Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I sold my 1-month old Tesla Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when i got my P100D 190,000,-euro.
i had 24 issues afther when i got my car back from the service center i had to go back again to service for 20 issues, still my car is not repaired ther are still some issues. but i’m still happy with my car,this is Tesla
sos for my inglish

Hey all, Just wanted to mention how great this forum was and invaluable to Tesla owners.

Around July of this year, my wife and I decided to get a new Model S. We picked a new inventory S75 (with new 4.x 0-60) times. Prior to ordering the sales staff was pretty amazing--letting us take home cars for the night before we made our decision. We were able to find one *exactly* how I wanted it.

When it was delivered, there was a few issues right off the bat. Some were obvious (hard water spots on the paint, and generally very dirty) but some weren't, like non-functioning steering wheel controls.

Now you may think i'm being picky, I will say that my wife and I have probably purchased 8 or so new cars in the past 5 years and none have had to go back for any warranty work.

The service department while pretty good, failed to address some of the issues when I dropped off the car, even though it was on their work order (it took me dropping off the car twice before they would address the hard water spots) They claimed it was a mis-communication with their 3rd party detailer.

My first week of ownership, I had been back to the dealer 3 times already.

Still, I was enjoying the car and from reading these forums alone made it seem like the typical teething pains a new owner has to go through.

Then as the weeks piled on, I would notice more and more issues. Like the obvious panel gap issues in the B pillar interior trim. One that took 3 weeks to order to order a piece of plastic. I forget another issue where the chrome trim in my mirrors were warping and they had to remove the door panel to replace the mirrors. When I looked over their work the next day, they forgot to re-attach the puddle lights, so back to the dealer I went.

When I picked up the car again, they had dropped a wrench or something hard into the door jamb, making a nice dent.

Now while I don't mind teething pain issues, I do mind when things don't get fixed. Like my alignment issue. I think the car had 3 alignments and was still off. I decided to just let it go. At this point, they told me it was as good as it is going to get.

All in all, after 4-weeks, I had brought the car in for repairs, comebacks for failed repairs, etc.. for a total of 8 or so visits.

Again, all these are small issues, but they added up to something big for me. I spent a lot of time going back to the service center, I spent a lot of time wondering if something was normal or not, and I decided i've had enough. I told my wife a the 1-month anniversary of owning the car that i'm going to sell it. I'll take that loss, I didn't really care anymore. I've followed up with Tesla, and all I get was a bunch of 'i'm sorrys' and this is 'not normal' It's almost as if i'm talking to a wall. Again, none of these issues were safety related, and I still enjoyed the car, but I hated that every time I got in it, there was a laundry list of issues for them to look at.

I still think Tesla has an amazing product with a good future. Just wish it worked out better for me.

Thanks for reading.

For those wondering, I lost about 15 thousand dollars.

For those who want to know my detailed list of issues:

1. Interior b-pillar trim not fitting correctly.
2. Water leaking in one of the windows.
3. Steering wheel buttons didn't work.
4. Hood not aligned. obvious gap from one side to another.
5. Steering wheel not centered.
6. Car pulls hard to the left.
7. Hard water spots in the paint when I first took delivery.
8. Random spots in the paint where it was dull.
9. Chrome trim on the mirrors warping.
10. Passenger door not closing properly.
11. Rubber seal on passenger door not fitting correctly.
12. famous chrome window trim not lining up. They would pull it up or down to line up, but a day later, they would not be aligned again. (this one, I didn't care about, but it was there)
When i got
Hey all, Just wanted to mention how great this forum was and invaluable to Tesla owners.

Around July of this year, my wife and I decided to get a new Model S. We picked a new inventory S75 (with new 4.x 0-60) times. Prior to ordering the sales staff was pretty amazing--letting us take home cars for the night before we made our decision. We were able to find one *exactly* how I wanted it.

When it was delivered, there was a few issues right off the bat. Some were obvious (hard water spots on the paint, and generally very dirty) but some weren't, like non-functioning steering wheel controls.

Now you may think i'm being picky, I will say that my wife and I have probably purchased 8 or so new cars in the past 5 years and none have had to go back for any warranty work.

The service department while pretty good, failed to address some of the issues when I dropped off the car, even though it was on their work order (it took me dropping off the car twice before they would address the hard water spots) They claimed it was a mis-communication with their 3rd party detailer.

Still, I was enjoying the car and from reading these forums alone made it seem like the typical teething pains a new owner has to go through.

Then as the weeks piled on, I would notice more and more issues. Like the obvious panel gap issues in the B pillar interior trim. One that took 3 weeks to order to order a piece of plastic. I forget another issue where the chrome trim in my mirrors were warping and they had to remove the door panel to replace the mirrors. When I looked over their work the next day, they forgot to re-attach the puddle lights, so back to the dealer I went.

When I picked up the car again, they had dropped a wrench or something hard into the door jamb, making a nice dent.

Now while I don't mind teething pain issues, I do mind when things don't get fixed. Like my alignment issue. I think the car had 3 alignments and was still off. I decided to just let it go. At this point, they told me it was as good as it is going to get.

All in all, after 4-weeks, I had brought the car in for repairs, comebacks for failed repairs, etc.. for a total of 8 or so visits.

Again, all these are small issues, but they added up to something big for me. I spent a lot of time going back to the service center, I spent a lot of time wondering if something was normal or not, and I decided i've had enough. I told my wife a the 1-month anniversary of owning the car that i'm going to sell it. I'll take that loss, I didn't really care anymore. I've followed up with Tesla, and all I get was a bunch of 'i'm sorrys' and this is 'not normal' It's almost as if i'm talking to a wall. Again, none of these issues were safety related, and I still enjoyed the car, but I hated that every time I got in it, there was a laundry list of issues for them to look at.

I still think Tesla has an amazing product with a good future. Just wish it worked out better for me.

Thanks for reading.

12. famous chrome window trim not lining up. They would pull it up or down to line up, but a day later, they would not be aligned again. (this one, I didn't care about, but it was there)

Reactions: TechOps

Thanks for reading.

I agree with this and have somewhat the same issues, but more concrete like the fact that I have a blind spot on my Model X that has led to many near collisions. While I love the feat of what they have done, the overall experience has been less than spectacular.
On top of that, my passengers hate the ride and their experience. Tesla needs to work (still) on improving the passenger experience and also needs to fix such obvious things as the ability to turn off a radio....

Sheesh, some of you are trusting.

I paid by wire transfer the day before I saw my car. I don't really get the paranoia. I mean I can see wanting some leverage to get Tesla to clean up little issues, but the notion that if the car is unacceptable they wouldn't just give you your money back seems weird to me. If I didn't believe I could trust Tesla I wouldn't buy a car from them, nor would I be invested in their stock. Yeah, sure, be careful because being careful is a good survival trait, but posting that it's stupid to trust Tesla seems a bit much to me.

Sorry to hear that you had so many issues.

We are the original owners and driver's of Model S P85 (VIN 1338) purchased in 2012. Being one of the first ones, we had our share of issues the first few months. It's a little disappointing to hear that there are vehicles getting through quality control like yours. That's likely a hiring and management issue.

That said, we are now at 70,000 miles and multiple years without any issues whatsoever. We drive it hard, have taken it on several long trips to places like Montana and have even taken it camping where raising the suspension was needed. The battery degradation over this period has been insignificant. In short, it's by far the best (and 2nd most fun) vehicle we have ever owned. Our most fun vehicle is the Tesla Roadster (VIN 685) we purchased in 2010. Even after almost 8 years, the battery degradation of the Roadster is only 2.8% with their very first battery technology.

I share this information with you simply as a longer view reference point. Also, since selling my Ducati as a concession to my bride when our son was born 16 years ago, the Teslas fill the need for speed and that "yeeee haaa" exhilaration nicely.

Reactions: stan23 and bhzmark
It's a bummer that you weren't able to reach a good outcome with Tesla, but it sounds like for removing your aggravation and Tesla's inability to fix the issues, the $15k was worth it to you to get rid of the vehicle, so you reached an acceptable solution for your specific trade-offs.

As someone who could also afford to write off $15k easily, I decided instead to have Tesla replace the vehicle to address the screwups, which they did. The upside is that I got the July speedboost in the new vehicle. The downside was the endless followups, slow action, and apparent total disconnect within Tesla. It's highly apparent they really do not deeply understand operations, discipline, and effective management. Or automotive related laws in California, for that matter. I still ended up losing thousands of dollars, and the new vehicle had another set of issues with build quality. For anyone who enjoys sporty european cars (I too have owned late model BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes in the last couple years), the lack of refinement or par quality is immediately evident.

ALL that said, in the balance between love/hate which many seem to have, I'm firmly in the love camp. All of the employees in the SC have been kind and accommodating. The car is a pleasure to drive (though as Stan noted, it does not handle like a real sports car), and the tech is years ahead of the competition. It's the future of driving. I've convinced a wealthy friend of mine to buy one, and am working on my father and other family members. Yes, Tesla is quite flawed, but they're still by far the best and I would buy again tomorrow. I am hopeful they will improve their QC, and I give them some leeway for being a new car company and needing to learn how to perfect their manufacturing.

I believe the biggest existential threat is inability to rapidly address manufacturing issues and unblock production of M3, potentially causing a cash crisis in 2018. Manufacturing and process control are hard. I think the QC issues will not sink the company; they are an annoyance and will only affect volume and margins/profitability.

Thanks for your tale of woe. It does surprise me because the Model S has been around for awhile. I have had similar experiences with GM products, only they were more serious (transmissions failing, brake warning failures). There used to be an adage when dealing with Detroit made cars and that was not to buy one that had been built on a Monday or a Friday. On Monday the workmen could be hung over and on a Friday they were in a hurry for the weekend. Maybe this now applies to Tesla as well.

It does make me wonder if the Model 3 will be any better because there is far less human involvement due to the amount of robotics. Time will tell but I'm am still looking forward to getting our Model 3 sometime next spring.

I've never met anyone who could legitimately make that statement who actually would agree with that statement. Especially someone that can't spell losses.

The guy said he and his wife buy 8 new cars in 5 years. If any of them cost as much as a Tesla new, I think he can afford it. I make >150k/year and I have NEVER been able to afford a new car. I buy one car every 7-10 years, CPO (2007 BMW 335i in 2010, 2014 Model S 85 in 2017). I think this guy just has the money to blow on whatever he wants.

I'm on the reservation list for a Model 3, and I appreciate the original post. In 2007 I purchased a Mini Cooper S and it went through three clutches in the first year, in addition to smaller issues. I enjoyed the car, but I did not enjoy spending so much time at the dealership dealing with those issues, and not having the car. In the end, it's a personal decision how one deals with a situation like this. If he was able to lose the 15k to be done with the car, and followed through, good for him. No one can feel what a pain it was to deal with it but him. In my case, Mini bought my car back after one year after being threatened with law Lemon. I lost only one thousand after a year, and a LOT of time going back and forth to the dealer. And I'm willing to take the plunge on what looks like an interesting new car. Fingers crossed, all the while.

First off, let me address to the folks that have no issues with their cars and 100% happy. I am very envious of you. I too, wanted to be in that camp. I envisioned my S75 as my starter Tesla and then get a P120DL or whatever they come out. I had visions of a long and fruitful relationship one that I can tell my daughter when she grows up that Daddy had an electric car when it wasn't the norm. At this point, I don't consider any other electric offering remotely close or comparable to the Tesla driving experience.

Maybe think of owners like myself who did have issues, who did raise concerns to management and be a little vocal about it publicly is what made your car so trouble free to begin with.

Again, I did absolutely wish my experience was different, and contrary to what people read here--I do not like losing money. At the time, it was just an end to my aggravation.

I didn't come here guns blazing how this sucks and that sucks. I came here to just tell about my unusual ownership experience. I've had 2 months to digest my decision, and for that time I never even thought of coming back to this forum until the other day where I got a notification email. I read a thread about how Tesla is checking this forum so I decided to post this.

Stan. I too purchased a MS 75d this September from inventory. (UK based) My first EV and I just love everything about it. It is similar to changing from Nokia or Windows to Apple. It just works so well. Luckily for me all is well. Sure it is a pain to be unlucky to get a Friday afternoon car. And yes this whole episode is just unacceptable. What I do not understand is how you can drive any thing else after this car and why you did not persevere. Just does not add up.

Thanks for reading.

First off, let me address to the folks that have no issues with their cars and 100% happy. I am very envious of you. I too, wanted to be in that camp. I envisioned my S75 as my starter Tesla and then get a P120DL or whatever they come out. I had visions of a long and fruitful relationship one that I can tell my daughter when she grows up that Daddy had an electric car when it wasn't the norm. At this point, I don't consider any other electric offering remotely close or comparable to the Tesla driving experience.

Maybe think of owners like myself who did have issues, who did raise concerns to management and be a little vocal about it publicly is what made your car so trouble free to begin with.

Again, I did absolutely wish my experience was different, and contrary to what people read here--I do not like losing money. At the time, it was just an end to my aggravation.

I didn't come here guns blazing how this sucks and that sucks. I came here to just tell about my unusual ownership experience. I've had 2 months to digest my decision, and for that time I never even thought of coming back to this forum until the other day where I got a notification email. I read a thread about how Tesla is checking this forum so I decided to post this.[/QUOTE

Hi My name is Stan, nice to meet you.

Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake. I can tell you that English is not my native language, but you would may just find something else to point at negatively.

Jokes aside, the money loss is not that big of a concern for me, but rather my sanity is. Having to keep going back to the service center got pretty old pretty fast.

I can tell you that you like Tesla, so I will re-iterate. I liked the car, I loved driving it. I really like that our future is heading towards electric cars and I like the company. I wish them well. The specific car that I purchased didn't work out for me because of all the issues i've had.

Well this is a Tesla Owners forum, not a forum to complain and bash the brand we love so much. Im sure there are other websites and forums to bitch and complain until youre blue.

Why after 8years has this website turned into an anti-Tesla forum, where we share info on how to cheat the company we are supporting?

Stan. I too purchased a MS 75d this September from inventory. (UK based) My first EV and I just love everything about it. It is similar to changing from Nokia or Windows to Apple. It just works so well. Luckily for me all is well. Sure it is a pain to be unlucky to get a Friday afternoon car. And yes this whole episode is just unacceptable. What I do not understand is how you can drive any thing else after this car and why you did not persevere. Just does not add up.

I guess I'm what you would consider a petrol head. I like driving all kinds of cars. I didn't feel that after owning a tesla, nothing else compared.

I believe I've covered why I didn't persevere in the original post and subsequent posts. Things that I'm reminded of that I didn't cover in the first post. I had reach a point of frustration, where it was best for me to move on. Your point of frustration may be much higher than mine--which is great. Couple that with a loving wife that hears me grumbing about yet another service visit, and agreed with me to just sell the car.

Thanks for reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.