Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Drag Strip Mode often slower than Plaid mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else on a 2022 Plaid S running into this issue?

I've recently discovered the wonderful launch mode that gets enabled with Drag Strip Mode. If I'm at a light and feeling stupid, I will go into the menu and quickly toggle on Drag Strip Mode, smash both pedals down and some random time later release the brake when the light goes green.
  • In most cases, it says "Preconditioning Battery for optimal performance, 10 minutes+ remaining" and I don't care
  • Sometimes it will say "Both pedals are pressed, power reduced", and I fix this by releasing and re-applying, and it goes away, so I don't care about that either
  • Sometimes it will say "Lowering suspension for optimal something", and in most cases I let it finish, but sometimes not, and I don't care about this either.
The part that bothers me is sometimes the launch is overwhelmingly slow. It almost feels like the car is giving it 50% power, or less. I would then release the accelerator (so the animation on the cluster turns off), and press the accelerator down again, and the car goes batshit crazy at 100%.

Needless to say, launching like a grandma after so much buildup is very anti-climactic. I reported the issue to my service center and the advisor said Drag Strip Mode uses cameras to see if there are people around and adjusts power accordingly. Has anyone heard of this? Any ideas on what might be going on? He asked me to send them a timestamp the next time it fails so they can pull the logs.

tl;dr; Pressing the "go" pedal in Plaid mode is often much faster than "go" pedal in Drag Strip Mode.

1st the whole part about the cameras is complete BS. It amazes me what some service people will come up with.
I have experienced what you are describing. It relates to traction. Dragstrip mode is designed for prep conditions, meaning a traction prepped track. If the car detect wheel slip it pulls power. That's why it feels like it fell on its face.
I find that dragstrip mode is much more sensitive to wheel spin. On the street I don't bother with it anymore unless I've put down some VHT and the street is sticky.

Edit, you might also disable object detection in the safety settings, that can also pull power if there's anything detected up front.

Is anyone else on a 2022 Plaid S running into this issue?

I've recently discovered the wonderful launch mode that gets enabled with Drag Strip Mode. If I'm at a light and feeling stupid, I will go into the menu and quickly toggle on Drag Strip Mode, smash both pedals down and some random time later release the brake when the light goes green.
  • In most cases, it says "Preconditioning Battery for optimal performance, 10 minutes+ remaining" and I don't care
  • Sometimes it will say "Both pedals are pressed, power reduced", and I fix this by releasing and re-applying, and it goes away, so I don't care about that either
  • Sometimes it will say "Lowering suspension for optimal something", and in most cases I let it finish, but sometimes not, and I don't care about this either.
The part that bothers me is sometimes the launch is overwhelmingly slow. It almost feels like the car is giving it 50% power, or less. I would then release the accelerator (so the animation on the cluster turns off), and press the accelerator down again, and the car goes batshit crazy at 100%.

Needless to say, launching like a grandma after so much buildup is very anti-climactic. I reported the issue to my service center and the advisor said Drag Strip Mode uses cameras to see if there are people around and adjusts power accordingly. Has anyone heard of this? Any ideas on what might be going on? He asked me to send them a timestamp the next time it fails so they can pull the logs.

tl;dr; Pressing the "go" pedal in Plaid mode is often much faster than "go" pedal in Drag Strip Mode.
Do you have PPF on your car? PPF on your sensors can cause this.