washington DC metro area from 1978 until a few months ago:

View attachment 561404

Looking at the last decade, prices have actually fallen since the Great Recession, but there was a prolonged increase long before then. It's not enough evidence to say that prices will increase in the future, but it's enough to tell me that future prices are hard to predict.

OK, now adjust that chart to reflect real value, not nominal value.

How old is the roof ? It looks to be about a half worn out and needs a cleaning if you are going to keep the existing roof. Will you be able to clean the leaves and debris at the junction where the roof and pool screen comes together after the glass panels are installed ?

Roof is about 18 years old. Had the roof and gutters cleaned about a month ago. Not keeping the existing roof, as the solar glass replaces the entire roof. Future cleaning should be easy, as you can walk on the solar glass (I think).

Roof is about 18 years old. Had the roof and gutters cleaned about a month ago. Not keeping the existing roof, as the solar glass replaces the entire roof. Future cleaning should be easy, as you can walk on the solar glass (I think).
You can walk on the solar glass, though I at least am hoping there will be little need to do so for cleaning as I would expect it to mostly be kept clean enough with rain.

As far as walking on it goes, remember the "glass" part of Solarglass. If the roof is at all wet from dew, rain, or you cleaning with a hose assume it is ice covered and don't go up there until it is completely dry. Realistically in Florida I am not sure you would ever need to go up and clean, since rain cleans it pretty well. But if you decide you want to go up there be very careful. I watched, and more often heard, several Tesla installers slip on the roof because of a little moisture. They are tightly roofed up when they get on a roof and this is not just for show.

Realistically in Florida I am not sure you would ever need to go up and clean, since rain cleans it pretty well

Agree, but we have many large Oak trees with LOTS of Spanish Moss. That's the major thing I'm worried about - covering up the solar glass and clogging the gutters. Last month when I had the gutter folks clean the gutters, they also removed the spanish moss from the roof. You can see some of it in the pictures I posted at the beginning of this thread (about post #10).

As far as walking on it goes, remember the "glass" part of Solarglass. If the roof is at all wet from dew, rain, or you cleaning with a hose assume it is ice covered and don't go up there until it is completely dry. Realistically in Florida I am not sure you would ever need to go up and clean, since rain cleans it pretty well. But if you decide you want to go up there be very careful. I watched, and more often heard, several Tesla installers slip on the roof because of a little moisture. They are tightly roofed up when they get on a roof and this is not just for show.

Makes me wonder if certain footware could be used to safely walk on a Solarglass roof. I used to have a pair of shoes like these for walking on wet fiberglass hulls: GILL Men's Edge Boots | West Marine

I bet shoes with similar soles could make walking on Solarglass safer.

Just a quick update - nothing going on! Assume permits are being requested etc....

However, the HOA did contact me today and asked for a sample of the solar glass tile (snicker)... I contacted Tesla and asked, but I already knew what the reply would be... they don't provide samples. I did some screen prints from my tesla account and from the web (along with URL) for my response.

I also told them were they could go see a sample (Orlando Tesla Service center - about 75 miles away). I'm hoping they enjoy the drive!!

Only a bit concerned at this point on getting HOA approval....

Just a quick update - nothing going on! Assume permits are being requested etc....

However, the HOA did contact me today and asked for a sample of the solar glass tile (snicker)... I contacted Tesla and asked, but I already knew what the reply would be... they don't provide samples. I did some screen prints from my tesla account and from the web (along with URL) for my response.

I also told them were they could go see a sample (Orlando Tesla Service center - about 75 miles away). I'm hoping they enjoy the drive!!

Only a bit concerned at this point on getting HOA approval....

I can send you pictures of a tile or of my roof. PM me if I can be of help.

Solar will only increase the closing price of a home if it appraises, and that means there needs to be adequate density of homes with solar within 1 1/2 miles that have sold within the current buying trend cycle to demonstrate that buyers are willing to waive appraisal contingencies or pay more cash to get solar panels. If there's no basis for comparison, appraisers are not assigning a magic value to solar.

I heard the solar adds 3% to the value of your home argument, then got out my shovel and found that it stunk when I was done. I bought anyway, but I tossed out resale value boost.
Correct. Same happened when my home was appraised. No comps = no added value. There is a method to appraise without comps, but nobody wants to bother with it.

• Informative
Reactions: All In
Correct. Same happened when my home was appraised. No comps = no added value. There is a method to appraise without comps, but nobody wants to bother with it.

Similar experience as I just refi'ed my house. I asked the appraiser if solar would add anything to the value of my house and he said it wouldn't add anything. At least I won't have to keep writing Edison big checks every summer.