Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I ordered 22+ kw solar glass roof for $134k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick update - nothing going on! Assume permits are being requested etc....

However, the HOA did contact me today and asked for a sample of the solar glass tile (snicker)... I contacted Tesla and asked, but I already knew what the reply would be... they don't provide samples. I did some screen prints from my tesla account and from the web (along with URL) for my response.

I also told them were they could go see a sample (Orlando Tesla Service center - about 75 miles away). I'm hoping they enjoy the drive!!

Only a bit concerned at this point on getting HOA approval....
Tell Cynthia the roof will look great.

• Funny
Reactions: Janus
There is an airspace under the tiles, so heat conduction from the first surface is mostly eliminated (vs shingles) and there is a natural convection through the gap to cool the roof deck from the back side's radiative heating.

Does this apply to solar panels as well, i.e., keeping the attic cooler (as compared to not having solar)?

Also, are cement tiles cooler than asphalt shingles?

Beautiful home!

Which design of solar roof tile have you chosen?

um... I only had one choice for the design....I think - I never saw an option!. Oh, and thank you for the comment on the house.... It's our "Forever Home".
Time is ticking buy... it's been 6+ weeks from the order/sign date. Sent off a msg earlier today to the "Tesla cloud" asking for an update...
Request update. We've been in the permit stage close to 6 weeks. Haven't heard anything in the last month. Do you need anything from me? I'd like to add my Tesla Charger installed as part of the package, but am afraid it may delay the solar install by a few years.... My performance MY is crying when I plug it in to the wall socket...

This is $100k+ order, just thought I'd get reasonable updates/status...

--
William Woolf Sr, MBA, PMP

Reactions: LadyLion
Does this apply to solar panels as well, i.e., keeping the attic cooler (as compared to not having solar)?

Also, are cement tiles cooler than asphalt shingles?

Yes, solar panels help shield the house from the sun and make things cooler, however for most it probably isn't noticeable. Here is an article which talks about it:

Do solar panels keep your roof and attic cooler?

No idea on if cement tiles are cooler than asphalt shingles. My guess would be the underside of the roof might be slightly cooler because of the thickness of the concrete tile and some of the air between the concrete tile and the underlayment acting as a bit of insulation.

I guess this is my September update... I called my PM's phone and it went straight to voice mail.... wait for it..... the voice mail box was full.
Sigh.... did a chat on 9/8/20 (Tue) and was told someone would contact me immediately.... It's now 9/11/20 afternoon and no contact.

Has anyone else been treated like the proverbial mushroom?

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I guess this is my September update... I called my PM's phone and it went straight to voice mail.... wait for it..... the voice mail box was full.
Sigh.... did a chat on 9/8/20 (Tue) and was told someone would contact me immediately.... It's now 9/11/20 afternoon and no contact.

Similar size project for solar glass and 3 PWs...and treated same way. Could rarely (maybe once) get a hold of my project manager by phone, text or email (certainly something left to be desired on the customer service side of things). Taking the best point of view of the situation, my assumption is that they are good people just completely understaffed and overwhelmed for the demand for services requested.

I ended taking a more direct involvement in the permitting process locally (not ideal, but at least understood what was going on a little more). Unfortunately was even told by a new PM that took over that my permitting actually had not even been submitted, when in fact I knew it actually had been submitted several months prior (before COVID) as I possessed copies of it from the local govt Building Permit office. In end, paid for the permits myself for final bldg approval and sent copies to Tesla for their confirmation in order to get on the installation schedule. o_O

Recommend...Instead of the PM, trying calling different number to contact with Tesla Solar and communicate with other person to express your challenges in getting an answer for update. Sales will always seem to have a real person to talk to. That may get a better response in the end as it logging/tracking complaints in their system from a QI standpoint as opposed to your "missed" phone call or even email attempts. May or may not help, but at least it did seem that there was a little more of a response afterward.
Feel for you, but realize in no way are you alone in your frustration.

Good luck ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

For 6 figures, I'd expect Elon to design and install your system himself

I get them not being too worried about a 10-20k project. But a $134k project you would expect some personalized service.

Reactions: preilly44
We have solar glass installed. 21kw with 3 powerwalls. Cost is just a bit north of $100k. We're still waiting for final inspection approval. Believe it or not, the only hold up is gutter guards for our existing gutters. Apparently any new roof installation requires gutter guards, if in a high fire risk area. A surprise, but i understand it.

Within a week a subcontractor gave Tesla a bid for the work. It's been 3 weeks no progress. Project Manager only says that it's been submitted to a Tesla manager for approval.

Reactions: Cshama
Also as I mentioned, we have solar glass installed. 21kw with 3 powerwalls. Cost is just a bit north of $100k. Very disappointed on the production level. Over the last month our daily averaged in the low 30kwh. Only once going over 40kwh. The promised annual generation, given our house orientation and trees, was 25mwh, or a simple average of 70kwh per day.

I would advise caution.

• Informative
Also as I mentioned, we have solar glass installed. 21kw with 3 powerwalls. Cost is just a bit north of $100k. Very disappointed on the production level. Over the last month our daily averaged in the low 30kwh. Only once going over 40kwh. The promised annual generation, given our house orientation and trees, was 25mwh, or a simple average of 70kwh per day.

I would advise caution.
I'm guessing that until you get PTO, Tesla isn't going to look at system issues in detail, but if you are running the system full-time and you have had full-sun days (and I don't know how much smoke you have been getting where you are, but I'm assuming it has not been a constant for the last month) in August/September maxing out 40 kWh when your average should be 70 kWh, something seems to be wrong. With that size system, how many inverters do you have? Is it possible one is not operating or not reporting properly?

By way of comparison, I have a ~8.2 kW solar roof, and hit 30 kWh two days ago in (essentially) full sun, despite having half my PV on a north-facing roof (and, though on the other side of the country, similar latitude.) And so far, 2 months into operation, the production is running in the area of 5%-10% above what I would expect based on the Tesla estimates. (My daily average should be close to 22 kWh according to Tesla, though I expect more than that for the two months to date since it is summer.)

Hi all, it's me again... Finally got all my permits/design completed. Tesla came out to check the roof/attic about 3 weeks ago (3/16/20) and all looked good. Guy gave me a window of 2-4 weeks to finalize installation schedule. Tesla account online shifted to "scheduling".

Last week I received an email to confirm my payment method (cash, no change).

Today I received an email to "review and accept my design". No change on anything except the price went from $130,582.90 to $180,097.56!!! This is AFTER I received word that everything was ready and waiting on scheduling (all permits where approved). Not sure what to do but I'm not paying an extra $50k...

Already sent off an email to Florida AG requesting guidance.

Has anyone else been fleeced by Tesla like this??? WTF X 10 !

Moderator note: Removed attachments that included some personal information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, seems to be going around today.

I saw several posts on another online forum as well. Seems like the non-solar roof portion has been adjusted across the board.

Today I received an email to "review and accept my design". No change on anything except the price went from $130,582.90 to $180,097.56!!! This is AFTER I received word that everything was ready and waiting on scheduling (all permits where approved). Not sure what to do but I'm not paying an extra $50k...

Already sent off an email to Florida AG requesting guidance.

So you have contacted the AG before you even contacted Tesla to let them know about their mistake and ask them to fix it?

My guess is that your contract got re-priced to current pricing automatically by some automated process, and that was a mistake that Tesla needs to fix.

So you have contacted the AG before you even contacted Tesla to let them know about their mistake and ask them to fix it?

My guess is that your contract got re-priced to current pricing automatically by some automated process, and that was a mistake that Tesla needs to fix.

After reading some of these posts on the emails received today, my husband wondered the same thing about automated notices. He thought if you already had gone through permitting it could likely be a mistake. Hope that’s true for all of you far along the process.

When Tesla dropped the pricing on solar panels and brought out the 340s replacing the 315s, they redid our contract automatically and for most orders placed I was told at the time, and as long as there wasn’t an install date yet we got the cost savings (those already scheduled did not as materials had already been pulled for them was my understanding). However we were talking about a savings not an increase across orders but still these batches of emails seem off from what I’ve know of Tesla having ordered back in January 2020.

Yes, I may have been a bit premature on my part for contacting the AG (frustration level = Max), but I did try and contact my PM both by phone (no answer and voice msg box was full) and via e-mail (no response). Over nine months of waiting on "someone else" (i.e it's in design, or waiting on permits, or it's waiting on a day that doesn't end in "Y")....

If it was an automated snafu, I can see that. If not... just DAMN!

• Informative
Wow...sorry to hear of your torture. I thought for sure you would have been completed by now from your posts last summer.
Bummer...
I would certainly call main number in early morning and elevate level of concern about repricing of contract, instead of trying to contact PM. I found most responsiveness from Tesla this way.

I've cancelled the project. Almost a year into it, (all permits completed, inspection done and was just waiting on scheduling) but I won't do a $50k price increase. Current roof is good for another 5 years, I'll wait and see what these Tesla idiots do... or find a similar product thru someone else.