Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I recommend AGAINST buying a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Theft is as the unauthorized taking of property from another with the intent to permanently deprive them of it. That is what Tesla did to thousands of us. The thread is linked above but it's full of facts not conspiracy so if you were hoping to find like minded illumination for your amusement you'll be disappointed in the reality of what is basically just felonious corporate malware.

Not to sidetrack a side convo, but I'm with the OP.

I like the car, dislike the company. Between all the broken promises and various software changes to "protect the customer" (which thankfully haven't affected me), I don't recommend the S to anyone.

And my car has been completely unreliable. I've been through 1 HV battery replacement, 2 12V replacements, 7 door handles, 2 auto dimming exterior mirrors, GPS drift issues (something was replaced), AC condensor malfunction, parking sensor failure, fogging headlights refused warranty replacement, rear applique water retention replacement, pano roof leaking x2, failed louver, $450 u-joint, $135 DIY head light replacement, $650 HV battery heater replacement, $2500 HV charger replacement which left me stranded when the car wouldn't supercharge on a road trip, etc. etc. etc.

The 3 has been reliable.

Once my battery warranty runs out, I'll shop the market and in order of preference chose an option from below:
1. A sporty, sub $50k, 200 mile+ non-Tesla EV
2. Get another Model 3 + rent an ICE for road trips

Model $ (sorry, meant "S"), isn't even on the list.

Last edited:
"Very clear" to who? The people with a vested interest in that being true? That's not a particularly interesting or compelling argument to me, and I find nothing "very clear" on the details of this particular case and how they do or don't relate to any existing laws.

Very clear to me (and many others). tesla took 10kWh of capacity, 40kW of performance, and dramatically slowed my supercharging w/o explanation - overnight and w/o my permission. They did this by limiting the individual cell voltages at 100%. These are capabilities for which I paid about $40k. That’s theft, at least in CA.

CA Penal Code Section 502 c 1.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (h), any person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of a public offense:

(1) Knowingly accesses and without permission alters, damages, deletes, destroys, or otherwise uses any data, computer, computer system, or computer network in order to either (A) devise or execute any scheme or artifice to defraud, deceive, or extort, or (B) wrongfully control or obtain money, property, or data.

I’m glad you’re not impacted - yet. Good luck with those firmware updates.

Very clear to me (and many others). tesla took 10kWh of capacity, 40kW of performance, and dramatically slowed my supercharging w/o explanation - overnight and w/o my permission. They did this by limiting the individual cell voltages at 100%. These are capabilities for which I paid about $40k. That’s theft, at least in CA.

CA Penal Code Section 502 c 1.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (h), any person who commits any of the following acts is guilty of a public offense:

(1) Knowingly accesses and without permission alters, damages, deletes, destroys, or otherwise uses any data, computer, computer system, or computer network in order to either (A) devise or execute any scheme or artifice to defraud, deceive, or extort, or (B) wrongfully control or obtain money, property, or data.

I’m glad you’re not impacted - yet. Good luck with those firmware updates.

Just so I’m clear - you are the actual litigant that brought the class action, yes? Apologies if I’m confusing you for someone else.

As for your case - IANAL, and I’m pretty sure you aren’t either - but it seems far from foregone and “very clear” that Tesla committed any actions with the purpose to “(A) devise or execute any scheme or artifice to defraud, deceive, or extort, or (B) wrongfully control or obtain money, property, or data.“

Anyway. This is getting absurd, and there’s already a 500 page thread for your cohort to endlessly affirm each others’ opinion on this subject, so I’ll really and truly drop it this time to prevent the spread of this issue to dominate yet another thread.

Every once in a while in these great threads, we should all remember how fortunate we are to be debating things about such amazing cars.

Many people (most?) consider taxation to be theft.

Ownership, privilege, greed, entitlement - it is sort of natural in an organism. Might be a calming force to grow out of it.

I remember being very angry at Honda for the Civic hybrid battery issue. That was world's worse than even the worst issue here. Selling wasn't a great option because I was putting a crap car on someone else. Honda did replace it - after AG complaint. And I sold it a year later after I was comfortable the battery was doing fine. A local refurb battery also became available for cheap. Otherwise it was like $6k for a 1 kwh (?) battery.

In retrospect, driving newer technology is a bit of a gamble. And I did it again with Tesla. And no problems here. Best car ever. Don't own TSLA (but do buy on dips at times)

in these great threads, we should all remember how fortunate we are

Especially at this time of year.

Tesla is full of conflicting forces. Do we want and need totally new approaches to old challenges? Of course! Do we want to get what we pay for? Yes, sure. Do we like the promise of great new prospective projects? Absolutely! Are we prepared to 'invest in / buy products from' new companies to support their efforts to shake things up? Definitely. Does life offer any dead certain guarantees? Sorry, nope. Does demanding your pound of flesh recognise the challenges facing and efforts made by the business you are otherwise so willing to support? Probably not.

No one is forced to buy anything at any particular moment. I waited until recently to finally buy a Tesla car, after having a few other EV's. I nearly bought one of the first roadsters when they were launched, and nearly went the same route this time around. In the end, I went for the Model S, dispite all its shortcomings. Like everyone else, I hopefully made the best informed purchase I could, for the right reasons, and hope it works out.

I think it is pretty obvious that when you buy a Tesla, you are knowingly buying 'work in progress'. You can see that in posts all over the internet. You are also buying from a relative newcomer as a vehicle manufacturer, who is also openly developing their product offering in every sense for the first time. Everything is new, much is being tested 'in the wild' for the first time by Tesla, and by getting one of their products you are willingly getting on board for the ride. May be there should be a disclaimer with every sale to that effect. 'The value of your investment may go up or down.' This is especially true with FSD and as far as I can see, as of today it is (for me at least) 5k spent that has little or no value. In fact I find it potentially quite dangerous in some circumstances, and if Tesla scews up, a few FSD based major accidents could really present a big problem. Forget 'light pressure on the steering wheel'! Even with two hands gripping firmly, I have had the car pull quite strongly towards traffic or suddenly slam on the brakes in free-flowing traffic. Am I up in arms about what they have 'stolen' from me by way of promised FSD performance? Well, I knew what to expect before I purchased, so I guess I have no grounds for complaint.

What I do resent is that there is not an authentic, meaningful way of feeding back my concerns to Tesla and getting honest feedback about each concern along with evidence of their approach to address the concern.

Batterygate certainly sucks. How the heck can a business not communicate and manage that situation way better than just pushing out an OTA update that on the face of it has a primarily negative impact on the cars effected. Same with charging rates. Your just shooting your own marketting efforts (even if by word of mouth) in the foot! But above all, remember that Tesla staff (with whom I have no connection) are our only worthwhile points of contact with Tesla. I have had good to excellent service for the most part from all staff I have dealt with. I have a car that I am very pleased with so far and still feel comfortable will meet my expectations for years to come. As owners / investors we (should) all do our best to bring about Tesla's success. Tesla should embrace us (much better than now) and help us in that role.

Sorry, no time for shorters. You have the wrong incentives by standing to gain from failure. By all means sit quitely on the side with your bet on failure, and all well and good if you end up winning, but only if you have absolutely no part in encouraging or promoting the failure.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Daniel, send me a pm and I will give you the details of where you can send the funds. Have no doubt that I have been appointed to regulate reality. Rest assured the cause is just..........sincerly, yours..........

Thanks. The Illuminati have contacted me via an email with a subject line concerning "male enhancement" to conceal its actual intent, and invited me to join, but their condition was that I keep their existence secret. I'm bad at keeping secrets so I had to decline. ... But I'm rooting for them from the sidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.