Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I Won't Be Purchasing My 3rd Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S is "convenient but not comfortable"

That's my assessment after making the difficult decision to not purchase my 3rd model S after my lease ends next month. I started with a P85 for 2.5 years before the desire for AP took over and I decided to bite the bullet, eat $24k in depreciation and lease a P90D with AP. I loved both cars and the performance and acceleration was so incredible that it helped me overlook some of the nuances and fit/finish issues that I think are important in a $100k+ vehicle. Within 3 months, my drivers seat would squeak and creek every time I sat in it or moved around. They tried to fix it by applying a grease of some sort to the leather, but it would recur every few months and eventually I was tired of taking it back. The service center initially was incredibly accommodating and you could feel they valued your business. They would pick up the car from my office, and valet back and forth for service and repairs. That is clearly changing as their sales are ramping up with the lower cost Model 3. Unfortunately the service, attention and personal touch is not scaling equally with sales volume.

I decided that I could not in good faith spend $148k on a P100D with the same fit/finish issues since 2013. The 100D did not perform close to what I was used to with the P90D, so I really had no choice but to get the P100D.

This post is not meant to bash the Model S. I was one of the original owners and a fanboy through and through. But the company has not evolved it's materials and product and it was time for me to move on.

I test drove a BMW M5 and realized what 100+ year old company with engineering and manufacturing experience can produce. The materials used throughout feel high quality, engineered with the end user in mind. I am more impressed with the technology and the customization of the M5 compared to the Model S. The performance is there, it's truly a drivers car. It's not quite as fast to 60 as the Model S, but I'm realizing more and more that there's more to life than going fast in a straight line.

As I type this, I'm enjoying my supple leather seats that heat/cool and massage me as I drive. The roar from the exhaust is something I didn't realize I missed so much. Wireless Apple CarPlay and HUD make driving more enjoyable and provide a much better user experience. Even the way the doors close and engage the car has been thought out. It is well built. I'm sure many of you have seen Model X vehicles where the door handles don't even line up - so disappointing.

Hopefully Tesla doesn't forget their roots and continues to innovate without forgetting their loyal customer base. We need a nicer car. We need more comfort. We need better materials and higher quality fit/finish. My 150k car should not creak and squeak when I sit inside.
Quitter

• Funny
Reactions: Sandollars
The roar of the exhaust was sultry, like the hot breath of an old lover on the nape of a neck.... The vibrations invoked a scintillating pleasure that few travelers could comprehend... the carbon monoxide allowed an autoerotic asphyxiated climax to the drive. Autopilot be damned...

You mean the roar of the fake exhaust note piped in through the speakers. Plus the only ones that get to enjoy the carbon monoxide are the ones behind him traffic while he burns his kids gas.

I do wish him the best of it. Hopefully he meets the love of his life at Jiffy Lube.

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
It never fails to amaze me the effort some will take to post on a forum about moving on. I mean, why not just.... move on?

Some people can't have closure without talking *sugar* on the way out. The ironing is delicious that he traded down by "trading up".

If OP was notable in anyway, he'd get banned from Tesla's - love how Elon takes no *sugar*.

Banned By Tesla! – Stewart Alsop – Medium

It never fails to amaze me the effort some will take to post on a forum about moving on. I mean, why not just.... move on?

Exactly! This forum is for Tesla owners to rave about how great Tesla's are and how we're superior for owning one, or two or three! Why would we want to hear anything else...

I found some genuine unicorn poop on the ground next to my Model Y P500D+ this morning. I'm going to get that rascally unicorn!

Reactions: JayyyDeee
I am a new owner and purchased my model s despite a lot of the “known issues” that the OP brings up. These are real issues that shouldn’t be overlooked and need to be addressed if Tesla is going to be the dominant EV player. Over the next 5-10 years there will be real competition from automakers that have a lot of experience delivering well made vehicles with great service. They are funding EV R&D at never before seen levels, in 10 years a lot of these companies won’t have many ICE vehicles for sale.

I am a new owner and purchased my model s despite a lot of the “known issues” that the OP brings up. These are real issues that shouldn’t be overlooked and need to be addressed if Tesla is going to be the dominant EV player. Over the next 5-10 years there will be real competition from automakers that have a lot of experience delivering well made vehicles with great service. They are funding EV R&D at never before seen levels, in 10 years a lot of these companies won’t have many ICE vehicles for sale.

Yes, we all know the issues that need to be addressed. Tesla is lucky they zero competition today.

But...the other auto manufactures are sooo lucky those issues are not fixed and Elon cannot ramp fast enough.

I suggest time better spent - doing an intro email to other Ultimate (fake noise) driving (street) machine (dino burning) forum members.

Sorry I am extra bitter since a M4 parked in the EV charging spot outside my office window.

This forum is not only for tesla lovers, it's a forum for ALL information about tesla vehicles to be spread to the masses. The OPs opinion is just as valid as the one who loves his car and wouldnt drive an ICE again ever. A new user looking a possibly buying a tesla would read BOTH opinions and make his/her decision and that's the damned point of this forum.

All vehicles are flawed including teslas and the more opinions and feedback we have the richer this forum will be for it.

Reactions: MXWing
I must be lucky, 112k miles, jan 2013 build. Not one issue. Oh, sorry one door mechanism broke . I replaced gear.
I am a old gearhead, 800hp Malibu, 400hp S10. 4 Benz, 6 vettes, 2 BMW. I would never go back to a gas car, period.
My only complaint, i keep burning thru tires. Goodyear says they have an EV tire coming soon.
As for the nay sayers, Wall Street. Go somwhere else to complain. Yes it aint perfect, but neither was the first Apple II .
Oh, i aint been beat off a light yet. Ate a 488 up the other day.

What about the vehicles that are half the price of even the baseline Model S/X? And those that are half the price of the fully loaded P100D S/X? Are the numerous "surrendered" features acceptable?

Yes, I agree you can find -something- in a Kia that a P100D S/X might not have.

Performance, EV, Software, Driver Assist - those are Tesla's wheelhouse.

Those are the things I don't expect a vehicle half the price to top Tesla on.

The things BMW does well, it does better than Tesla in its vehicles that are half the price of the Model S/X.

The things Lexus does well, it does better than Tesla in its vehicles that are half the price of the Model S/X.

The things Audi does well, it does better than Tesla in its vehicles that are half the price of the Model S/X.

Do you see the pattern?

(Hint: it has nothing to do with Tesla. Observe the transient definitions of "surrender nothing.")

Reactions: Destiny1701
The things BMW does well, it does better than Tesla in its vehicles that are half the price of the Model S/X.

The things Lexus does well, it does better than Tesla in its vehicles that are half the price of the Model S/X.

The things Audi does well, it does better than Tesla in its vehicles that are half the price of the Model S/X.

Do you see the pattern?

(Hint: it has nothing to do with Tesla. Observe the transient definitions of "surrender nothing.")

They all burn gas better?

Can split hairs all day long.. would you be happier if I amended it to say "surrender almost nothing that cars are typically benchmarked on?"

Performance = not only not available on vehicle's half Tesla's price...but (assuming we are talking P100D) not really available at any price on a production car at this point if we are talking acceleration (track use is a different story, though I'd guess 90%+ of us probably will never track a car, and 95%+ of us will not do it more than once or twice).

EV = available for half-ish price of an S/X...Nissan Leaf and Kia Niro as examples. But not (yet) in the 250-330 mile (EPA) range or with better than ~50kW DC charging speed.

Software = no other current production vehicle really gets over-the-air improvements like Tesla (sadly! Why not??). My car has received numerous new features OTA and a 1.3 second drop in 0-60 (uncorking) time after a software update. Next closest may be the new Jaguar I-PACE but other than a (promised) OTA update to enable (slightly) faster charging speeds, it will be seen if they pump regular feature updates like Tesla.

Driver Assist = available in other cars, some near half-ish price of lower end Model S/X like the Nissan Leaf with ProPilot assist. While AutoPilot may be today just slightly more advanced than some of the other driver assist systems in cheaper cars, I suspect with 9.0 the gap will be significantly widened (we shall see, I suppose).

There is no such thing as a perfect automobile. And we all have things we like and dislike about any car - or any product, really. So it's just up to people to figure out what combination of things they appreciate and capabilities provided - and for what price - to work with their lifestyle.

I for one, find Tesla's offering very compelling. But I do hope the other manufacturer's up their game over the next two years and introduce some great alternative EVs. The more compelling EVs we have, the faster the tipping point will be achieved. I for one couldn't see buying another new ICE vehicle after having owned an almost zero compromise (for what's important to me - YMMV) EV. But that's me and everyone sees things how they see it.