Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I'll Use the ICE Car For Vacation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip from my home in Georgia to my brother's house in Tulsa, Ok. Come on Tesla, lets get some charging stations somewhere between Little Rock, Ar. and Tulsa. Also, only one charger in Memphis and it's on the wrong side of town. I know the fix is in the works, but it seems like it's taking forever for construction to even begin.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 3.24.29 PM.png

Apparently you haven't noticed the SC expansion going on in this country......
Yes, I noted that there are new locations planned. That's why I said a fix is in the works. Apparently you missed that part of my post. I checked the map on the Tesla site, but they just say they're expected to open sometime this year. You would think they could be a little more specific. Frustrating for planning purposes.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Which Model 3 and which wheels do you use for the setting?
What setting for extra passengers, weather condition...
What max speed to you use?

Are you using a M3P 20" ?

The 20% SOC on arrival might be a little pessimistic, unless winter drive or heavy load.​

If you change the Max Speed to 60 miles per hour from Little Rock to Lowell,
I got 92% to 5% in 3h 42 instead of your 99% to 20% in 3h 35.

Last edited:
Which Model 3 and which wheels do you use for the setting?
What setting for extra passengers, weather condition...
What max speed to you use?

Are you using a M3P 20" ?

The 20% SOC on arrival might be a little pessimistic, unless winter drive or heavy load.​

If you change the Max Speed to 60 miles per hour from Little Rock to Lowell,
I got 92% to 5% in 3h 42 instead of your 99% to 20% in 3h 35.
I have the Stealth with 18" wheels. I am not going to drive 60 when the limit is 70. Only me and my Pomeranian.

Noted that I-40 sucks...

You’d be better off charging to 90% at Little Rock, travel the speed limit to Lowell, and arrive at around 9-10% SoC...versus charging to 99% which will take much longer.

I understand the 20% bottom - I do the same when I can, but if I have to charge higher than 90% to make the next charge stop, I’ll let it drop below 20% instead - just don’t floor it at low SoC.

It's not the longer stretch that would bother me here, it's the turning a 11h45m drive into a 14h30m one (and that's an optimistic number). I've done similar long drives in both ICE and the Model 3, and it's a way longer day with the Model 3. I don't find that I fit the "I need to stop every 3 hours for 30 minutes anyway!", personally. And only once has a place I want to take a break at corresponded with a Supercharger location (thanks, Panda Express :) ).

But the long charger gaps are nasty on the nerves if the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Notably there's a couple CHAdeMO charging options if you have the adapter, but they require detours.

Google maps lists 11 hours, 25 minutes for the route. ABP lists 15 hours 34 minutes for that same route (using the city-center and LR as your addresses and model are hidden). That is an extra 3.8 hours which equals an extra 33% travel time.

I'd say that an extra 33% travel time is about right for most routes across the country.

If you had an extra station, you would have less charge time than the 45 minutes, but you would also have increased time getting to/from the additional supercharger and plugging in. Its hard to do that math, but it may only equal 20 minutes savings or less.

So in conclusion, you are not experiencing a significant problem due to these missing stations, when viewed in the context of a 12 hour trip and the additional charge times that are part of the "EV experience".

In my opinion, having a car with autopilot would justify this additional 4 hours, but I understand why people would take the ICE car.

Notably there's a couple CHAdeMO charging options if you have the adapter, but they require detours.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I did the same route with chademo allowed. There is a Francis Energy station not too far off 40 which saves only 1h17m compared to a detour to the Lowell, AR supercharger. (It would have saved more, except the chademo adapter is soooo slow, which eats up some of the time saved from not driving the detour :()

For reference here is the screen shot and relevant settings:

* allow chademo
* speed: 120% of reference, limit at 85mph
* charger arrival 10% (makes charging faster)

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 5.39.26 PM.png

As an alternative, its 230 miles to the Muskogee, OK airport 16kW destination charger from the Little Rock SC. You could stop there for an hour or so of charging to get you the rest of the way. From there it is only 50 miles to the Catoosa, OK SC, or maybe your brother's house if closer. Check it out on Plugshare.com.

Thanks everyone for the different ideas. I do have the app for Plug Share and I checked out a few of the locations along the route. Trouble with them is the charging rate. I'm not one to just wait an hour when I'm traveling. I have relatives near Little Rock who I may stop and see on this trip. I can drive there in the ICE in 8 hours 20 minutes. That includes two stops for fuel/restroom. Add another hour to that in the 3.

I used an ICE car for vacation because we put on a huge pile of miles in a very short time. Made it easy for me to justify the rental car expense. Was able to rent a car for 9 days for under $200. Put 2,500 miles on that thing. I thought it was a good deal instead of depreciating my car. We have a 2017 S, 2018 3, 20016 Leaf (purchases earlier this year used for the kiddo0

Reactions: Watts_Up