Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Won't Be Purchasing My 3rd Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software updates are free. Hardware is not. Pretty sure that was clear in my post.

I’ll put my M5 up against your electric minivan on a track any day. The only thing in your rear view mirror will be your non functional wing.

Tesla’s are 0-60 cars. That’s it.

Hardware doesn’t do anything without software.

Software can always squeeze more potential out of hardware over time and can be patched to address bugs and issues. Whatever is on the M5 is what it is..

It’s a pretty clear signal when Tesla rolls out hundreds of thousands of cars with AP2, they won’t be able to change anymore on a dime without upsetting said hundreds of thousands of people.

Tesla was able to discuss AP3 freely while not osbourning themselves. AP2 cars since 2016 will able to take the new compute system. M5 goes obsolete in your possession or you can turn it back in after paying all the depreciation for it.

Oh, I also don’t engage where I can’t win.

Obviously it wouldn’t be the X that makes the M5 look stupid in day to day driving -

It’s going to be the P3 that handles that task. For far less money and also upgradable hardware!

Upgradable software! Non upgradable coat hooks but it does have them.

My FWD on the X works like a champ as well.

You can still trade your M5 in for a P3 even swap most likely. ;)

I also expect the next generation S to be absolutely amazing as well.

Last edited:
Surround view is not coming because there is no camera overlooking front bumper, plus the cameras which are there are not full color spectrum, from what people have reverse engineered so far they are b&w or some other spectrum (depends which camera). Sure, one could envision some software system that extrapolates what the windshield camera saw before you pulled up and accounts for your exact position based on the other cameras, but that wouldn't be real time, and my guess would work very poorly (not to mention rather complex software to achieve this - precisely 3d model the environment while driving, then track exact position down to a cm, then render the model in a photo realistic way). Sorry to squash your hopes but software cannot overcome major hardware omissions.

I should have specified Quasi-Surroundview as I'm well aware that it won't see everything. But, I think it could see enough for that it would be pretty useful. It would be nice for side view, and other views.

What I'm more interested in is dashcam capabilities.

I really want to see some functionality land in V9 that does use the side cameras so we can see how well they fair with the weather we get in the Seattle area.

Hardware doesn’t do anything without software.

Software can always squeeze more potential out of hardware over time and can be patched to address bugs and issues. Whatever is on the M5 is what it is..

It’s a pretty clear signal when Tesla rolls out hundreds of thousands of cars with AP2, they won’t be able to change anymore on a dime without upsetting said hundreds of thousands of people.

Tesla was able to discuss AP3 freely while not osbourning themselves. AP2 cars since 2016 will able to take the new compute system. M5 goes obsolete in your possession or you can turn it back in after paying all the depreciation for it.

Oh, I also don’t engage where I can’t win.

Obviously it wouldn’t be the X that makes the M5 look stupid in day to day driving -

It’s going to be the P3 that handles that task. For far less money and also upgradable hardware!

Upgradable software! Non upgradable coat hooks but it does have them.

My FWD on the X works like a champ as well.

You can still trade your M5 in for a P3 even swap most likely. ;)

I also expect the next generation S to be absolutely amazing as well.

Not sure if the performance Model 3 and the M5 are even close to being in the same league, one is a luxury car, one isn't.

But the first couple of tests, even on the track, make it seem that the next Model S might be much more of a track car, than it is today. The 3 still has some thermal issues, but they seem way smaller, than what happens with the S.

@mxb172 I think it's ok if you don't want another Tesla, but why not another EV? Maybe you could have gone for the Audi, or the Jaguar, or maybe wait a little longer for the Porsche. I guess you didn't want to wait, but going from an EV to an ICE seems like a step back to me.

Not sure if the performance Model 3 and the M5 are even close to being in the same league, one is a luxury car, one isn't.

Sure. It better be at double the price. Point of the M5 is when you spend double the money of the Model 3, is that you should surrender NOTHING to a car half your price.

If M5 is in the way and you want to pass it, no problem. ;)

If you want to give the M5 driver two middle fingers - you can because autosteer allows you to do that.

As far as OP, people make on tilt, suboptimal emotional decisions all the time. They double down on those decisions by making funny rationalizations that they should know better about. M5 isn't getting any better over that lease term.

I like to lock in Tesla decisions after quarterly conference calls and not before. This is where you find useful information like any Tesla today has a path forward to AP3.

I should have specified Quasi-Surroundview as I'm well aware that it won't see everything. But, I think it could see enough for that it would be pretty useful. It would be nice for side view, and other views.

What I'm more interested in is dashcam capabilities.

I really want to see some functionality land in V9 that does use the side cameras so we can see how well they fair with the weather we get in the Seattle area.
Yea, and this goes to the point of the OP, buy a Tesla and hope that one day you get some quasi-functional feature, or buy a different car and get all the fully functional features now. Over the Air Updates make for a great sales story as it has theoretically huge potential, almost everything is possible, however Tesla historically hasn't really shown that it delivers more than other guys had ready when your car was built. Instead, what OTA allowed Tesla to do is ship unfinished products while selling dreams which will never be fulfilled (e.g. "summon anywhere on private property for AP1" anyone, or "summon across the country for AP2"?).

So 30% coal, 30% fracked gas, 30% nuclear, 10% other? Still nothing to gloat over.

And how are you calculating the human cost of the cobalt being mined? You do understand where it comes from, right?

Straw men? Hardly. You just ain’t woke and like to piss in other people’s cereal.
Two things in EVs' favour:
1. Industrial power plants are more efficient that a collection of millions of piston engines.
2. EVs use power more efficiently than combustion cars

If you multiply those two efficiencies into the comparison EVs are far less pollution, and much more sustainable. Even the coal will last longer:)

Reactions: mhan00
So 30% coal, 30% fracked gas, 30% nuclear, 10% other? Still nothing to gloat over.

And how are you calculating the human cost of the cobalt being mined? You do understand where it comes from, right?

Straw men? Hardly. You just ain’t woke and like to piss in other people’s cereal.

20% nuclear, 17% renewable in 2017.
What is U.S. electricity generation by energy source? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Coal generation is going to drop again over the next couple of years (5% capacity closures), NG will be up, renewables will be up. Efficiency is increasing, pollution is reducing. Given the cost trends in renewables and, especially, batteries, there's more to come.

I love how my local Audi dealer treats me. I can valet my car at the airport when I leave for a trip (I fly frequently), they'll come get it, perform service, and return it. It's so great.

Tesla used provide airport service (at least @LAX from their Service Center, no service required, and they'd wash your car)... this was the early years 2013-2015.

The airport service was the idea of the Service Reps (Vince)... at the time these guys used to sincerely care about providing good service and a great EXPERIENCE; owners at that time were very appreciative. Things were starting to go south before Jerome Guillen was promoted to improve it; while I don't doubt he tried... things didn't improve and have only gotten worse. Maybe that was by design...

Last edited:
...contrast that with how very sad Tesla drivers look when they're all queued up for hours waiting for a SuperCharger slot to open (and arguing over who's next).

Um yeah, this must be a California metropolitan/city issue. Not an issue in Phoenix, Arizona or any parts of the West that I've seen. I actually feel weird pulling up to Superhcargers in Sedona, AZ or Flasgstaff, AZ or I-10. I usually see one Tesla. I actually use destination chargers at hotels and locations because I feel that they aren't being used enough. See too many ICE cars parked in EV and destination spots. Recently changed to different customer plan in Chandler, AZ. Charging costs me about 6 cents per kilowatt. $3.60-$4.20 if I ever actually charged at home 60-70Kw. Did I mention my wife's employer has free charging. Free Charging everywhere, with the Model 3 and destination chargers.

• Funny
Reactions: Struja
Um yeah, this must be a California metropolitan/city issue. Not an issue in Phoenix, Arizona or any parts of the West that I've seen. I actually feel weird pulling up to Superhcargers in Sedona, AZ or Flasgstaff, AZ or I-10. I usually see one Tesla. I actually use destination chargers at hotels and locations because I feel that they aren't being used enough. See too many ICE cars parked in EV and destination spots. Recently changed to different customer plan in Chandler, AZ. Charging costs me about 6 cents per kilowatt. $3.60-$4.20 if I ever actually charged at home 60-70Kw. Did I mention my wife's employer has free charging. Free Charging everywhere, with the Model 3 and destination chargers.

I once came home from the Sherway SC near my home excited that I had seen 10 chargers in use at once (they have 20), so no issues North of the border either (at least not yet). I haven't been to too many SC but there is one in Roseville, Michigan that I've been to about 20 times and I have yet to see another Tesla. I think Tesla's in Michigan are kind of like the lochness monster. Probably just a myth. ;)

Um yeah, this must be a California metropolitan/city issue.

It's probably more of a CA issue, because I asstimate 60% of Tesla's sold are in CA...

As the 3 ramps up deployment, you might see less vacant bays in your area. 3 owners are less likely to own/rent a place w/charging options.

Truly sad that Elon/Tesla couldn't figure out pack swapping (or didn't want to so they could sell larger packs); another great opportunity for China (NIO) to drink our milkshake.

It's probably more of a CA issue, because I asstimate 60% of Tesla's sold are in CA...

As the 3 ramps up deployment, you might see less vacant bays in your area. 3 owners are less likely to own/rent a place w/charging options.

Sounds like a lot of S and X owners in California use SC for daily driving instead of charging in the garage. Model 3 owners do not get free SC, and thus make it less incentive to use the SC besides during long trips

Sounds like a lot of S and X owners in California use SC for daily driving instead of charging in the garage. Model 3 owners do not get free SC, and thus make it less incentive to use the SC besides during long trips

I've already met several 3 owners at SC's in SoCal who basically use it as a 'fill-up station' despite being charged... mostly because they don't have charging capability in their residence (even at my work; all chargers are full by 8am).

Right now the 3 is still positioned for an upper economic class; those in their 30's who mostly own a home. When the "35k" 3 gets released (and they start a lease program), it will target a different demographic, i.e. renters in their 20's - who live in condo's, apartments, etc; where plugging in isn't really an option... yet they really want a Tesla. This demographic would have definitely benefited from pack swapping stations...

I know Tesla has been ramping up SC's in preparation, however it's probably going to get a little more rough for those in metro areas... at least for a while.

I will give credit to Tesla over any other EV manufacture (trying to get back on topic) for at least building out a practical fast charging network, and basically eliminating the range anxiety argument from ICE advocates...

Reactions: whitex
Partial list that are full midday and evenings and often both:
Hawthorne/SpaceX

The next 6 months will tell the story in SoCal. Either the whole region regresses to what the OC was when it had all of 1 SC and the highest ownership density on the continent, or Tesla stays abreast of demand.

It ain’t rocket science.

Heh... that last statement perfectly hits the bone.

Last edited: