Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I'll Use the ICE Car For Vacation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning a trip from my home in Georgia to my brother's house in Tulsa, Ok. Come on Tesla, lets get some charging stations somewhere between Little Rock, Ar. and Tulsa. Also, only one charger in Memphis and it's on the wrong side of town. I know the fix is in the works, but it seems like it's taking forever for construction to even begin.
Just what you need... Supercharger - Ozark, AR

Reactions: Thumpernator
We want the Odyssey daddy, we have more room to stretch. "Shut up, you have been outvoted!",
xxxxing petrolheads:) At least when they were in diapers there was no arguing, now the three teens
outsmart me and I can't even spank them anymore (I want to see my grandkids).
Good thing the e-Pacifica died on the test drive, not our worry anymore.

We want the Odyssey daddy, we have more room to stretch. "Shut up, you have been outvoted!",
xxxxing petrolheads:) At least when they were in diapers there was no arguing, now the three teens
outsmart me and I can't even spank them anymore (I want to see my grandkids).
Good thing the e-Pacifica died on the test drive, not our worry anymore.
Hahah. I was test driving a Rav 4 Prime (my mom wanted one). Then I realize they never charged the car, I was 4 miles from the dealership, and the gas tank was empty. I called the stealership and asked "Will you reimburse me for gas, or should I give you the address where the car dies?"
Who sends a plug-in hybrid out on a test drive without at least a semi-full battery? The manager actually told me "Oh, it's hard to charge it" WTF? You're trying to sell this? I feel that's why the big brands will have trouble being successful selling EVs. Nobody at the dealership cares enough to sell them.

Driving that distance is painful.

Just did a 6600 mile road trip in our Model X .... painful is the last word I'd use to describe it. I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy the entire drive was, frankly.

Road trip description here: #275

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 4.40.57 PM.png

Just did a 6600 mile road trip in our Model X .... painful is the last word I'd use to describe it. I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy the entire drive was, frankly.

Road trip description here: #275

View attachment 579620

How many hours did you drive?

For me, any drive time over 2 hours is painful (to me). I would rather fly, if possible. I've done 27 hour cross country trips in one jump. We shifted driving between the four of us (every few hours). Of course, you broke up the trip into smaller drives. Still that is a lot of driving.

But many trips are just boring, hour after hour of nothing to see. That was my point.

You could always "detour" through the Bentonville/Fayettville area. LOTS of Teslas on the roads around the HQ area for Walmart. :) I'd expect there to be more charging stations around there. Here on the east coast, I wouldn't be concerned at all about finding a convenient charger.

Personally, the only reason I don't use the model 3 for family trips is its size. Not quite enough room for the entire family + gear. I considered that when I bought it. We have an ICE-powered SUV for longer family excursions. My wife uses that as her DD. I suppose I could have gotten an X, but the vast majority of the time it's just me in the car and it didn't seem like a good use of those extra dollars.

Best,