Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I want SAS on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Furthermore, Elon did "confirm" SAS for Model 3 in his post-March 31 tweetstorm last year. I use quotes because plans can change and maybe they have. But as far as we know *for now*, SAS is in the cards. My guess is that if it happens it will be tied to Performance or maybe offered once AWD comes online.

Since I'm feeling lazy on a Saturday, I went back and studied the reveal presentation. If you remember it showed the 3 being built up from the battery, electrical harnesses, then suspension and motors etc. and at least in the rendering shown it definitely shows what looks like air struts not coil springs. Granted what was shown was most likely the P-model since it had red brake calipers so it may be performance specific option, but pretty sure it will be available on some variant at some point. Of course, things could have changed since the reveal, but my bet it will be offered. I'm too lazy to attach an image, maybe someone else can do that. :p

Reactions: Lunarx and Bokonon
I have both coils and air on two different S's. Bought coils the first time and air the second. Air takes the edge off small pavement imperfections and makes for a smoother and more comfortable ride overall. It's really too bad Tesla isn't offering it as an option on the 3. I like it so much I may cancel my 3 reservation and just buy another S.

Reactions: Lunarx
for me, I also have the drive-over curbs in my neighborhood (trick is going over it one tire at a time for a car at normal height - a low car will still scrape) and I like the look of a lower car. The SAS is best of both worlds to give the low look and practicality. If it's an option, I plan to get it.
I don't care so much about the smoothness of the ride, I've gotten quite used to swerving around the various holes in my normal commute.

• Love
Reactions: T34ME
for me, I also have the drive-over curbs in my neighborhood (trick is going over it one tire at a time for a car at normal height - a low car will still scrape) and I like the look of a lower car. The SAS is best of both worlds to give the low look and practicality. If it's an option, I plan to get it.
I don't care so much about the smoothness of the ride, I've gotten quite used to swerving around the various holes in my normal commute.

@melindav,

Morning M! So you're still in if SAS is not offered and it's just coil? To follow up how about if it's just offered on the P Model....I think you said your in for the AWD as am I, I'm definitely waiting for that. No RWD for me. P not really a concern....if it's affordable yes...if it's crazy no.

Ski

I have both coils and air on two different S's. Bought coils the first time and air the second. Air takes the edge off small pavement imperfections and makes for a smoother and more comfortable ride overall. It's really too bad Tesla isn't offering it as an option on the 3. I like it so much I may cancel my 3 reservation and just buy another S.

Ditto.

I had an S with 19s and coils. My current S has 21s and SAS and it is a MUCH smoother ride. Those little irregularities and bumps in Houston roads are really obvious with the coil suspension, even with the 19s.

@melindav,

Morning M! So you're still in if SAS is not offered and it's just coil? To follow up how about if it's just offered on the P Model....I think you said your in for the AWD as am I, I'm definitely waiting for that. No RWD for me. P not really a concern....if it's affordable yes...if it's crazy no.

Ski
I don't need P and like you said, unless it's priced as a no-brainer, there is no way I'd upgrade to it. If SAS is only on the P, then coils for me - but likely would wait for D if SAS is an option on it. If no SAS on D, i may just go with the larger battery and the fluff options and pass on D.... but that's today at 8a, I will for sure change my mind 4 more times today. ;)

• Funny
Furthermore, Elon did "confirm" SAS for Model 3 in his post-March 31 tweetstorm last year. I use quotes because plans can change and maybe they have. But as far as we know *for now*, SAS is in the cards. My guess is that if it happens it will be tied to Performance or maybe offered once AWD comes online.

Great memory.

Elon Musk on Twitter

So, I think you've got a solid chance, OP. Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: T34ME and JeffK
Also I was one of the last people to get a 75D with air - now they've limited it to
and the anti-selling marketing crew has done their job ;)

I expect it will be an option on the P, if not D.
Nothing to do with anti-selling. Air suspension just makes the ride significantly more comfortable on worn out roads with many imperfections. I have both cars and can say this from experience. I had assumed SAS and HEPA filter would be paid options. Rather disappointed they're not.

Also I was one of the last people to get a 75D with air - now they've limited it to

Nothing to do with anti-selling. Air suspension just makes the ride significantly more comfortable on worn out roads with many imperfections. I have both cars and can say this from experience. I had assumed SAS and HEPA filter would be paid options. Rather disappointed they're not.
If enough people tweet Elon maybe we can get it.. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow

since they've not release the options yet, just a Model S sales guide, I wouldn't worry too much about it until we see what the actual options will be in July.

Reactions: DR61 and strykeroz