Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why i'm trading in my 2018 P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We did a 1000 mile road trip convoy last week with an S100D and a Model 3 LR. While the S has a much larger battery and could've skipped some Supercharger locations, we charged at the same Superchargers as the Model 3. Sometimes the Model 3 finished charging first. Sometimes the Model 3 took longer to charge since it needed a higher SoC in order to get to the next Supercharger.

I've charged at close to 200 kW with my 2017 Model S. While that's lower than 250 kW that the Model 3 can charge at, it didn't make any difference on this trip as all of the Superchargers that we stopped at were v2.
close to 200kW? I thought only the Raven could get above 150kW? They didn't upgrade the cables from the charging port until around the time the raven came out (maybe some pre-ravens had it) but those were well after 2017 I thought?

close to 200kW? I thought only the Raven could get above 150kW? They didn't upgrade the cables from the charging port until around the time the raven came out (maybe some pre-ravens had it) but those were well after 2017 I thought?
Yes, non-Ravens got an upgrade in spring 2020 that allowed them to charge above 150 kW, close to 200 kW.

Yeah I call BS ok that too. Not even my 2018 P100d could do above 150

Originally Supercharging was limited to 90 kW but they've updated it many times via software updates to 120 kW, 145 kW, 150 kW, etc.:
Breaking! Tesla Increases Supercharging V2 Speeds As S & X Get On-Route Battery Warmup

When Ravens first came out, they had new hardware to support faster charging but were limited to 200 kW but then upgraded to 225 kW and 250 kW:
Tesla updates new 200+ kW Model S/X charge rate before reverting it to normal - Electrek
Tesla increases Model S and X Supercharging rate to 225 kW - Electrek
Tesla Model S, Model X specs reveal 250 kW Supercharging rate, suggesting 1,000 mph charging

With that said, it is possible to reach close to 200 kW on 2017 and 2018 Model S and X at a v3 Supercharger. You will still be limited to 150 kW at a v2 Supercharger. The state of charge has to be just right and the battery has to be conditioned to the optimal temperature. Back in June, I mentioned hitting a new record of 187 kW here: Supercharger - Centennial, CO

Here's a picture of a Supercharging session where I hit 187 kW at ~31% SoC. I had driven the car nearly 4 hours at highway speeds, starting in Golden, CO and then heading to Kremmling, CO (scouting out the new v3 Supercharger under construction) and then to the new v3 Centennial, CO Supercharger that had just opened that morning.
187 kW Supercharge.jpg

BTW, here's video (and the image shown above) where we mentioned hitting 187 kW that day in June (jump to 18:30):

I think my personal record was 187 kW but I remember seeing someone else posted on TMC about hitting 194 kW (or was it 197 kW?) when testing a v3 Supercharger in their non-Raven car, maybe at the v3 Kato Road test site.

Reactions: Cripps and mswlogo
That dealer is about to learn a lesson in teslanomics if the refresh rumors are true.

I assume this wasn’t Tesla you sold it to? No way they’d authorize a trade like this if it was going to lose them money in a month.

The refresh seems like wishful thinking at this point. I think an early release of Plaid is the more likely route. The margins on those will be huge and it will push the Model S ahead of Porsche, which will no doubt attract the people who pay for those margins.

I assume this wasn’t Tesla you sold it to? No way they’d authorize a trade like this if it was going to lose them money in a month.

The refresh seems like wishful thinking at this point. I think an early release of Plaid is the more likely route. The margins on those will be huge and it will push the Model S ahead of Porsche, which will no doubt attract the people who pay for those margins.
I wasn’t the one selling it. But no it appears it wasn’t Tesla.
I’m with you on the refresh, I think once production resumes it’ll be business as usual with the same car as before.

I’m with you on the refresh, I think once production resumes it’ll be business as usual with the same car as before.
I’m normally with you, but I think we’re really there this time. Wagering my hat that there’s a significant Model S refresh announced before Feb ‘21.

A Refresh is coming and it's for real this time. It was called out by an insider months ago and he/she was right about several other things. In fact, he was surprised to hear expected delivery for Plaid to be late 2021. We're getting a refresh in Q1 of 2021.

A Refresh is coming and it's for real this time. It was called out by an insider months ago and he/she was right about several other things. In fact, he was surprised to hear expected delivery for Plaid to be late 2021. We're getting a refresh in Q1 of 2021.
I’m normally with you, but I think we’re really there this time. Wagering my hat that there’s a significant Model S refresh announced before Feb ‘21.
I’m not against a refresh, the only thing I hope is that they don’t ruin the car and “simplify” it and make it look like the 3/Y.

It’s beautiful as is, and the interior is good. It could use some better materials and some more sound deadening but overall it’s much better than the 3/Y in my opinion.

Tesla seems to always make game day decisions with these things. I think an update would be great, but it’s hard to see how it would move the needle much in terms of sales, unless everyone is just waiting until there is a refresh. It’s not going to be a Porsche, interior, right? Maybe there’s a middle ground for people who can’t afford a Taycan, but hard to say.

I’m not against a refresh, the only thing I hope is that they don’t ruin the car and “simplify” it and make it look like the 3/Y.

It’s beautiful as is, and the interior is good. It could use some better materials and some more sound deadening but overall it’s much better than the 3/Y in my opinion.

Sorry to disappoint but the Interior will have a landscape screen so it will look like 3/Y I assure you of that too. Tesla looks to simplify things and if they're working on a cast body with integrated batteries they'd want to simplify other things like screens so I am certain a 3/Y like screen is coming, it'll probably be bigger and we'd still have the instrument cluster along with beads up display - purely my opinion.

Sorry to disappoint but the Interior will have a landscape screen so it will look like 3/Y I assure you of that too. Tesla looks to simplify things and if they're working on a cast body with integrated batteries they'd want to simplify other things like screens so I am certain a 3/Y like screen is coming, it'll probably be bigger and we'd still have the instrument cluster along with beads up display - purely my opinion.
The day Tesla releases a model s with the model 3 interior is the day I purchase a Porsche Panamera turbo.

Tesla seems to always make game day decisions with these things. I think an update would be great, but it’s hard to see how it would move the needle much in terms of sales, unless everyone is just waiting until there is a refresh. It’s not going to be a Porsche, interior, right? Maybe there’s a middle ground for people who can’t afford a Taycan, but hard to say.
I'm cross shopping and the taycan is already cheaper than my S was when I bought it, with more range and a lot faster. I'm considering it but Tesla has moved the technology needle so far forward it seems like an overall step back even with the much better interior and handling. A new Base S is faster than my Performance S and almost half the price with almost 200 more miles of range but a Taycan is only a little better than my old S and still more expensive than the base S.

Affordability isn't my issue with Porsche - bang for the buck is even with their lowered pricing. If a refresh S is more than a few months off I might get a Ford at Model 3 prices and trade it in when the new S finally arrives or Porsche catches up.

The day Tesla releases a model s with the model 3 interior is the day I purchase a Porsche Panamera turbo.

Well then, if I was you I'd start looking. I doubt they'll have 3/Y and Cybertruck with a landscape screen and will miss S/X with that. It'll be easier from manufacturing standpoint too, however, the display might be a bit bigger. A mixture of Roadster 2.0 and current S was predicted for the refreshed S which is rumored to have more than 2 screens. I think a landscape console + IC + HUD but then again who knows.

A Model S loses about $600/month in depreciation, and probably more after Tesla dropped the price in 2020. Sad to see it go, but it will make somebody else happy.

The Joy of Selling and the Joy of Buying.

Or donate your wealth to charity, embrace Buddhism, and move to Europe and get a Honda-E, beautiful landscape screen, like an Appalachian pole dancer until she smiles.
99% of charities are a “scam” as in most of the money goes toward administration fees and fundraiser events where these big shots drink champagne and raise money that’ll go mostly toward again administrative and fundraiser fees. It’s an endless cycle where the head honchos benefit more than the people who the charity is supposed to help do.

And that’s my take on charities :)

• Funny
Reactions: J.J.