Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Elon so obsessed about the doors ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Flush mounted mechanical door handles have been around for decades.

2. I know the handles are covered by warranty. But there's been nagging problems. What about post-warranty?

Look, we get it, you don't like the retractable handles... I love them, and judging by the responses here, so does most everyone else... In the world of design you simply cannot please everyone, there are going to be people who don't like even the most popular of design decisions. That's just the way it goes...

I haven't owned my Model S long enough to know whether or not the door handles are going to be an issue, I can say that I haven't had one in the 7+ months I've owned mine... I do have a bit of a pet peeve with the delay in recognizing the FOB when approaching from the rear but it's never bothered me enough to even mention publicly until now...

Jeff

Look, we get it, you don't like the retractable handles... I love them, and judging by the responses here, so does most everyone else... In the world of design you simply cannot please everyone, there are going to be people who don't like even the most popular of design decisions. That's just the way it goes...

I haven't owned my Model S long enough to know whether or not the door handles are going to be an issue, I can say that I haven't had one in the 7+ months I've owned mine... I do have a bit of a pet peeve with the delay in recognizing the FOB when approaching from the rear but it's never bothered me enough to even mention publicly until now...

Jeff

Jeff,

You're misinterpreting what I said. I like the handles. They are cool. I like the way they extend to greet me. My comments have zero to do with likeability or coolness factor. I thought I made that clear in my statement.

My concern is with long-term function. My concern is that the door handle problems have persisted for too long. My concern is that if I keep my car past warranty will I be faced with a $2,000 repair bill. I understand new cars have teething pains and issues - but after 4 years I would expect the door handles to be bulletproof.

Jeff,

You're misinterpreting what I said. I like the handles. They are cool. I like the way they extend to greet me. My comments have zero to do with likeability or coolness factor. I thought I made that clear in my statement.

My concern is with long-term function. My concern is that the door handle problems have persisted for too long. My concern is that if I keep my car past warranty will I be faced with a $2,000 repair bill. I understand new cars have teething pains and issues - but after 4 years I would expect the door handles to be bulletproof.
I have an add-on question to James, would these be covered under Extended Warranty?

Waiting on the door handles to extend is a pet peeve of mine with the car. I'm in the habit now of double-clicking my keyfob so they're out before I get to the car. Walking up to the car from the rear, which is how I approach it 90% of the time, the rear door handles won't extend. I have to walk up even with the front door to get them to pop out. Then and only then can I open the back door and put the groceries in. I wish Tesla would make the super-dooper-retractable door handles an option, so those of us who prefer a simple and reliable mechanical door handle can have that.
@Electricfan - You know you could just nudge the handle a bit and it will pop out if it didn't automatically.
@Evbwcaer - what makes you think that handles that are fixed can be as aerodynamic as retracting types. As @mshuang pointed out, anything protruding from the door will negatively impact the coeff of drag. That's just simple physics.

However I like Model X's self presenting doors better. No dirty or hot handles to touch :)

Waiting on the door handles to extend is a pet peeve of mine with the car. I'm in the habit now of double-clicking my keyfob so they're out before I get to the car. Walking up to the car from the rear, which is how I approach it 90% of the time, the rear door handles won't extend. I have to walk up even with the front door to get them to pop out. Then and only then can I open the back door and put the groceries in. I wish Tesla would make the super-dooper-retractable door handles an option, so those of us who prefer a simple and reliable mechanical door handle can have that.

To avoid the dance, when possible, I plan my parking and/or approach such. :mad:

I love the handles, but just like you, I only wish they had sensors in both directions. When you are approaching the car, the distance from door at which the handles present is certainly more when you approach from the front than when you approach from the rear. The distance from front is perfect for my taste. The distance from rear is too short.

@Electricfan - You know you could just nudge the handle a bit and it will pop out if it didn't automatically.
@Evbwcaer - what makes you think that handles that are fixed can be as aerodynamic as retracting types. As @mshuang pointed out, anything protruding from the door will negatively impact the coeff of drag. That's just simple physics.

However I like Model X's self presenting doors better. No dirty or hot handles to touch :)
I think @Evbwcaer was hinting that the handles can be flush and aerodynamic without needing retractable motors. I don't think he meant they had to be fixed.

I remember a few such cars back in the 80's and @James Anders pointed out the 1974 Corvette handles.

@JPUConn
pointed out the Model 3's handle mechanism. It's flush and doesn't have the complexity of the Model S door handles.They wouldn't protrude or affect the coefficient of drag...or have the mechanical issues caused by auto-retracting handles.

Last edited:
Reactions: xkwizit
On the brightside I believe they do have the doors figured out now with the Model 3.

In my opinion the Model X automatically opening doors was absolutely the worst idea. It pretty much turns the driver into "Hodor" as a result of having to constantly keep the doors from automatically opening when the driver doesn't want it to. Or at least a bunch of people complained about that.

The Model S doors were only slightly bad with the worst thing being how damn hot they get.

On the brightside I believe they do have the doors figured out now with the Model 3.

In my opinion the Model X automatically opening doors was absolutely the worst idea. It pretty much turns the driver into "Hodor" as a result of having to constantly keep the doors from automatically opening when the driver doesn't want it to. Or at least a bunch of people complained about that.

The Model S doors were only slightly bad with the worst thing being how damn hot they get.

Insert fob into the same pocket you keep your cellphone. Problem solved! Heh.

I beg to disagree. After getting the Model X and getting used to its automated doors, Model S feels archaic. Like just now its 104F outside and the Model S handles were blazing hot to touch. I was so wishing I had the Model X with me today which would auto present the doors.

And yes some people including me had problems with the front door latches..mainly the software in the door latches was buggy..but nothing that cannot be overcome and definitely does not cut into the benefits.

I haven't experienced the X door for real yet, but looking at videos, I think my biggest issue would be that there is no "handle" to hold the door from outside. Like if you have to pull or push the door - which I imagine you must have to do often - there is nothing to hold on to. Holding the door panel edge, or the window glass feels clumsy to me.

Also, when you open the door manually on other cars and get in, the whole exercise is pretty fluid. When the door opens automatically, or upon push of the handle, it seems to me it will inevitably add an odd pause to the whole flow.

So, I like the S doors way better. Again, before having really experienced an X door :D

I haven't experienced the X door for real yet, but looking at videos, I think my biggest issue would be that there is no "handle" to hold the door from outside. Like if you have to pull or push the door - which I imagine you must have to do often - there is nothing to hold on to. Holding the door panel edge, or the window glass feels clumsy to me.

Also, when you open the door manually on other cars and get it, the whole exercise is pretty fluid. When the door opens automatically, or upon push of the handle, it seems to me it will inevitably add an odd pause to the whole flow.

So, I like the S doors way better. Again, before having really experienced an X door :D
Well you don't need a handle to push the door from the outside and in those instances where you need to pull it, the door panel edge works really fine. Even on S, the door panel edge is more handy to pull the door than the handles and cleaner as you are touching the inside portion of the door.

OK I understand now it's because of the air friction.

So now I have the rear left door that will not open. This is only happening when it's more than 30Celcius here, at cooler temperatures the handle always work. Tesla can't replace the sensor under warranty because the sensor is not always defective.

Anybody got something similar ?

Not if you're talking about the rear door handles. They will not extend even if I push on them. I took it to the service center for this, and they told me that's the way they're supposed to work.

I used to have a 2013 and don't remember it being like this, but I'm not really sure.

My big problem is what appears to be a design flaw "time bomb" in the handle. Too much motion stress right to a contact on a switch. There is a great video including a fix:

Otherwise, I say the presenting handles are a signature of the Model S, so love them until there is a 1st(/2nd) party or 3rd party alternative (after all they're replaceable modules).