Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below are measurements i made on my Raven model S at 55 mph and 35 mph using a Zoom H2 recorder and Audacity FFT analysis.
Peaks (tones) are observed near 4 KHz at both speeds and more peaks at 11 and 13 KHz at the higher speed.
It appears that the high pitched noise is simlar to that reported in this thread.
My guess it ithat the noise is related to the new front motor.
I would like to have this fixed, since I did not hear these whistles on my pre-Raven S.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 3.30.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 3.44.21 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Below are measurements i made on my Raven model S at 55 mph and 35 mph using a Zoom H2 recorder and Audacity FFT analysis.
Peaks (tones) are observed near 4 KHz at both speeds and more peaks at 11 and 13 KHz at the higher speed.
It appears that the high pitched noise is simlar to that reported in this thread.
I would like to have this fixed, since I did not hear these whistles on my pre-Raven S.

View attachment 435157 View attachment 435158

The noise will have a linear relationship with speed. It's permanent magnet cogging, as above. The motor is just not as smooth as the old induction motor.

I'll be amazed if Tesla does anything. They already either did the best they could, or found the noise to be acceptable.

Hi Guys,
Just want to share my recent experience with Tesla. I bought and returned 2019 Model X due to some high pitch sound in Cabin.
I wrote my whole experience with some technical analysis here. For people who are thinking buying one,
please definitely check out following post: Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X?
Hi, sorry about you issue.

I'm a little puzzle now about getting a Model X. Test drive are a little bit short for making a decision.
I was considering to rent one over the weekend to get a better feeling but finding a Raven is not easy.
I know you can return it but this seems to be a lot of trouble too.

- I was wondering if you were able to get your payment back, or how long it took or will take to get it back?

- Just by curiosity, what equivalent car you bought, or plan to buy istead, or hesitate or been hesitating between?

- Would you recommend trying finding a pre-Raven instead?

View attachment 435157 View attachment 435158

Interesting finding, Tesla told us it is related to front motor but did not tell us the exact mechanics of the noise. Can you actually it hear it?

my answers inline:

Hi, sorry about you issue.

I'm a little puzzle now about getting a Model X. Test drive are a little bit short for making a decision.
I was considering to rent one over the weekend to get a better feeling but finding a Raven is not easy.
I know you can return it but this seems to be a lot of trouble too.

Yes, renting one for couple of days would be a way to go, I wish I have done it.

- I was wondering if you were able to get your payment back, or how long it took or will take to get it back?

Still waiting on my payment. they told me 4-6 weeks.

- Just by curiosity, what equivalent car you bought, or plan to buy istead, or hesitate or been hesitating between?

We plan to test drive Lexus RX450h, GLE 450 and audi q7.

- Would you recommend trying finding a pre-Raven instead?

I think it depends on the car condition and remaining life of battery. You can certainly look into it, but do some research.

• Informative
I am considering trading in a 2018 Model S for a Raven S. Very interesting info here. On the short test drive I had, I did not hear any high-pitched whine, but I did not know about this issue at that time.

I listened to the audio sample the OP provided. I can hear the 4 KHz whine in the beginning of the clip, but it got much fainter after about the 7 second mark. In real life, was the whine amplitude constant (at a constant vehicle speed)? Anyone knows whether the problem is more severe in the Model S?

Is there a way to rent a Raven S for a day? Or maybe get a longer test drive to take it to the freeway?

I am considering trading in a 2018 Model S for a Raven S. Very interesting info here. On the short test drive I had, I did not hear any high-pitched whine, but I did not know about this issue at that time.

I listened to the audio sample the OP provided. I can hear the 4 KHz whine in the beginning of the clip, but it got much fainter after about the 7 second mark. In real life, was the whine amplitude constant (at a constant vehicle speed)? Anyone knows whether the problem is more severe in the Model S?

Is there a way to rent a Raven S for a day? Or maybe get a longer test drive to take it to the freeway?

Doesn't any of the Bay Area showrooms have an S Raven you can test drive?

• Helpful
Reactions: Luisito
I just test-drove the raven S a couple of hours ago. I can hear the high pitch whine, but it's at a very low level. I don't think I would be bothered by it.

Great. I hear a bit of whine in mine, but only at certain speeds say 25-40 mph. It is like a much quieter version of a BART when they first start off from a station. When I drove forklifts they made a similar noise when acclerating. So to me it is just electrical motor whine like ICE engines have exhaust noise.

The senior Tesla tech in my area agreed he could hear the whistles and took a recording using a Tascam portable recorder. He escalated the sound clip to the Tesla NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) engineers who have reported back stating the noise heard is well within the expected range. I interpret this to mean that there is no solution offered by Tesla.

I have driven 3 examples of 2018 models without any whistles and 3 examples of Raven, all with whistles.

Some people like the OP and me are very annoyed by the whistles, others not so much or not at all.

If you are one of those who is annoyed, what to do?

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus

Yes for me, it was constant and therefore annoying from about 50-80mph.

So both the performance and long range have the same noise?

Does the 3 have the same whine?
On the Model 3 LR AWD, you can slightly hear when the front motor get engaged, like when doing sudden accelerations,
but I never noticed a whining noise, I think the road noise would be more noticable.

I started to become a little bit picky on this subject, by preferring riding on a less noisy road, when I have the choice,
even if I have to make a little detour.

Just picked up a Raven Model S. I hear the whine but only at highway speeds and only when motor is at certain RPMs. Specifically when it is consuming <15 KW or generating <15KW or so. Outside of that range the noise is non-existent for me. The issue isn't nearly bad enough for me to return the car, and many times road/traffic noise or the sound system drowns it out completely.

• Informative
The 3 has a permanent magnet motor in the rear and an induction motor in the front. Therefore, the rear motor in the 3 is the appropriate one to compare to the front motor in the S/X Raven refresh. OP, the ~4kHz tone in your audio sounds identical to the tone I hear in my RWD 3 under hard acceleration at any speed.