Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is autonomy race framed as Tesla vs Germans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notice the Japanese are largely left out of the conversation - either postively or negatively? The sky-is-falling articles focus on the predicted downfall of the mighty Germans - but typically leave out the Japanese. The Tesla-will-get-hammered-soon articles also focus on MBZ, Audi and sometimes Americans coming to eat Tesla's lunch. But Honda, Toyota and the Koreans seem to be after thoughts in the minds of journalists. Maybe I'm misreading things. Your thoughts?

My guess would be that while there are a lot of Honda and Toyota's on the road they aren't vehicles in the higher end price range that many of the German automakers have that would compete more directly with the S and X (not factoring in the 3s). Also the Toyota Mirai has that hydrogen component to it and I just don't see them being big out here in Calif at all. I see advertisements occasionally in the past months for it, but electric-fueled vehicles have a huge advantage with availability of charging locations being more abundant and especially with ease of at home charging accessable for many. At this point I think it's like trying to reinvent something and think it's a hard sell.

I know Toyota's top guy is heading up some new electric division but from reports he didn't sound all that enthusiastic about it. We've been Toyota owners for at least a decade now and honestly I can't stand the front grill area of the cars now. Our Toyotas have been very reliable but I don't want to be driving around a vehicle I consider ugly. With them approving the current designs I have to wonder about an electric version of them.

Last edited:
Notice the Japanese are largely left out of the conversation - either postively or negatively? The sky-is-falling articles focus on the predicted downfall of the mighty Germans - but typically leave out the Japanese. The Tesla-will-get-hammered-soon articles also focus on MBZ, Audi and sometimes Americans coming to eat Tesla's lunch. But Honda, Toyota and the Koreans seem to be after thoughts in the minds of journalists. Maybe I'm misreading things. Your thoughts?
most articles I've read have construed Google and Uber to be leaders and have discussed them vs car companies such as Tesla. Can you provide links to those conversations that are framing this as Tesla vs Euro? I must be missing something.

Every manufacturer has self-driving car divisions. No one wants to get left behind. Even Ford is doing it.

What Tesla has today isn't as unique as it was (Level 2) when it came out almost 2 years ago.

I'm still waiting for the first car company to hit Level 3 on a mass produced, consumer available car.