Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why i'm trading in my 2018 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 model X P100D and a 2018 Model S P100D. Generally the X is more functional for me on a daily basis because it's got 6 seats and the S, while it can do 7, is really not for adults or even tall children in the rear facing seats.

Second, we are in a pandemic, and right now I don't need two cars. My office went completely digital and now there's zero commute. It makes having two cars really unnecessary right now.

Third, i'm getting an insane price on my car from a dealer that is willing to grab it and put it on their lot. This gets me in positive territory 10k+ over what I owe (and i've generally been doing monthly payments and didn't put a large sum down on it).

Fourth, and really MOST OF ALL, is the tech. Yeah i've got FSD but i'm sitting here waiting for cybertruck in about a year or two and i'm waiting on the next S. I don't even have cheetah mode and really think that in the next year or so we will see the new battery developments materialize and I don't want to be stuck with the current iteration of my model S.

Fifth, I hate the fact that model 3 can charge faster than us. I just hate it, I don't care what anyone says it's just a slap in the face. They should have at least built some components replaceable so that the charge rate could be increased with say a hardware purchase, etc. Also, the model 3 performance literally can beat our model S around a track. While straight line performance it's second to none, honestly, i'd rather have it excel on the curves.

Sixth, battery technology is coming down in price by "orders of magnitude" and while S will always be a premium priced car, i'm pretty confident with the constant price lowering that in about a year or so after this pandemic is over, or longer depending on how things go, battery tech will be THERE.

This would be my second Model S sold and the second time I bought FSD in a model S. I had a 2017 90D model S and then picked up my 2018 Model S P100D.

Extremely sad to see it go but I know it's for the best.

I have a 2017 model X P100D and a 2018 Model S P100D. Generally the X is more functional for me on a daily basis because it's got 6 seats and the S, while it can do 7, is really not for adults or even tall children in the rear facing seats.

Second, we are in a pandemic, and right now I don't need two cars. My office went completely digital and now there's zero commute. It makes having two cars really unnecessary right now.

Third, i'm getting an insane price on my car from a dealer that is willing to grab it and put it on their lot. This gets me in positive territory 10k+ over what I owe (and i've generally been doing monthly payments and didn't put a large sum down on it).

Fourth, and really MOST OF ALL, is the tech. Yeah i've got FSD but i'm sitting here waiting for cybertruck in about a year or two and i'm waiting on the next S. I don't even have cheetah mode and really think that in the next year or so we will see the new battery developments materialize and I don't want to be stuck with the current iteration of my model S.

Fifth, I hate the fact that model 3 can charge faster than us. I just hate it, I don't care what anyone says it's just a slap in the face. They should have at least built some components replaceable so that the charge rate could be increased with say a hardware purchase, etc. Also, the model 3 performance literally can beat our model S around a track. While straight line performance it's second to none, honestly, i'd rather have it excel on the curves.

Sixth, battery technology is coming down in price by "orders of magnitude" and while S will always be a premium priced car, i'm pretty confident with the constant price lowering that in about a year or so after this pandemic is over, or longer depending on how things go, battery tech will be THERE.

This would be my second Model S sold and the second time I bought FSD in a model S. I had a 2017 90D model S and then picked up my 2018 Model S P100D.

I think your reasoning is sound but I concur with another poster that some will take umbrage about your reasoning (applied to their own Model S cars).

Despite the vaccine becoming available today, we're still in the thick of a pandemic and L.A. is under lockdown. I work from home full-time and the holidays are upon us. I'm debating not having any car because I could still sell the P3D- at a decent price, whether that's to an individual or a company such as Shift, Vroom, Carvana, Carmax, etc. I'd put that money back into TSLA and drive my girlfriend's Model 3 until such time as I actually need a car. Even now, I only drive when I miss experiencing my car, not because I need my own car. The same would apply to hers, and we live together so it would work fine. Granted, every time I actually get to drive my car I don't want to sell it! And so it goes.

I think a lot of people may be thinking along these lines with the refreshed Model 3s out, and for some of the reasons you've mentioned.

people will generally disagree with your post because it will make their car looking bad and they dont have money to buy new one.
But i agree with you, now is the best time to sell MS, if you wait one more month value of used MS will drop significantly

For reference, I'm disagreeing with your post because I think your conclusion is wrong, not because I think it's going to make my "car looking bad".

The existing Model S already has the dated platform priced into it. The fact that you can buy one right now with everything included for $70k is astonishing.

Based on observed pricing changes in Europe, any refreshed model is going to come at a substantial price premium, as it should. Thus, I don't expect any outsized effect on the value of older cars beyond the normally observed and well documented depreciation.

At any rate, selling a slightly used car to try and minimize loss with the intent of buying a new one is almost always a losing financial bet in the end - as cars in general are terrible investments.

people will generally disagree with your post because it will make their car looking bad and they dont have money to buy new one.
But i agree with you, now is the best time to sell MS, if you wait one more month value of used MS will drop significantly

Owning a later model S is a bad idea if your interest is in the latest tech, as OP suggests. Really now you'd only want a Model S after March 2018 or so from possibility of proper FSD etc.

However, if all you want is an EV, then the older Model S (pre-facelift) is an excellent buy compared to other EVs on the market. Nothing comes close (Leaf, i3, Mini, even M3 SR+). These pre-facelift Model S have features and will keep depreciating at a rate that makes them more attractive than the latest cheap EV models.

If you own a pre-2018 facelift Model S be content with owning a fantastic car and not latest tech.

A 2018+ Model S will still have current functionality but not latest.

I disagree with the superiority of the X. Back in late 2016 we bought a new ‘16 Model X and a new ‘16 Performance S, we have now replaced both of them with 2 new Performance S’s due to the better utility of the S hatchback, I believe it is much better than our 6 seat Model X because of the design handicap of the X’s semi fixed 2nd row. The S also doesn’t gobble power like the X does on the highway at high Florida speeds. The S seems like a more solid car and the Performance S raw power is far better. I also have a ‘19 Performance 3 and while I really like the Performance 3, I don’t drive it on a racetrack, I drive on the road so the ability to beat the car around a track makes zero difference to me. We charge our cars in our garage and the charging is complete long before I need the car so faster charging doesn’t mean much. I think our Raven Performance S’s charge faster than the older pre-Raven cars. I considered updating our cars before year end but the 2021’s currently offer nothing above our current cars. I may trade our Performance 3 on a Performance Y as soon as the updates hit the Y though.

I think your reasoning is sound but I concur with another poster that some will take umbrage about your reasoning (applied to their own Model S cars).

Despite the vaccine becoming available today, we're still in the thick of a pandemic and L.A. is under lockdown. I work from home full-time and the holidays are upon us. I'm debating not having any car because I could still sell the P3D- at a decent price, whether that's to an individual or a company such as Shift, Vroom, Carvana, Carmax, etc. I'd put that money back into TSLA and drive my girlfriend's Model 3 until such time as I actually need a car. Even now, I only drive when I miss experiencing my car, not because I need my own car. The same would apply to hers, and we live together so it would work fine. Granted, every time I actually get to drive my car I don't want to sell it! And so it goes.

I think a lot of people may be thinking along these lines with the refreshed Model 3s out, and for some of the reasons you've mentioned.

Definitely sad about losing my S as I put a full lip skirt package around it and made a two tone wrap to cover the red...was gonna take off the wrap in about a year or so but meh - sold.

Nice while it lasted, refresh model s here I come!

Definitely sad about losing my S as I put a full lip skirt package around it and made a two tone wrap to cover the red...was gonna take off the wrap in about a year or so but meh - sold.

Nice while it lasted, refresh model s here I come!

That two-ton wrap looks great! Really. One of the nicer Model S wraps I've seen. The main thing I don't like about the Model S is how the rear chrome spears into both taillights. But, this could easily be fixed with some color-matched wrap/chrome-delete.

Are you (the OP) saying your office is PERMANENTLY digital/work remote? I mean, Im working from home for at least the next 5 months, and have been working from home since March. But at some point, many persons will be going back into an office, meaning a commute, meaning, the need for a car.

#1 To each his own.

But gotta ask: How often are you running into situations where you are charging is taking too long? I charge every other day or so in my garage on a nema 14-50, and even then I have my amps turned down from 32amps to about 24amps and it gets to 90% overnight easily. Admittedly, I dont road trip much but when I have, 15 mins at a supercharger and Im on my way. Also, its kinda known that smaller cars will get around a track faster than their larger brethren. (BMW M3 vs say, a much pricier M6). But a performance S has more grip/handling than almost any of us regularly use in daily driving..

And NO dealer gives "insane pricing" for a trade in or a purchase. They are in business to make money. If you think its in insane price, imagine how much more you'd get by selling it yourself directly to a private buyer. (its the only way that I sell any of my cars).

Just seems you are looking for some sort of support from us in your decision to sell. And we really dont matter. lol.

Are you (the OP) saying your office is PERMANENTLY digital/work remote? I mean, Im working from home for at least the next 5 months, and have been working from home since March. But at some point, many persons will be going back into an office, meaning a commute, meaning, the need for a car.

#1 To each his own.

But gotta ask: How often are you running into situations where you are charging is taking too long? I charge every other day or so in my garage on a nema 14-50, and even then I have my amps turned down from 32amps to about 24amps and it gets to 90% overnight easily. Admittedly, I dont road trip much but when I have, 15 mins at a supercharger and Im on my way. Also, its kinda known that smaller cars will get around a track faster than their larger brethren. (BMW M3 vs say, a much pricier M6). But a performance S has more grip/handling than almost any of us regularly use in daily driving..

Just seems you are looking for some sort of support from us in your decision to sell. And we really dont matter. lol.
We did a 1000 mile road trip convoy last week with an S100D and a Model 3 LR. While the S has a much larger battery and could've skipped some Supercharger locations, we charged at the same Superchargers as the Model 3. Sometimes the Model 3 finished charging first. Sometimes the Model 3 took longer to charge since it needed a higher SoC in order to get to the next Supercharger.

I've charged at close to 200 kW with my 2017 Model S. While that's lower than 250 kW that the Model 3 can charge at, it didn't make any difference on this trip as all of the Superchargers that we stopped at were v2.

We did a 1000 mile road trip convoy last week with an S100D and a Model 3 LR. While the S has a much larger battery and could've skipped some Supercharger locations, we charged at the same Superchargers as the Model 3. Sometimes the Model 3 finished charging first. Sometimes the Model 3 took longer to charge since it needed a higher SoC in order to get to the next Supercharger.

I've charged at close to 200 kW with my 2017 Model S. While that's lower than 250 kW that the Model 3 can charge at, it didn't make any difference on this trip as all of the Superchargers that we stopped at were v2.

I've never seen charging above 130-150 even at the 250KW stations

Reactions: mswlogo