TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why I'm not buying a new Model S - yet

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bob_p, Dec 25, 2016.

1. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Other than disappointment with software quality and functionality, our nearly 4 year old "classic" P85 has been a fantastic car - and we're ready to purchase a replacement that will do even better as our "road trip" car.

We've been waiting for the improved AP - which could expand driver assisted or potentially self driving beyond AP 1.0 - which is available now.

We'd like to see at least 25% more range than our P85. The P100D is close, but we aren't interested in the supercar acceleration, plus the P100D only gets 20 miles more range than a 90D. Assuming a 100D will get 330-340 miles of range - that's what we want, and we'll wait until it's available, hopefully soon.

Now that it appears that 5-10 minute road trip charging (with SC V3) is coming, that's also what we want, and we could delay our purchase further until we can purchase a car with SC V3 support built-in, or at least available as a post-purchase upgrade.

It's true, that if you want to have the latest and greatest, you'll end up deferring your purchase forever, because Tesla will always have something better coming out "soon".

But the combination of (potentially) full self driving, longer range and shorter road trip charging times is extremely compelling - and we'll likely wait until we can get all of that before we spend over $100K on another Tesla car...

• Like x 1
  2. msnow

msnow Active Member

Makes perfect sense. I personally don't care much about AP 2.0 because I think it's a decade away and probably full self-driving is another upgrade or two away plus they never really fulfilled the promise of AP 1.0 but 330-340 mile range and particularly very fast charging are worth waiting for.

3. Nick B

Nick B Member

I also agree and that is why I plan on keeping my P85+ for at least 5 more years unless a really good deal for a D (I don't miss not having autopilot but I think that 4 wheel drive could make a justifiable difference) eventually presents itself. Regarding performance, I find that 0-100km in less than 4.2 seconds is more than enough so I might even consider a standard 90D or 100D rather than the very expensive P versions... I guess we'll see!

• Like x 1