Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

why I (we) didn't get the Boombox in the last software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a T$LA stock/share holder-not just a M3 & MY owner.

Then You can afford the service visit. I’ve read it’s about $55 for the speaker. The Model Ys are presumably prewired, so you can schedule a service visit and have it installed. Likely $100-$150 total cost, labor and parts.

Note that Tesla accessory vendors already sell kits to remove the speaker and cap the wires. So a quiet Tesla is sometimes preferred.

It will be interesting as to which setup becomes the popular resale version. I’m staying with the no-speaker setup....

Then You can afford the service visit. I’ve read it’s about $55 for the speaker. The Model Ys are presumably prewired, so you can schedule a service visit and have it installed. Likely $100-$150 total cost, labor and parts.

Note that Tesla accessory vendors already sell kits to remove the speaker and cap the wires. So a quiet Tesla is sometimes preferred.

It will be interesting as to which setup becomes the popular resale version. I’m staying with the no-speaker setup....
Agree...no boombox with the artificial sounds for me. My wife's ES 300h makes an awful noise when backing up or slow forward and no ICE running.

NHTSA required all electric vehicles built after September 2019 to be equipped with a noisemaker. If this is required by law Tesla should install it. Yesterday, I call the service center and they don't have any parts to do that.

NHTSA required all electric vehicles built after September 2019 to be equipped with a noisemaker. If this is required by law Tesla should install it. Yesterday, I call the service center and they don't have any parts to do that.
Model 3 after 9/2019. That date doesn't apply to Model Y since regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.

Last edited:
The United States government has finally set its "quiet cars" mandate in stone, Reuters reports. Automakers will have until September 2020 to ensure that their electric vehicles make noise at speeds below 30 kilometers per hour (18.6 mph), and they must be 50 percent compliant one year earlier than that.

Congress first demanded action on this back in 2010, but the final date mentioned above is only one year behind the schedule put in place under President Obama's administration?

EVs must get a little noisier by 2020

September 1, 2020
Automakers will get at least six more months to meet new federal requirements for noise-making devices on electric cars and hybrids, Reuters reported Friday. The extension is being granted due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The so-called "quiet car" rule requires electrified vehicles to emit noises at speeds up to 18.6 mph as a warning to pedestrians and cyclists. Lack of exhaust noise makes cars harder to hear at these speeds, but tire noise, wind buffeting, and other sounds pick up at higher speeds, regulators have said.

In April, an automaker lobbying group asked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to extend the September 1 deadline by one year. So far, the agency has only extended the deadline by six months, but it's seeking public comment on automakers' request for a one-year extension, according to Reuters.
EVs and hybrids get an extension to meet US noise-making requirements

I’m still keeping my “quiet” Teslas.

Six months is February, 2021...

Reactions: Yelobird

I asked my service center about it and they said they have begun to hear some rumblings about a retrofit kit, but Tesla is waiting to see the interest in owners willing to pay for it. So, I don't expect any cars will have this added as a free service.

could you post the link or just a hearsay?

Our 2017 Volt built in June 2016 has a Pedestrian Waring. It's a nice "futuristc white noise" kind of sound. It has paid dividends many time in the 4+ years I have owned it, when creeping along a crowded parking lot with folks walking in front of me I see them turn and look at the noise an I don't worry about them not hear ng me and walking into the front of my car suddenly. With our MY I have to extra vigilant doing the same thing. In the Volt is works going forward and backwards up to a certain speed.