Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is FSD not transferable to your next Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it looks like that car has JUST the capability of running the software, not the software itself. If you are purchasing the car from Tesla, the FSD software will probably be extra. I believe that if you're doing a private sale, the FSD could come with the car if the previous owner had purchased the FSD.

Think of it this way - your computer at home has the "capability" of running Photoshop 15 (or whatever the latest version of Photoshop is). You just have to buy the software. If you buy a new computer that is capable of running certain software, you will probably have to buy the software separately. If you're buying the computer from an individual and the software is already installed, then you're good to go. When Tesla purchases a used Tesla, they have the option of removing all the additional software that was with the purchased car. They then turn around and offer the car back to the public with the optional ability for the new owner to re-purchase the software.

And remember, the FSD software is just a promise. It will not transform your vehicle into a car that will drive itself, at least not at this point in time.

FYI, I bought the promise and am happy I did.

What other business would sell someone something once and let them transfer it for life, without some other hook in making money on it?

All the software I currently buy via 'Google Play Store' is transferable to any/all android devices I buy in the future

All the software I buy via 'Apple Store' is transferable to any/all iOS and Mac devices I buy in the future

These cars are the phones on wheels after all, shouldn't FSD be transferable to any new Tesla you buy as well?

Yes, it looks like that car has JUST the capability of running the software, not the software itself. If you are purchasing the car from Tesla, the FSD software will probably be extra. I believe that if you're doing a private sale, the FSD could come with the car if the previous owner had purchased the FSD.

Think of it this way - your computer at home has the "capability" of running Photoshop 15 (or whatever the latest version of Photoshop is). You just have to buy the software. If you buy a new computer that is capable of running certain software, you will probably have to buy the software separately. If you're buying the computer from an individual and the software is already installed, then you're good to go. When Tesla purchases a used Tesla, they have the option of removing all the additional software that was with the purchased car. They then turn around and offer the car back to the public with the optional ability for the new owner to re-purchase the software.

That isn't the way Tesla words things. "Full Self Driving Capability" means it has the $10k software option enabled.

Reactions: IsthataTesl.a?
All the software I currently buy via 'Google Play Store' is transferable to any/all android devices I buy in the future

All the software I buy via 'Apple Store' is transferable to any/all iOS and Mac devices I buy in the future

These cars are the phones on wheels after all, shouldn't FSD be transferable to any new Tesla you buy as well?

Only if they dont update it and the license is for "the version that was on the car when you bought it", which is NOT what anyone would want at all.

Huh, all the used cars list "Full Self Driving Capability" now. It's very confusing because no car actually has Full Self Driving even after the purchase of the option. I thought the actual thing they're selling now is theoretical "Full Self Driving Capability."
Does this have the $10k FSD option or not?View attachment 608589

Just HW3 - that gives it the capability.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

No, when you add the $10k option to a car they add the "Full Self Driving Capability" line that costs $10k:

With AP:
S-AP.png

With FSD:
S-FSD.png

That is even how they list it on the Autopilot page:

FSD Capability.png

I think you're thinking of Full Self Driving Capability capability which all HW2+ cars have.
They used to sell Full Self Driving but now they only sell Full Self Driving Capability so technically older used Teslas are being downgraded to only have capability instead of the (subject to software validation) ability that they were sold with when new. It is confusing!

I’m wrestling with this right now. I’ve ordered a plaid S, but giving up the FSD from my 3 is making me have second thoughts. Wish they allowed it to be removed from the 3 and transferred to the S as It’s the only thing holding me back. The S will have less functionality unless I dump another 10k into it. Hmmm

I feel like it would be wise to allow people to transfer. It encourages loyalty to the brand, and it’s still being removed from the old vehicle so that owner would need to purchase anyway.

Locking it to a car also means they don't have to give you access to more than you paid for. If a future car has a much more advanced system that costs Tesla more and is sold for more; they could be out a lot of money letting you transfer the prior lower priced and performing system (rights) to the new and higher one.

It also limits people buying a used car form 3rd party that is no longer in the Tesla eco system at a discount and transfer that FSD to the new car and then (eventually) sell that car again but without FDS.

Believe me I want it to be transferable as well; but I can see tons of reasons they don't. Tesla's compromise to this problem is to offer the (upcoming) subscription service instead.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok and MP3Mike
I’m wrestling with this right now. I’ve ordered a plaid S, but giving up the FSD from my 3 is making me have second thoughts. Wish they allowed it to be removed from the 3 and transferred to the S as It’s the only thing holding me back. The S will have less functionality unless I dump another 10k into it. Hmmm

I feel like it would be wise to allow people to transfer. It encourages loyalty to the brand, and it’s still being removed from the old vehicle so that owner would need to purchase anyway.

I agree. It’d keep people in the brand. Instead of buying a Ford or VW EV and losing your FSD I’d be more likely to stay with Tesla and keep using my FSD (whatever that ends up being someday.)

Reactions: KArnold and goRt
If you're considering ordering a 100k car, and you won't buy it if your FSD doesn't transfer, why not go to a showroom and tell a sales person exactly that? The worst that happens is they report back to management that people are annoyed. The best that happens is you get a discount or free transfer.

If you're considering ordering a 100k car, and you won't buy it if your FSD doesn't transfer, why not go to a showroom and tell a sales person exactly that? The worst that happens is they report back to management that people are annoyed. The best that happens is you get a discount or free transfer.

The worst that happens is they just don't care

Agreed. But what level I have now is quite enjoyable. If / when I get what's currently available in beta will do 90% of what I'd want anyway.

Basic autopilot which is free is quite enjoyable, FSD doesnt really give you much else, only auto lane change but that is still barely working.

FSD beta is cool and all, but its also pretty bad, it would be the equalent of riding along a very young person who never drove a car before, wont exactly let you relax. Sure its getting better, but it wont be at the point where u can actually relax until so far in the future that ur already on your 5th+ Tesla

Reactions: 2101Guy

you actually think anything in the last sentence would ever happen?!