Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Won't Be Purchasing My 3rd Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long have there been "rumors" of an interior refresh? Almost a year? And now we find out it's probably 2 years away in Elon time? Things need to change. I guess the world always needs sheep like some of you on this forum.

I also much prefer the interior of the current S to that of the BMW. The screen on the BMW M5 was small and washed out looking. I like the seats on the P100D better too. BMW updates there cars about every 8 years, with a mid cycle refresh coming in the middle.... just like Tesla.

Personally I think the Tesla interior has withstood the 6 years far better than any BMW has since they started putting LCDs in them. I recall looking at a early 2000s 5-series with a horrificly dated looking navigation system.

Reactions: AustinP
I think it's great to see how one former Tesla owner is entering a new chapter.
The Heads up display, and more supportive seats are great features. I could not give up the amazing torque and the "full tank" each morning for those benefits, but priorities change and it's nice to have options.

Reactions: Ormond
I am on my second and third Teslas and also have decided to not get another S either...

I have decided to get a Performance Model 3 instead. At least then I won't feel like a dork every other day sitting at the gas pump. I remember the conflicted feeling of driving multiple ICE performance cars between the pleasure of the driving and contrast of feeling like an A-hole multiple times a week as I sat at the gas pump. With the Performance Model 3, I hope to have my cake and eat it too. I have a P100D which I love to drive, but would like to add something which has more throw ability through the twisties if that makes sense.

I will chime in as someone who bought a Signature model in 2012 and has been driving a Model S for 5-1/2 years. I put a reservation down in 2009. And I don't post much either. But I strongly agree with the OP and would ask those that attack him to question why they think that his points aren't valid or welcome here. This is a Tesla discussion forum and not just a place for fans to fawn over the car and the company. I too am ready to buy another car and have loved so much of what Tesla gets right. I'm just so frustrated with what they get wrong that it's nearly impossible to justify the cost anymore. The design is nearly six years old, the materials are extremely sub-standard for it's class and perhaps worst of all, service has gone from A+ to C-. And there's every reason to believe it's going to get worse given the plans. As for anyone who questions why one should want to discuss such things here... why would you want to complain about anything ever? The reason is that the way things change is when enough people complain that some take action. Think of anything that ever changed for the better throughout history- it started with people saying out loud that they didn't like the way it was. If everybody tells each other (and Tesla) that the Emperor's clothes are not only there but super fly and not outdated, why would the Emperor make a change?

I think that the OP's points are valid. Tesla has to continue to innovate. It is a new company with finite resources, and has pushed the whole industry with it's ideas. Tesla has listened to criticisms. Thats why the Model 3 has coat hooks and door pockets, etc... I personally don't think that I could go back to driving another ICE again no matter what, unless it was kicking and screaming. Especially not a gas guzzling swine like an M car.

Regardless of the OP's motives, he does have some valid points. Tesla really needs to address build quality issues and improve the interiors. Good materials are used but there needs to be more leather and less plastic - and all of it should fit properly and not creak or squeak. Maybe Tesla should poach a few people from the best European manufacturers, to see how they achieve their results.
IMO, the effort spent by Tesla's software development folk on easter eggs could have been better spent on improvements to navigation, the media player, etc.

I will chime in as someone who bought a Signature model in 2012 and has been driving a Model S for 5-1/2 years. I put a reservation down in 2009. And I don't post much either. But I strongly agree with the OP and would ask those that attack him to question why they think that his points aren't valid or welcome here. This is a Tesla discussion forum and not just a place for fans to fawn over the car and the company. I too am ready to buy another car and have loved so much of what Tesla gets right. I'm just so frustrated with what they get wrong that it's nearly impossible to justify the cost anymore. The design is nearly six years old, the materials are extremely sub-standard for it's class and perhaps worst of all, service has gone from A+ to C-. And there's every reason to believe it's going to get worse given the plans. As for anyone who questions why one should want to discuss such things here... why would you want to complain about anything ever? The reason is that the way things change is when enough people complain that some take action. Think of anything that ever changed for the better throughout history- it started with people saying out loud that they didn't like the way it was. If everybody tells each other (and Tesla) that the Emperor's clothes are not only there but super fly and not outdated, why would the Emperor make a change?

Thank you for the support. Although it may seem like I'm here trolling, I am definitely still a huge fan of Tesla at heart. I just could not rationalize spending the money again without significant improvements. Someone mentioned "coat hooks and visors, etc". These are such silly things that we shouldn't be asking for, am I right? This wasn't meant to be a post arguing between ICE vs. electric. I would MUCH rather own an electric vehicle, believe me. Again, it was not an easy decision as I loved drive the MS. But as consumers, we should demand better from these manufacturers.

A performance Model 3 was definitely my second choice, I just couldn't deal with a smaller car after driving an S for so long.

Different angle: Lets think what the EV evolution would look like today if Tesla had never existed. None of the other car maker would be making a real effort like they are trying to do now (albeit slow). There would be no Super Charger network (which I think is Tesla's biggest accomplishment, my God think of what they invested!). Plus we would not have these cool cars available to buy (S/X/3 and more to come). At least for me, complaining about a squeak here and there is missing the point.

Full disclosure: I have BMW i3 which I love dearly and the build quality is amazing. Really amazing, second to none I think. But I am selling it to but an S (probably second hand) and I know it wont be perfect. But as others have said, if you are going back to ICE, you never really got Tesla in the first place.

We received our Model 3 on July 3rd, just replaced one BMW X3 and am trying to figure out what to replace the other X3 with? Model X or Model Y? I liked the handling of our BMW's....though the Model 3 handles much better than either X3...and yes one of the X3's even had the adaptive suspension. I look forward to driving the Model 3. The BMW X3 that is left(2015) we drive and wonder what may fail or annoy us next. 100 years of engineering and building cars doesn't amount to much when; You can count on a BMW developing a gasket leak on the engine or the oil cooler housing...which can lead to contamination of coolant. If you have a N54 or N55 engine which is pretty much all 335i monikers….your probably going to have a High Performance Fuel Pump Fail(should be renamed low performance fuel pump!). Then there are the many many many issues with BMW seat occupancy sensors failing. I could go on and on but just start to type any of the symptoms or failures in google and when google.com auto fills in the sentence before you finish typing because these issue affect so many owners you start to get the idea that owning a BMW is a very painful and expensive experience. Makes you wonder why BMW recently lowered it's miles/years for it's factory warranties. I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with your assertion that BMW possesses some sort of quality or knowledge because they have built ICE vehicles for 100+ years. I'd have to say any car building experience other than the last decade doesn't amount to much! Seriously what's even relevant or applicable from even just two decades ago to building cars or technology today?

Reactions: candersoh
The previously mentioned experiences with BMW also have made it easy for me to not even consider buying a BMW EV, plugin, I3, I8 etc., I looked into the X5 with edrive or whatever they call it and from all the reviews it seemed like just another ICE manufacturer contorting themselves to say yes we have a plug in or EV. Such half ass efforts and questionable reliability have made me an EX-BMW owner. And for any BMW reps out there....when I had problems and asked you as a manufacturer to stand behind your product and all I heard was sorry, you've lost me as a customer for life. Example: BMW issues recall for almost all n54 High Performance Fuel Pumps but excludes the N55 engine when it obviously affects N55 engines too! Waiting til the complaints with NTSB become overwhelming is not the best customer service policy.

The previously mentioned experiences with BMW also have made it easy for me to not even consider buying a BMW EV, plugin, I3, I8 etc., I looked into the X5 with edrive or whatever they call it and from all the reviews it seemed like just another ICE manufacturer contorting themselves to say yes we have a plug in or EV. Such half ass efforts and questionable reliability have made me an EX-BMW owner. And for any BMW reps out there....when I had problems and asked you as a manufacturer to stand behind your product and all I heard was sorry, you've lost me as a customer for life. Example: BMW issues recall for almost all n54 High Performance Fuel Pumps but excludes the N55 engine when it obviously affects N55 engines too! Waiting til the complaints with NTSB become overwhelming is not the best customer service policy.
welcome to the club! Glad to see another AZ owner! I agree with some of the OP statements about quality and finish, I honestly didnt buy a Model S to be blown away by the fit and finish so those things dont bother me. Not having to fill up, instant torque and the best looking car out there are a few of the reasons why I got one. Best of luck to you tho!

From my personal experience, the media player in the S blows away what I have in my LEAF and my wife's Honda.

...and my old 2002 Accord with an Empeg Car blows away a 2018 Tesla. Nissan and Honda both support CarPlay and Android Auto. We can hold our breath on either of those coming to Tesla... the ego is too big to allow it.

Really, I'm speaking about the irony of a software driven car company being very behind in some basic areas of their software.