Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I won't order my Tesla...yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But in this price range, there are certain levels of quality you would come to expect. I understand Tesla chose Technology over certain things but the interior needs a little more TLC without having the need to spend more.
Materials, lack of cabin storage, fit and finish felt not up to par at this level of luxury car.

I completely agree with you on several points. My first Tesla was a lower VIN 18K ish and it's quality was lacking in so many ways and it was always in the shop. It was nowhere worth what I paid for. However Tesla as stepped up and the quality is o much better. My new Tesla's interior and exterior is o much better and it's only going to improve with time. I would like to ad that I personally think these cars are still over priced. But I love my Tesla and will not go back to a gas car unless I am forced.

The OP's position is likely to be an increasingly larger challenge for Tesla as they saturate owners willing to buy the Model S at luxury car prices, missing features present in other cars at the same price point, and when they move into the lower price range with the Model 3.

Agree. I often think the car is both an EV and a style experiment, and that they didn't have to go hand and hand. Greater penetration, in my view, will come from meeting more conventional expectations, as much as it will the "unique Tesla experience". There are too many variations of "it's right here, on the touch screen", where the old way was faster, more reliable and ergonomic. The screen, itself, has real quality touch response, much like the door handles. So, it is not so much materials for me, but when you have to double-over before drilling into a menu for your seat memory, your sense of conventional want kicks in.

Apologies for posting in the wrong section. Need to pay more attention next time.

It's great to see that this struck such great conversation. Shows how passionate we are about the subject.
Like some of you, I like technology, especially green ones. I'm also a car enthusiast to a certain degree. So this multiple aspect of me made my journey towards EV somewhat interesting.

I did not mean to pass any judgement on your own choices, values and priorities. I just wanted to share what my thought process has been so far.

I usually rotate cars every 3-4 years, so I am positive that the benefits from the GigaFactory will become available by my next car change. And because I change cars relatively often, my maintenance is usually covered by most carmakers all-inclusive programs.

We all try to be more environmentally responsible for those that will come after us and the car is one way to contribute to that. I also encourage recycling, buying smart and local, integrate a form of renewal energy in your daily life wherever possible, etc.

One thing I came across during my research is that 2015-16 will be an explosion year for EV and PHEV. There will be a plethora of choices and innovations at all price levels.
Therefore, I decided to hold back...for now.

Tesla needs to make a Luxury version L85D where people trade performance for luxury. I don't think a lot of customers care about 0-60 times and suspension mods during a daily commute with a lot of sitting in traffic. The new seats in the P85D seem like a step in the right direction so maybe they'll get there at some point.

Having the center console come standard with the car would be great (or if you really don't want it, the option could be deselected when you go to order). Other than that, I think the Model S is impressive overall especially with the new Autopilot and all-wheel drive features. I also find its fit and finish to be competitive with other brands.

Having the center console come standard with the car would be great (or if you really don't want it, the option could be deselected when you go to order). Other than that, I think the Model S is impressive overall especially with the new Autopilot and all-wheel drive features. I also find its fit and finish to be competitive with other brands.

Maybe great for you, but a lot of people like the open space as part of the minimalist design.

It's just that the pleasure from the regenerative braking, acceleration and surprisingly good handling trump all.
BTW, an S85 with Tech and Premium interior is just a tick over 78K with tax breaks in my state.

I admit that the one pedal driving was pretty sweet. What state are you referring to? I may want to down there and get one when the time comes.

An observation about the lack of a plush interior... it sounds like many posters have owned luxury cars in the past (present?). That is great and I am happy for you. However, there are a few of us that had to make quite a stretch to buy a Tesla. Accordingly, we are not accustomed to plush, and don't miss it. I bought one because it is innovative and totally unlike anything else on the road. It also happened to be at the right time in my life to make the stretch possible. There are many reasons to buy (or not buy) a Tesla.

I have been very concerned about the environment and what I consider “plateau” oil. I purchased a Roadster as what other car can get 119 MPGe? Then after I got it I realized how much fun it was to drive and I will never get a car without a plug. The low center of gravity, instant torque and no transmission is just a blast. The car made me realize what a pain it is to go to the gas station. No more fumes, hassle or time.

Then we upgraded our house with solar and now power the house and car on sunshine. This cut our CO2 by 70% and our “fuel” bill by $3500/year. Yes the car and the solar system were not low cost but I am now self-sufficient for the next 25 years. I can also tell my kids and grand-kids that yes we heard the warnings on climate change and we did what was possible to make a difference.

Can I get a cheaper car, YES. Can I get a more luxurious car, YES. But nothing registers a vote and confidence in the future as a solar powered car.

There are tradeoffs involved in any car design. Reading your initial post, I'm sure the S isn't for you and I think it makes sense for you to hold off.

"I like some level of performance, so long as I can get 0-60mph in less than 7secs, I'm happy." kind of says it all.

Leaving aside eco items, the strength's of the S are its power, beyond lightning fast throttle response, family car suitability and handling - especially for a large family sedan.

The S has a magnetic appeal to people who want a drivers car. Clearly, that's not you. That's not meant to be an indictment or negative judgement, btw. There are a lot of drivers out there who want some performance and a lot more comfort and luxury.

Given that, it's hard to argue with the statement that for the $$, you'd be happier picking a different car.

Good luck and check Tesla another time. The base Model 3 might be a better fit for you. Only time will tell.

The best feature of the model S for me in Australia, is that I get to stick it to OPEC. THAT is invaluable! Our petrol is around a $1.45 a $1.50 a LITRE!! On top of which I am supplying funds to support terrorism? No thank you.!!
Off-topic, but I see you still have cheap fuel compared to us here in Norway. I lived in Brisbane for 1,5years and used to laugh at the price of fuel:)

So when Elon can make a car that is Lux comparable and doesn't demand such a high premium for EV technology, I have to hold back and wait. So Mr. Musk, I hope you can overcome this sooner than later.

Unfortunately there’s only one way he can get there.

You’re welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

To expand on this a bit, if you really can afford the car but don’t want to buy it on principle that it’s too expensive for what you get, and you want to wait until the price comes down, to this I say, thank goodness there are some people who don’t think like this, otherwise we would never get from here.. to there.