Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Charging app a bit rudimentary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean the charging portion of the Tesla app for the smart phone and also the portion in the car.

Both show a battery symbol and some markings which I presume are 50,60,70,80 and 90%. But the slider to adjust it is a bit unwieldy and trying to press it and move it does not work half the time. And in many cases you cannot set the final charge level correctly.

Why can't Tesla use a circle with a dot on it that you press and move it on the curcle and the display gives an exact number like 50% 62% etc. This is what a few of my Samsung Galaxy phone apps use Or even a method like setting timer in a smart phone where you can set a number you like. This battery adjustment that Tesla currently uses seems so 1990's and a bit of pain in the rear to use.

I mean the charging portion of the Tesla app for the smart phone and also the portion in the car.

Both show a battery symbol and some markings which I presume are 50,60,70,80 and 90%. But the slider to adjust it is a bit unwieldy and trying to press it and move it does not work half the time. And in many cases you cannot set the final charge level correctly.

Why can't Tesla use a circle with a dot on it that you press and move it on the curcle and the display gives an exact number like 50% 62% etc. This is what a few of my Samsung Galaxy phone apps use Or even a method like setting timer in a smart phone where you can set a number you like. This battery adjustment that Tesla currently uses seems so 1990's and a bit of pain in the rear to use.
The app works but is limited in functionality. There are third party apps and sites which can give you more control. While I would like a few more options, I've managed to get by for three years with the current setup. Usually, I just set the charge limit and leave it. I only change it a couple times a year when I go on a road trip.

Hopefully they will add more functionality in the future.

It's not rudimentary, you are trying to be too detailed. How many marks did your last gas have.
Stop worrying about the battery. Tesla didn't design it to be worried about.
No, I agree with the OP that it can be very frustrating and they've done something pretty wrong with the UI that it is this hard to use.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter whether I'm setting it to 79% or 81% instead of 80%, but when I'm trying to drag the bar and it wants to keep jumping between 70 and 90 without actually letting me get close to 80 then something is wrong.

Reactions: Kamban and Pkmmte
No, I agree with the OP that it can be very frustrating and they've done something pretty wrong with the UI that it is this hard to use.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter whether I'm setting it to 79% or 81% instead of 80%, but when I'm trying to drag the bar and it wants to keep jumping between 70 and 90 without actually letting me get close to 80 then something is wrong.
I'm guessing you only have Apple products? The Android version of the app allows you to set any value, not just 10% increments.

It does sound like the problem may just be with the IOS app. It isn't that you can't set it to any arbitrary value, it's that you can't fine tune the setting. Any attempt to move the bar slightly either gets ignored or jumps up or down ~10%.
I think so. It just feels clumsy. “Grabbing” the adjustment triangle and sliding it doesn’t stay aligned with ones finger. Sometimes I find I cannot even move it.

Reactions: Kamban

Don't "press", your touchscreen isn't capacitive. Use a light touch and slide the marker around. I've never had the screen not register a touch.

Sure, the app could allow you to put in numbers, that'd be more precise, but does it really need to be more precise than within a couple percent? It's not like the car's slider is any more precise. I think it's trying to deemphasize the actual %age.