Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Elon so obsessed about the doors ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Handles sticking out cost in air drag efficiency and thus have a negative effect on the overall efficiency of the vehicle. Same goes with the side view mirrors that TM and several other car manufacturers have been lobbying with NHTSA for years now to change the law that makes them mandatory.

Reactions: deonb
Handles sticking out cost in air drag efficiency and thus have a negative effect on the overall efficiency of the vehicle. Same goes with the side view mirrors that TM and several other car manufacturers have been lobbying with NHTSA for years now to change the law that makes them mandatory.
What would replace side view mirrors?

Yep low profile cameras that feed into your dashboard. Four years back I saw a prototype Model S that had the cameras projecting left and right view on the dash. Pretty cool and much better.
I've seen an S from Colorado at my local super charger which the owner modified by replacing the mirrors with cameras that feed monitors mounted on both sides of the dash. So at least someone has tried it.

I agree. The handles are cool (mine are working) but not cool enough for the negatives to outweigh the positives in my mind.

There are dozens of excellent examples of aerodynamic flush door handles that purely mechanical. My old 1974 Corvette had flush mechanical handles.

So this argument that it's for aero purposes is just not valid. It's a cool whiz bang feature that even after 4-5 years of production we're still seeing problems crop up.

Is Tesla willing to warrant these door handles for the life of the car?

Does it really gives value to the cars? Those retracting door handles and the falcon doors?

Just got my model S and the rear left handle doesn't work most of the time. Simple handles would be reliable as with any other car and it could still look good.

It's not just about the looks. The retractable door handles cuts down on the coefficient of drag which is why they go flush with the doors. The falcon doors are because it makes it easier to put in the car safety seats for the children. (In California, children have to use the safety seats until they are 8 years old or 4'9", and they need to be in the back seat).

Also, you can just bring your car into the service center and they'll replace any faulty handles.

• Informative
Reactions: damucz and msnow
Waiting on the door handles to extend is a pet peeve of mine with the car. I'm in the habit now of double-clicking my keyfob so they're out before I get to the car. Walking up to the car from the rear, which is how I approach it 90% of the time, the rear door handles won't extend. I have to walk up even with the front door to get them to pop out. Then and only then can I open the back door and put the groceries in. I wish Tesla would make the super-dooper-retractable door handles an option, so those of us who prefer a simple and reliable mechanical door handle can have that.

Reactions: Cowby
It's not just about the looks. The retractable door handles cuts down on the coefficient of drag which is why they go flush with the doors. The falcon doors are because it makes it easier to put in the car safety seats for the children. (In California, children have to use the safety seats until they are 8 years old or 4'9", and they need to be in the back seat).

Also, you can just bring your car into the service center and they'll replace any faulty handles.

1. Flush mounted mechanical door handles have been around for decades.

2. I know the handles are covered by warranty. But there's been nagging problems. What about post-warranty?