TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why I won't be tempted while waiting...

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TEG, Apr 26, 2016.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Other new 200mile+ EVs are coming soon.
    I won't likely be tempted by the other offerings, and happy to wait for Model 3 for many reasons, not the least of which are:

#1: Supercharging network
    #2: AWD option
    #3: Better performance
    #4: That giant glass roof

Nissan LEAF gen 2 might be interesting, but I doubt it will have any of the above.

Tesla will probably win on styling as well.

• Like x 2
  2. Boourns

Boourns Member

I had a Leaf, and while I have not followed the rumors of the gen 2 model, I would be shocked if it can compete with the features and range the Model 3 will offer for the price. It was a good car, but it does not compare.

Granted, the Leaf was designed 6+ years ago at this point, so I'm sure Nissan has learned a lot and technology has no doubt improved. But based on how Nissan handled battery degradation and other issues, I do not have the same faith in Nissan as I would in Tesla.

3. GSP

GSP Member

Not temped TEG?

Ok, I see your point, given the cars listed.

But, what about a used Model S? That would be nice while waiting for the 3. :cool:

Happy anticipation,

GSP

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I am amazed how well Tesla is doing with their drag numbers too. Why did all the bigger funded, long established car companies fail to get such low CD numbers for their cars?
    Tesla is proving you can get really low CD numbers and still have great looking vehicles.

• Like x 1
  5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

It is just too big for my tastes.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I thought you were talking about something different until I read the second sentence. ;)

7. McRat

McRat Active Member

Downforce enhances traction. It's how hypercars do what they do, and how you can be stable at >200mph today.

However, downforce adds drag.

Here's what happens when you have neutral downforce and extremely low Cd at 190mph:

What you saw: Air pressure is pushing on the front of the car with a force equal to the thrust. Eventually the force exceeds the traction, and just pushes the nose around.

Remember that if you decide to go past 150 mph in a car.

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

Just worthless comment on Nissan.

Just after buying my Signature, Nissan contacted me asking why I had not bought a Leaf. I responded in one word: "Range."
    This prompted Nissan to pay me to attend a discussion. I was required to keep a log of my miles used, for a week. Then I was invited to Nissan headquarters where they had a large round table pretty much entirely surrounded by Nissan people. I was the only non Nissan at the table, and with video on, I told them why I bought Tesla for over $100,000 when I could have had a Leaf. When we were done, I took a couple of the execs out for a ride.
    They knew then why a Leaf doesn't work for a good many people. But we still don't have anything else.
    And some people claim Tesla takes too long!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If my Model 3 "only" had a 130MPH top speed, I woudn't mind. I don't ever plan to drive it that fast.

• Like x 1
  10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

If the CPO inventory opens back up, I will admit to being tempted by a used Model S. Before the great sell off, there were several that were getting down pretty "cheap".

But that would be a very irrational thing for me to do - buy a car to only drive it 2 years. As well as the hit I would take unloading the Volt I own.

So as of now, I am glad the CPO inventory is not tempting me to do irrational things. ;)

11. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Because they let the stylists override the aerodynamicists, and then let the accountants override the stylists?

A used S is quite tempting. I just wish they weren't so ginormous.

12. garsh

garsh Re Member

My plan is to look at the CPO inventory when it comes time to commit to a 3. If there happens to be a CPO S with autopilot available at price comparable to a high-end 3, then I might have to go that route. I would actually prefer the larger size of the S.

13. Mark C

Mark C Member

Just checked The CPO preowned list a moment ago. There are exactly 2 cars available, a Red 2014 S 85 for $73k and a 2014 S P85D for $103k.

• Informative x 1
  14. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'm looking forward the to the new look of the 2017 Leaf. My expectations are that it won't look anything like the current version and it will be something beautiful. Too high?

15. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

I had considered waiting to see what Nissan would offer with the Leaf 2; however, even less was known about it than about the Model 3 prior to March 31 ($35K base, 200+ EPA miles, end of 2017). We still don't know when to expect to see the Leaf 2, let alone its expected range or price. And using Nissan's and Tesla's respective current offerings (gen 1 Leaf vs. Model S/X) as a gauge of what I can expect, the Model 3 was clearly the logical choice for me.

I'm not really bothered by the so-called "weirdmobile" look of the current Leaf (from someone who still drives a Gen 1 Prius), so whether or not the Leaf 2 transitions to a more conventional look isn't of primary importance to me. However, after seeing the beauty of Model 3 in the reveal, I was glad I'd waited in line earlier that day... that was the icing on the cake! Hey, my kids are grown up and I'm retired now, so it's time again that I treat myself to a sexy car!

Both sides of my brain are satisfied. :)

16. N5329K

N5329K Member

I have a Gen 1 Prius, too; 193,427 miles and still going strong.
    I don't see any Gen Leaf, or the Bolt for that matter, as contenders in the "entry-level luxury" market. They are more purely utilitarian designs.
    Robin

17. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

Wow - Point-of-View....My Sequoia was comfortable. I traded it in on a 4-runner and noticed I had to shoe horn everything in. No where near the cargo or storage bins. I have to fold up to get into my wife's sedan (Accord). The model S is another sedan, about the same size as the tiny Accord. I am really worried about being able to get into a M3 - that seems so small. And your POV is that a sedan is ginormous? ginormous? Wow

18. N5329K

N5329K Member

The Model S was way too big (on the outside) and not big enough (on the inside) for our mission. We bought a Prius V instead. That worked for us perfectly.
    The M3 seems like it will offer a better balance, even pulling off the Tardis Trick of feeling bigger inside than its outside would suggest, and it will replace a sedan.
    Robin