Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I returned the Performance M3 and ordered a Long Range, last week.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

So I pickup up my Model 3 Performance 2 weeks ago (pre-refresh) not sure of the impact or when the refresh would take place it wasn't a factor.

I got a sizable £5k discount from the new list price as the car had 1,600 miles on the clock.

Problems

Initial Thoughts

When I was first shown the car, at the Dartford Depot in London, it had 40 miles of charge this was quite concerning considering it wouldn't have been remotely adequate to get back home. Luckily there was a Supercharger located in the staff area. There was also heavy damage on the vehicle, the car had heavily damaged wheels, scratches on the trim along with a missing sun-visor mount - strange. Whilst the vehicle was discounted due to the 1,600 miles, it was sold as new therefore the level of damage wasn't acceptable. I was fine with the interior scuffing however we were unimpressed with the condition of the car.

Tesla's response

The delivery individual said our only option was to take pictures of all the damage and schedule a service and try to get the stuff fixed. This was shocking. I'm picking up a 'new' god damn car and don't want to be taking pictures unsure if I've missed something and am therefore liable. I was reassured with the 7 day return but that would just be a hassle. Anyway, as it was getting quite late and the day had been stressful enough, we took delivery and made our way back.

Driving the car

God damn, as soon as we set off all the problems effectively melted away. It's ridiculous and annoying that a car can have as many flaws as it did yet still be awe-inspiring. Over the next few days we put a total of 600 miles on the clock and figured the car out, by day 4 I had my mind set. I would be getting a Tesla, just not this one. I wanted confirmation all the damage could be sorted in order to keep the car however I was unable to get this as Tesla were unable to schedule a service in the short time-frame. This later turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Verdict

Whilst the acceleration of the Performance is great, it's incredibly similar to flooring the Long Range Model 3. I test drove the Long Range whilst I had the Performance for a comparison, I felt the same thrill. Whilst the performance has a much nicer stance, it's all due to the wheels and suspension which in all honestly is impractical for the UK. We simply have too many potholes and uneven streets. The Performance's tyre walls really are very thin and the suspension is simply not comfortable for extended drives in the countryside. I was considering swapping the wheels on the car but the suspension would still make for a somewhat uncomfortable ride relative to the long-range. Ultimately it's a beautiful car that drives well and you're well looked after with the supercharger network. Whilst there have been annoying elements, honestly, taking delivery of anything other than a Tesla would be moronic. During the week I had to rely on public charging when low and was met with the realities of owning an electric car where the infrastructure is developing, expensive tariffs as I didn't have the appropriate memberships, unavailable changepoints (GeneiePoint) despite on-line statuses. Knowing that Tesla is doubling the UK Supercharger network is definitely helpful. The damage on the car just helped push us towards returning the car despite the additional hassle with cancelling insurance and whatnot.

What now?

Returned the Performance last week and placed an order for the £100, still haven't received the deposit we put down but hopefully that gets sorted soon! I'm expecting delivery in November as per the Tesla configurator and got an interesting email. I knew the generic image was different this time, I recognized the black trim from leaks. I immediately went on the configurator and was pleasantly surprised to know the Model 3 had been refreshed and the car I would be taking delivery of would have all the updates; new center console, updated mechanics, increased range and most importantly a powered trunk! I guess it all turned out well in the end.

If you'd like to know anything else just drop a comment or ping me, I'd be happy to help out!

moderator comment - referral code deleted

tesla.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you for rejecting it. I'd encourage anyone who gets a car with defects to do the same rather than putting up with getting them sorted - it's the only way Tesla will change their ways and build them better/PDI them. Customers aren't mechanics and shouldn't be expected to find all the issues in a week or so. Even with a discounted mileage vehicle one would expect it to scrub-up almost pristine at these price points and certainly be weather proof.

Reactions: GreenT and MrBadger
Good on you for rejecting it. I'd encourage anyone who gets a car with defects to do the same rather than putting up with getting them sorted - it's the only way Tesla will change their ways and build them better/PDI them. Customers aren't mechanics and shouldn't be expected to find all the issues in a week or so. Even with a discounted mileage vehicle one would expect it to scrub-up almost pristine at these price points and certainly be weather proof.
You know the funny thing, when I was on the phone confirming the return I did say even if the price was discount by a further £4k down to the starting price of a Long Range - I would have still liked to return the car. The annoying this was the inflexibility of the Tesla Management in being able to provide a loaner car in the interim or even transfer my order over so I wouldn’t lose the £100 deposit - every little helps!

.... The annoying this was the inflexibility of the Tesla Management in being able to provide a loaner car in the interim or even transfer my order over so I wouldn’t lose the £100 deposit - every little helps!

I can just about understand that since potentially you could have a loan car for a long time and then return the new car after a few days and leave Tesla altogether having had 'free' Teslas for some many weeks for a £100.
Their inflexibility is built into the centralisation of Tesla - local folk don't do the accounting so refunds etc have to go via another division and local managers seem to have very little discretion.
It's the fundamental difference between the 'top down own everything' and franchised car dealerships with their higher margins and competativeness with other fanchisees (of the same marque). I'm sure I'm not the only one who has, in the past, gone from one brand dealership to same brand dealership elsewhere because of rudeness or poor customer care. Whilst there may be differences between Tesla centres those differences are tiny and usually only relected in how over-worked a particular centre is.

I can just about understand that since potentially you could have a loan car for a long time and then return the new car after a few days and leave Tesla altogether having had 'free' Teslas for some many weeks for a £100.
Their inflexibility is built into the centralisation of Tesla - local folk don't do the accounting so refunds etc have to go via another division and local managers seem to have very little discretion.
It's the fundamental difference between the 'top down own everything' and franchised car dealerships with their higher margins and competativeness with other fanchisees (of the same marque). I'm sure I'm not the only one who has, in the past, gone from one brand dealership to same brand dealership elsewhere because of rudeness or poor customer care. Whilst there may be differences between Tesla centres those differences are tiny and usually only relected in how over-worked a particular centre is.
Yes you do have a point there, whilst I did place another order - I could have easily cancelled it. I’d say common sense would suggest giving someone in that situation the benefit of the doubt.

I just hope the "new" new one you get doesn't have issues as sadly plenty do. The ex demo one you had seems to have been abused (wheels etc) but some of those complaints can be factory issues such as trim falling off and damaged paintwork.

The Long Range you drove may have had the performance/acceleration boost option purchased, £1500 I think, you can buy it later if it matters.

There’s talk in USA of the 7 day no quibble return being taken out of the contract due to too many people doing this. I’m thankful for the distance selling & consumer rights act protections we have here to prevent companies taking advantage of people.