Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found the performance quite alright for a huge SUV.
Acceleration is on par with a BMW 530i or Audi A6 45 TDI which are no slow cars.
It’s alright if all we had were ICE. It’s arguably enough, but I didn’t want just enough.

In terms of sustainability and in a world of autonomous driving, adding production costs to go 0-60 in under 4 seconds is likely a waste. But 5.6 (or whatever the E-Tron does) when Tesla offers so much better, for less, is a deal breaker to me.

It’s alright if all we had were ICE. It’s arguably enough, but I didn’t want just enough.

In terms of sustainability and in a world of autonomous driving, adding production costs to go 0-60 in under 4 seconds is likely a waste. But 5.6 (or whatever the E-Tron does) when Tesla offers so much better, for less, is a deal breaker to me.
It depends what you want doesn't it. I know the acceleration on a Tesla is outstanding but, let's be honest here, it's a party trick. A bit of numerical bling to look good. You don't notice those extra few seconds 99% of the time you drive a car. Some people, prefer the craftsmanship of the VAG cars. It's re assuring to sit in a car knowing the company that built it knows how to build cars, knows how to paint them and fit panels correctly.

It depends what you want doesn't it. I know the acceleration on a Tesla is outstanding but, let's be honest here, it's a party trick. A bit of numerical bling to look good. You don't notice those extra few seconds 99% of the time you drive a car. Some people, prefer the craftsmanship of the VAG cars. It's re assuring to sit in a car knowing the company that built it knows how to build cars, knows how to paint them and fit panels correctly.
Yes, obviously it depends to the buyer. Some are able to fool themselves that they don’t notice the difference.

It’s not a party trick. Acceleration has been a prominent determinant for decades. You may have an underlying physiological issue if you don’t notice the difference between 3.5 0-60 and 5.5.

I don’t care about minor cosmetic issues of Tesla, but the E-Tron did result in us waiting rather than get the MY. I’d pay the E-Tron MSRP for a MY with 10k more in options. If you’re looking for the whole package in an EV, as we are after owning Tesla’s for nearly 7 years, you’re likely waiting too.

Yes, obviously it depends to the buyer. Some are able to fool themselves that they don’t notice the difference.

It’s not a party trick. Acceleration has been a prominent determinant for decades. You may have an underlying physiological issue if you don’t notice the difference between 3.5 0-60 and 5.5.

I don’t care about minor cosmetic issues of Tesla, but the E-Tron did result in us waiting rather than get the MY. I’d pay the E-Tron MSRP for a MY with 10k more in options. If you’re looking for the whole package in an EV, as we are after owning Tesla’s for nearly 7 years, you’re likely waiting too.
It just is a party trick though. It's such a small part of what the majority of people look for in a car. Not me, I must admit, I fully understand and have fully gone for the quickest of the cheap Tesla. My point is that the majority of people can see a lot more to their cars than just one number. There's build quality, practicality, use of use, handling, number of seats. Even softer things like looks, the badge the car has, the options list. I would say very very few people buy a car soley on acceleration alone.

It just is a party trick though. It's such a small part of what the majority of people look for in a car. Not me, I must admit, I fully understand and have fully gone for the quickest of the cheap Tesla. My point is that the majority of people can see a lot more to their cars than just one number. There's build quality, practicality, use of use, handling, number of seats. Even softer things like looks, the badge the car has, the options list. I would say very very few people buy a car soley on acceleration alone.
Don’t resort to strawman. No one has claimed or even alluded to it as the only decision variable.

But it’s definitely one of the bigger ones, particularly for EVs in which the instant torque is one of the major inherent advantages over ICE. Acceleration is no more a party trick than any characteristic beyond the most basic car options. Like I alluded to, being inferior in this metric to other EVs was enough of a detriment to offset the things we liked better about the E-Tron. At ICE drivetrain “performance” like the E-Tron, I’ll consider ICE options too. For example, our X5 45e. If you somehow can’t tell the difference between 3.5 and 5.5 0-60, I’m sure you feel otherwise.

Don’t resort to strawman. No one has claimed or even alluded to it as the only decision variable.

But it’s definitely one of the bigger ones, particularly for EVs in which the instant torque is one of the major inherent advantages over ICE. Acceleration is no more a party trick than any characteristic beyond the most basic car options. Like I alluded to, being inferior in this metric to other EVs was enough of a detriment to offset the things we liked better about the E-Tron. At ICE drivetrain “performance” like the E-Tron, I’ll consider ICE options too. For example, our X5 45e. If you somehow can’t tell the difference between 3.5 and 5.5 0-60, I’m sure you feel otherwise.
I just disgaree. aside from myself I don't know anyone who cares about acceleration figures when they are buying a new car

Well I would have to disagree with you. I care about acceleration figures. The lower they get, the less I care. A 0-60 in 5.5 is probably adequate. A 0-60 of 8 seconds + would not be. I have the Model X which has a 0-60 of 4.4 seconds. I have a C7 Corvette with a 0-60 of 3.8 seconds. While the difference between n3.5 and 5.5 0-60 would easily be noticeable it would only be one factor in deciding which vehicle to purchase. At some point it does become academic.

"The United States currently imposes a 25% import tariff on light trucks, which includes SUVs, the most popular segment of the US auto industry."
Trump Will Keep Tariffs On European SUVs

The article you cited is incorrect. 4-door SUVs are not subject to the chicken tax. Many SUVs are imported to the US, including Range Rover, Land Cruiser, Cayenne, and 4Runner, and these are not subject to the tax. 2-door SUVs are subject to the tax.

Cargo vans are subject to the chicken tax, but there are loopholes: Ford would import the Transit Connect as a passenger van and then strip the interiors in the US. Mercedes imports the Sprinter with the drivetrain and other mechanicals removed.

I found the performance quite alright for a huge SUV.
Acceleration is on par with a BMW 530i or Audi A6 45 TDI which are no slow cars.
Absolutely correct.
And as this thread is about sales in Norway it adds another point to the equation:
Top Speed.
The 180km/h cap of the etron doesn't matter in a 130(?) km/h max country like Norway (didn't look up the exact limit, plz don't kill me about it)

August 2020 numbers:
Audi E-Tron: 755
Mercedes EQC: 595
VW E-Golf: 511
Tesla Model 3: 264

Mercedes EQC has overtaken Tesla Model 3 for 2020 (2137 EQC vs 2081 M3) in Norway

new-passenger-plug-in-car-registrations-in-norway-august-2020-source-ofv.png

I've driven them on multiple occasions.

It's a nice feature-packed SUV with normal Audi styling.
Norway has chargers everywhere and it charges very fast.

Here in the US the MSRP is a bit nuts (but lower than Model X), the dealers are admittedly clueless about the car, and the network is hit-or-miss depending on location.

August 2020 numbers:
Audi E-Tron: 755
Mercedes EQC: 595
VW E-Golf: 511
Tesla Model 3: 264

Mercedes EQC has overtaken Tesla Model 3 for 2020 (2137 EQC vs 2081 M3) in Norway

View attachment 583606 .
Yawn already, no one cares about a silly boat of an EV with 4 rings bought by people who want snob-appeal. By your logic here the EQC is the best car ever in the history of everything (up 19000%), and is a far better vehicle than the lame etron, with Model 3 clearly struggling with supply. Even Leaf is back in the game. Not seeing many Taycans though.

We have an X 100D and an E-tron. Our E-tron had a $75000 MSRP but we were given $11k off (several different discounts including Audi and USAA). When combined with the full $7500 federal tax credit and $5000 from Colorado, it only cost us just over $50k.

Our X is better for road trips etc, but the E-tron charges faster, is so much smoother and quieter, and really is a couple levels of luxury higher than Teslas. The E-tron competes with other luxury SUV's in the $75k-$85k price range like the Audi Q8, BMW X6, etc. It's a much nicer interior than a Q5 for example, and accelerates as fast as most of these SUV performance models.

I know the E-tron has been made fun of because of the EPA range, but in reality we are getting a consistent 200 miles on the highway while our Model X gets about 230 miles instead of it's 295 mile EPA rating. Combine that with the 150kw charging all the way to 80% it would actually be a better road trip car if the charging network was better. Tesla still has a major leg up on the network, not necessarily charging speed.

The Model X and S need a serious refresh and updated charging speeds. Hopefully this will be announced on the up coming Battery Day.

We have an X 100D and an E-tron. Our E-tron had a $75000 MSRP but we were given $11k off (several different discounts including Audi and USAA). When combined with the full $7500 federal tax credit and $5000 from Colorado, it only cost us just over $50k.

Our X is better for road trips etc, but the E-tron charges faster, is so much smoother and quieter, and really is a couple levels of luxury higher than Teslas. The E-tron competes with other luxury SUV's in the $75k-$85k price range like the Audi Q8, BMW X6, etc. It's a much nicer interior than a Q5 for example, and accelerates as fast as most of these SUV performance models.

I know the E-tron has been made fun of because of the EPA range, but in reality we are getting a consistent 200 miles on the highway while our Model X gets about 230 miles instead of it's 295 mile EPA rating. Combine that with the 150kw charging all the way to 80% it would actually be a better road trip car if the charging network was better. Tesla still has a major leg up on the network, not necessarily charging speed.

The Model X and S need a serious refresh and updated charging speeds. Hopefully this will be announced on the up coming Battery Day.
Couldn’t agree more.

We don’t have the 5k credit Colorado does, but we still were able to find E-Trons priced below that of a MYP. Plus great leases.

We had an extended test, and found the charging/range combo to be close enough for all but a major road trip given the Audi was superior as a car in general.

What we couldn’t settle for is the Audi is less in “fun” factor, namely acceleration. Like you said, it’s as good as any ICE SUV you’ll find for 60k, but not a 3.5 like Tesla.

The other advantage is the Audi app wasn’t as friendly for things like preconditioning. At least the sales team could not demonstrate it well. Even BMW PHEV seemed better

Reactions: polyphonic54

Yeah I will crosshop the Etron to the Y/X if it offers 3 rows. The biggest factor like you said is the fed tax credit but USAA, Costco etc discounts....

The article you cited is incorrect. 4-door SUVs are not subject to the chicken tax. Many SUVs are imported to the US, including Range Rover, Land Cruiser, Cayenne, and 4Runner, and these are not subject to the tax. 2-door SUVs are subject to the tax.

Cargo vans are subject to the chicken tax, but there are loopholes: Ford would import the Transit Connect as a passenger van and then strip the interiors in the US. Mercedes imports the Sprinter with the drivetrain and other mechanicals removed.

this explains why Mercedes Sprinters are relatively cheap, although mainly commercial. I hope they market and make the EV version family consumer-friendly