Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently, Tesla has some economic disadvantages due to needing to ship their production from USA and paying large import taxes.

When Giga Germany begins production inside the European Union, they should be more price competitive. Europe has huge barriers to entry installed to protect their domestic producers.
Except Norway is not part of the European Union.

Reactions: Neilio
... Europe has huge barriers to entry installed to protect their domestic producers.

It's just funny how Americans always seem to forget the 25% import duties that the US slaps on the import of "trucks". That's the reason why almost all of the foreign manufacturers assemble their SUVs in the US, at least those vehicles destined for the US market. The same goes for "Americans only" rules when it comes to owning TV stations and airlines, providing shipping services etc. etc.
But no, we are being told that for some funny reason the world's most powerful nation only ever ended up with the short end of the stick when it came to trade agreements.

It's just funny how Americans always seem to forget the 25% import duties that the US slaps on the import of "trucks". That's the reason why almost all of the foreign manufacturers assemble their SUVs in the US, at least those vehicles destined for the US market. The same goes for "Americans only" rules when it comes to owning TV stations and airlines, providing shipping services etc. etc.
But no, we are being told that for some funny reason the world's most powerful nation only ever ended up with the short end of the stick when it came to trade agreements.
I didn’t see that stated here, can you link to where you saw that in this thread?

Well... Unfortunately I don't really feel like that one counts...
I do not currently know the exact ownership structure of MG, but I’m pretty sure it’s de facto owned by the Chinese Military Dictatorship Regime. And I personally will never be able to buy something from such a manufacturer. For the very same reason I will also not buy something from Volvo Cars or Polestar even though I’m Swedish. Some seriously surreal stuff…

Apart from that I think the both the interior and exterior design looks somewhat dated. There might also be some battery and charging tech stuff, but I haven’t bothered checking up on that…

I do not currently know the exact ownership structure of MG, but I’m pretty sure it’s de facto owned by the Chinese Military Dictatorship Regime. And I personally will never be able to buy something from such a manufacturer. For the very same reason I will also not buy something from Volvo Cars or Polestar even though I’m Swedish. Some seriously surreal stuff…

Apart from that I think the both the interior and exterior design looks somewhat dated. There might also be some battery and charging tech stuff, but I haven’t bothered checking up on that…
no question about it, MG is owned by the Party

SAIC MOTOR

I get what you are saying but most of your electronic stuff and cars will have Chinese made chips etc

I get what you are saying but most of your electronic stuff and cars will have Chinese made chips etc
I’m aware of that. But when it comes to cars there are car manufacturers that are not owned by a Military Dictatorship Regime. For me it’s extremely important to do whatever I can to absolutely minimize the amount of money I give to Military Dictatorships. I would for example never, ever, ever fly with Emirates, Ethiad or Qatar Airways…

Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

Multiple reasons.
It is "new" on the market. It's not cool to have exactly the same vehicle as neighbours.
It is actually premium (not in terms of autopilot) vehicle with premium feel and build quality. Norway is not poor/average country so premium vehicles are selling well.
Tesla S/X are not premium feel/build quality (by German standards). 3/Y have some rust problems, not to mention paint.

No, the 25% duty doesn't apply to SUVs. It applies to pickup trucks and cargo vans, not SUVs or passenger vans.

>Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

1. It's the new toy in town.
Tesla Model X is cool - but lets face it: built on a 2012 base with cosmetical changes since.

2. Norway is super connected.
The biggest draw back of the etron anywhere else in the world, compared to any Tesla is the lack of the charging network.
This is a huge pain. (Source: test drove etron in Germany, ended up on malfunctioning ionity chargers with a 0.79€ct/kWh price tag.)
Norway negates the Tesla advantage with a mostly open, cheap and discrimination free charging network.
Almost every parking lot is wired and you can charge whatever.
One of the perks if you don't have a car manufacturer running your country I guess.

3. It's an AUDI.
There is a significant amount of people who like expensive Skodas.
It enables them to make the change in steps.
Instead of letting go of all your expectations how car dealers work (getting postcards for your birthday every year and a bottle of car dealer branded champaign with each new car bought) AND your beloved exploding dinosaur juice - they can take it slow.
Keeping the well dressed and groomed sales man for now.

The rust thing is compelling. I didn't realise 3 and y had a problem. That'll be a clear factor in a cold and damp country like Norway.

Charging infrastructure is the big one though. No one in Norway(especially the South) gets range anxiety, it has a great EV infrastructure

Source: test drove etron in Germany, ended up on malfunctioning ionity chargers with a 0.79€ct/kWh price tag
What test drive was this?
They always give you this Audi charger card that works on all chargers and where Ionity price is 0.30€/kWh.
Tarife - Audi DE - DCS

Got the E-Tron for an extensive test drive friday to monday with free charging from an Audi dealership.
I am a good Audi customer though, currently Audi A6 Avant 50 TDI.
I fully understand now why the E-Tron is #1 in Norway, it's great.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlindPass
Currently, Tesla has some economic disadvantages due to needing to ship their production from USA and paying large import taxes.

When Giga Germany begins production inside the European Union, they should be more price competitive. Europe has huge barriers to entry installed to protect their domestic producers.

Like the states then? :D

Either way it's probably a moot point, seeing as Norway is neither one of the United States of America, nor an EU country so it's importing from another market either way.

They always give you this Audi charger card that works on all chargers and where Ionity price is 0.30€/kWh.
Tarife - Audi DE - DCS

Got the E-Tron for an extensive test drive friday to monday with free charging from an Audi dealership.
I am a good Audi customer though, currently Audi A6 Avant 50 TDI.
I fully understand now why the E-Tron is #1 in Norway, it's great.
I was thinking this, surely Audi are one of the Ionity partners that'll give you cheap rates?

It's a bit naughty (also stupid on their part) to not give you that and make you pay the full, crazy expansive, Ionity tariff.

Tell that to "Audi Zentrum Stralsund", no charge card there and the integrated GPS couldn't tell if the charge points are on/offline or blocked.
It worked on the app though.
But I admit that fiddeling with 3rd party apps was kinda offputting.
Combined with the "meh" performance specs...
I'm not that much of a "perfection" car guy, that the (compared to Teslas) way better production quality of the etron would've set off all those parameters enough. But I understand that there are people out there with different priorities and it's cool that they have options now too.

And who knows what they come up with in the next couple of years, it's their first iteration after all.
"Vorsprung durch Technik" !

Tarife - Audi DE - DCS
If you buy an e-tron, you get indeed a free subscription for a year to the Audi tariff. After one year, you need to pay a subscription to get the low IONITY rates. I don't even use superchargers monthly, so I wouldn't even get a card like that for those few times a year I do longer drives.

Reactions: BlindPass