Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I recommend AGAINST buying a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmmm, after reading this, I thought I should drive the Tesla off a cliff and buy a horse, but then realized it would take longer for it to eat than time to charge my car and it can only trot at about 10 miles an hour :D
Said another way, I guess I am fortunate I don't have any of the issues mention by folks above with my 2016 X. Having said that, maybe I should go to the garage and see if the car is dead or alive :)
Bob Jovi?

What I tell people:
The hands down best car I've ever driven.
The hands down worst car company I've ever dealt with.
I am really hoping that Mercedes or Audi has a valid comparable offering when it comes time to get a new vehicle.

Hmmm, reminds me of what I tell my wife, when she wants to drive it.....
Honey, you really should avoid the Tesla. It is extremely dangerous and only I should be the one to risk my life to spare yours.
It's worked for 3 years. She has yet to get behind the wheel :D

I received my S90D on 25 March, 2016.

It was a fantastic car. I recommended them to everyone. My 12-hour trip between Charleston, South Carolina and Merchantville, New Jersey took 14 hours with the Tesla because of charging stops, but I knew that would be the case going in, and all the other features of the car (including the free charging on the road) easily offset that inconvenience.

Besides, from its inception until about two years ago, Tesla seemed to be genuinely "partnering" with their customers on the whole electric vehicle experience.

Then the software downgrades began. One of the biggest ones was, of course, the unannounced and draconic degrading of my charge rate. This was apparently compounded later with additional degrading. All with no notification from Tesla.

The last time I checked, my 12 hour ICE drive was now over 16 with the Tesla - over FOUR HOURS of charging. That was a year and a half ago.

Since then I've made several trips from New Jersey to Wyoming and back in the Tesla. My time at chargers amounts to a full third of my total road time. That's one third of the time I'm on the road. Any idea what that does to your average rate of travel? If you drive at a sustained 70 mph, your total average trip speed is about 46 1/2 mph!

So maybe I was just unfortunate to have purchased a 90 kw battery? Then more recently I heard about the draconian attack on non-90kw battery charge rates AND max charge levels. Some with almost new cars have reported something similar - even in a few Model 3's!

So how can Tesla be trusted to stand behind any of their products? Answer: they can't. They seem to think it's okay to degrade anything that might become a warranty issue (read: financial liability) for the company.

So when people ask about the car, I tell them about the great features, how fun it is to drive, etc. Then I tell them about the underhanded way (IMO) Tesla has dealt with the early car purchasers, and how they should avoid buying a Tesla until all this is straightened out by the courts.

I hate doing that, but even though Tesla's collective conscience may be unfazed by their treatment of loyal customers, mine will not allow me to recommend a product produced by a company that behaves in this manner.

you’re posting on the wrong forum, sir. Way too many deluded fanbois, Tesla ass kissers, Elon worshippers and other similar people on this website. Any word against Tesla is instantly met with something along the lines of “But but but other manufacturers”, “but but big oil!!”, “but but THE PLANET!”. Or a mix of all these. Like anyone here cares about the planet. If you did, you would not own a car at all, probably. And yes, I am not any better, especially now that I own an ice. If you cared about the planet, you would insist that your local, state and federal government builds a good public transit system to reduce emissions, improve transit times and reduce the number of cars on the roads. George Carlin has called out this hypocrisy a long time ago in one of his best performances. Singapore’s policy on this seems a lot better to me than just buying more cars. EV or not.

Anyway, I can’t wait to sell the last of my Tesla stuff so I don’t have to come here and check what people are posting.

Face it, Tesla has turned into a garbage company full of bullshit, unknowns and completely incompetent service personnel. A company where no one seems to know what’s going on, every SC gives different answers and opinions when asked exactly the same question, parts take ages to be produced, no one really knows what’s under warranty anymore, no one knows who has free supercharging, when they have it, how long it lasts. No one knows if the battery in their car will suddenly lose 20% of range overnight. No one knows if the next software update will brick the mcu, cause the browser to work for 3 minutes again, or make it unable to charge. Literally, 90% of info I know about Tesla was reverse engineered by people on this forum through trial and error, analyzing data from drivers and trying to figure out wtf Elon cooked up this time.

What a fantastic and transparent business. All hail Elon, the king of marketing!

Why are you even surprised you have issues?

Also, people saying Tesla is the best car they’ve ever driven - I ask you how? I owned a VW GTI and it was more fun to drive than my Model S, man. Sure, great acceleration, no other car has it. What else does it have?

Last edited:
you’re posting on the wrong forum, sir. Way too many deluded fanbois, Tesla ass kissers, Elon worshippers and other similar people on this website. Any word against Tesla is instantly met with something along the lines of “But but but other manufacturers”, “but but big oil!!”, “but but THE PLANET!”. Or a mix of all these. Like anyone here cares about the planet. If you did, you would not own a car at all, probably. And yes, I am not any better, especially now that I own an ice. If you cared about the planet, you would insist that your local, state and federal government builds a good public transit system to reduce emissions, improve transit times and reduce the number of cars on the roads. George Carlin has called out this hypocrisy a long time ago in one of his best performances. Singapore’s policy on this seems a lot better to me than just buying more cars. EV or not.

Anyway, I can’t wait to sell the last of my Tesla stuff so I don’t have to come here and check what people are posting.

Face it, Tesla has turned into a garbage company full of bullshit, unknowns and completely incompetent service personnel. A company where no one seems to know what’s going on, every SC gives different answers and opinions when asked exactly the same question, parts take ages to be produced, no one really knows what’s under warranty anymore, no one knows who has free supercharging, when they have it, how long it lasts. No one knows if the battery in their car will suddenly lose 20% of range overnight. No one knows if the next software update will brick the mcu, cause the browser to work for 3 minutes again, or make it unable to charge. Literally, 90% of info I know about Tesla was reverse engineered by people on this forum through trial and error, analyzing data from drivers and trying to figure out wtf Elon cooked up this time.

What a fantastic and transparent business. All hail Elon, the king of marketing!

Also, people saying Tesla is the best car they’ve ever driven - I ask you how? I owned a VW GTI and it was more fun to drive than my Model S, man. Sure, great acceleration, no other car has it. What else does it have?

It's so funny how people have different experiences. My 2014 has been an almost perfect car, and when I've needed service, I've dealt with nothing but purely professional individuals and had fast and great outcomes. I've NEVER experienced ANY of the issues you mentioned. My wife and I still fight over who gets to drive it. And if the prices of the X ever come down to a reasonable price, I will buy one so fast it will make your head spin.

Oh, and after almost 5 years, I still get "giddy" every time I walk in the garage to drive it and it makes the sounds of the mirrors opening and the doors coming out - it reminds me that I'm about to have some FUN.

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been the same.

“I hate all the people telling me I’m wrong to hate them. By the way, you’re all wrong for liking them”

Low cost of ownership, looks great, silent, free unlimited supercharging, free unlimited premium connectivity, nice big screen, oh and it farts.

Low cost of ownership? I spent more money and time trying to fix all the problems my car had in a year than I would have spent on 5 years of fuel and oil changes. See my point about what is and isn’t under warranty.

Looks great, yup. From the outside. I won’t say much about the interior.

Nice big yellow screen? Certainly :).

Farts. Yeah. Exactly what a car should have. Apologies for preferring handling, quality materials and craftmanship over farts. To each their own.

I just read this coincidentally, as I farted. This was not planned.
These go so well together. Kind of like when you shart in your pants

Low cost of ownership? I spent more money and time trying to fix all the problems my car had in a year than I would have spent on 5 years of fuel and oil changes. See my point about what is and isn’t under warranty.

Farts. Yeah. Exactly what a car should have. Apologies for preferring handling, quality materials and craftmanship over farts. To each their own.
....and this is a wet fart

You should have known most of this before purchase. Ie interior, handling, materials, etc. And yet you still bought it.

Reactions: Bet TSLA and Ken7
I have a 2015 70D. Perfect in every way and no issues with Tesla when I have needed them (which is close to never so there is that).
The downgrading in charging rate is certainly not cool. I haven't figured out if I have been downgraded yet - don't supercharge much.
But I think it is fair to say that we all purchased knowing that we were beta testers on battery longevity and charging. Mostly, we are doing pretty well. I have 7% or so at 80k miles.
Tesla has been far from perfect regarding all this. It would be nice if they would come forward and offer us battery replacement options or rejuvenation as well as MCU options. Not that I am ready for these things but would be nice to know what I would be able to do in a few years. I am perfectly fine holding this car for 10+ years especially if I could upgrade the computer and the battery (if needed).
Replacement would be another S for various reasons so Tesla doesn't really have any great motivation. I would never downgrade efficiency and for that there is no substitute on the horizon.

Cannot find a reference anywhere that requires you to come here and check what people are posting. While I cannot act in an official moderators capacity I will step up and say "you are free to go; don't read or post anything else despite still owning Tesla stuff". If I take heat for that decision or someone harasses you send them my way and I will take your heat. Enjoy the after Tesla life.

Status
Not open for further replies.