Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I stopped caring about luxury EV's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, hehe kind of this. Tesla's are like anti-luxury. Fake leather, glorified PU er vegan leather, all those fancy knobs and dials removed, it's not luxury in the traditional sense. It's like tech chic more like and in spades. You're not wearing a Rolex, you're flaunting the latest iPhone something like driving a phone lmao.
Hah! What, you don't like the interior of your car to look like a living room of a McMansion? When I'm forced to drive our other car, a recent BMW 5 series, I'm amazed how dated the interior looks compared to Tesla's. There's leather and wood and knobs and gauges and screens and led lighting all over the place that creates an atmosphere that's garish and mostly nonfunctional. I believe that the present era of ostentatious luxury car interiors is ending. Those interiors are equivalent to the big fins on the road hogs of the 1950s.

@gtae07 Agreed Teslas are priced like luxury ICE cars. The "luxuries" i.e. excesses a Tesla provides are excessive power/acceleration, and an excess of range + supercharging network such that I don't stress about range/charging at all. Those are luxuries! Teslas have many more good attributes, but the rest I wouldn't consider "luxuries" in the literal sense.

I'm also quite happy with the overall feeling of quality of newer Model S and 3 (at least when they're assembled properly), but again, I wouldn't call them luxurious...not compared to like-priced cars that are more focused on luxury. I still much prefer a Tesla though!

Reactions: thesmokingman
They're priced like they are, at least to most of the population. I mean
Not compared with other BEVs - what causes the high price isn't luxury, it's a big-ass, efficient battery. Some people can't understand that, but that doesn't make a Tesla a luxury car (at least not the 3 or Y, don't know about the S or X).

But to the original question: Whatever floats your boat. What you prioritize in choosing a car won't be what others prioritize, and no option is perfect. Find what you like, and enjoy.

I have owned and tinkered with many EV's over the years, and its my observation that boring, non-luxury, simple EV's such as the Bolt EV and the Kona EV are the only ones that are actually functionally reliable long term. They are about as high tech as you can get without things breaking constantly (if you care about long term ownership, past warranty etc..). With the non luxury EV's, you get no surprise 12V battery failures, no broken window regulators, no wind noises or rattles, no broken HVAC, no broken charge ports, no fancy door handles that break or require a special rain dance, no software updates (a good thing IMO). Just a simple intuitive car that you can pile in, slam the door, crank up the tunes with a twist knob and just blend in with society/drive without having to think about it... Not this stressful experience of apps and features that are always bombarding you and getting in the way of your daily life.

Imagine this common scenario: Your late to work, the 15 second door unlock delay as I fuss with the hideously complicated door handles while bluetooth is interrupting mid call with the Tesla sales dude on the phone as the cars display still wakes up and loads a huge operating system that always changes etc... Lets babysit autopilot while phantom braking etc... I stopped finding luxury in those kinds of things. I dont like that kind of mindset anymore when Im operating an automobile...

I also feel better about my carbon footprint knowing Im not going to need to trade up to the latest Tesla every 3 years. It seems pretty bad that all these sub 10 year old Tesla's are literally being parted out and rotting away due to lack of parts, service, etc.. Im really shocked the used prices have held so well despite this. Whats also interesting is to see the Audi, Mach E, Taycan, Ipace etc forums littered with lemon law language and bad experiences. Again, luxury EV's. If you go on the Leaf or Bolt message boards, its basically crickets with the occasional person complaining about charging infrastructure. But in my neck of the woods, that's changing fast. So yeah, no reason to buy a luxury EV unless you want to burn your money and be a beta tester. Im willing to wait until level 3 autonomy and a boring Lexus. Until then, why?

Please discuss...

I don't consider a M3 to be a Luxury Car. But enjoy/like whatever you want but I sure as heck wouldn't spend $34k on this.🤣

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 9.35.07 AM.png

• Funny
Reactions: XLR82XS