Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is car tech so underwhelming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching a Volkswagen commercial (not willingly, it was an ad) and I was wondering why Tesla doesn't take advantage of other car companies lacking tech offerings?

Model S literally has a large tablet in the center console. I guess my question is why do cars insist on connecting to your phone instead of being a phone. Stop offering Bluetooth to stream music and just stream it!! Why should I have to connect my phone to the car? Of all the current cars out now I think Tesla does this the best but they could go further.

Ik this would probably be a bit much for it to be on all models but should be on the high end models or even as a tech package+

As always I was just wondering your thoughts on this?

It's funny, because I think the exact opposite! The future of smartphones is bright indeed. In not too long, everyone will have a smartphone that is pretty much a supercomputer. Why waste time and money developing such advanced technology, when your phone can just sync up and do it for you?

The other strong argument is that hardware advances incredibly fast. A tablet today will be obsolete in just a couple years. Cars on the other hand last longer, so it makes more sense to make them a conduit for a phone than try to compete with hardware we already are replacing every two years.

My car does stream music - Slacker. Making a car into a phone probably wouldn't be too much of a problem but I would think most people don't want the hassle of an extra cell phone. Do I call Joe's car or his phone? Then you have an extra bill to pay, etc, etc. Bluetooth is a simple, elegant solution. That being said, bluetooth works better on my former car, Plug in Prius.

If you are talking about something like GM's On Star, I have been happy with it in my Volt and previous GM cars. I rarely use the OnStar phone minutes, and usually only use the integrated phone to get directions sent to the Navigation system. It is an additional expense for OnStar and the phone minutes. I prefer the Bluetooth connection to my smartphone in my Tesla. I can type directions faster into my Tesla Navigation system than getting them from OnStar. I also don't remember the phone number for my Volt; so, I generally don't phone the Volt to reach my wife. I call her cell phone.

New processors come with hardware virtualization. Why not just have the car make a direct network with your phone and the processor can offload processing to your phone. This way your not limited.

Or take the Samsung approach with their TVs. they offer a modular processor that can be upgraded without replacing the TV.