Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is FSD not transferable to your next Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot more people will jump at the subscription option if it's reasonably priced.

Yes and no. I very much disagree with this being made a subscription. By design subscription services are never a good financial choice for the customer (same with leasing). Sure, many don't care and will jump at a seemingly small amount of money which eventually in the long term will cost them much more.

I have a ton of experience in the software industry, and I'm part owner of a company that sells licensed software to end users. In my experience, the market loves the SaaS model that is priced off usage and commitment. It significantly lowers the barrier of entry and expands your potential market. A lot of people will see the 8-10k price tag and just immediately say no thanks. I think a lot more people will jump at the subscription option if it's reasonably priced.
how much would you think that would cost each month, $150.00-$200.00 or more, not sure people would pay that much, on top of a car payment too. I'm not sure there are more Tesla's than computers for that market.

I am in the same situation. I have a PM3 from Sept 2018, but I am not going to pay 8k to add to a car I may only have for maybe 2-3 more years. I will keep this car until I have enough money to buy it on the next one, however long that takes. To me that is a lose-lose situation for all. I lose, and Tesla loses potential revenue for each person in this same situation.

it's more of a once bitten twice shy. I paid extra for the basic AP a year later after purchase, Tesla lowered the price of the car considerably, then made the AP standard for new buyers. I am fine with it now that my Tesla stock basically paid for this car, but I am not going to put myself in another situation like that. The paint problems is bad enough to put up with when paying that much for a car, and no one likes to feel burned.:eek: To me if I did, I feel they would then come out with some new feature or component that would only be good on newly purchased cars of something, or drop the price to 6k the last week of 2020 to boost revenue.o_O

Yes and no. I very much disagree with this being made a subscription. By design subscription services are never a good financial choice for the customer (same with leasing).

Agree with you on leasing/subscription services, though on the case of FSD, I would be all over a short term subscription if there was no mandatory long-term commitment of I had a long road trip planned...but not confident that'll be an option. A subscription-only model without an option to outright buy would be unfortunate.

I know that many people are software licensing savvy in this thread, and I'm of the opinion that buying a significant software purchase that ties it to the hardware is painful. It definitely should be per-account.

And if it were per-account, I would buy it. The problem that Tesla has right now is that they're producing all cars with the functionality and the only thing the purchase does is enable the features. I find that extremely annoying, to serve nothing but the bottom line income of Tesla. The irony is that if they reversed this decision I feel it would bring a lot of people into not only the Tesla ecosystem but more greatly encourage more car purchases and more FSD upgrades.

Are you listening Tesla?

Reactions: petit_bateau
$200 a month would be much better than $10,000 for those of us that swap every ~3 years or so. There is (has not been anyway) any real value to re-sale or trade-in or heaven forbid an accident. $200-$300 a month would be quite compelling for some of us.

Maybe I’m a bit jaded having bought the first generation AP1 abs AP2 and paid for FSD with absolutely no return on that purchase. I am hopeful I’ll get at least some use of the pre-paid FSD on our Raven HW3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: pilotSteve
I dont think I will live long enough to see any sort of robo taxi with level 5 self driving anywhere around me, and I am 53 and hope to be alive at least another 20-25 years.

One thing I should have added when I posted this, is the fact that i purchased FSD anyway, and am not sorry I did. I purchased it, not for its "potential" but for what it was able to do when I purchased it (and to get the new hardware, which was hardware 3.. my car came with hw 2.5).

I "hoped" that there might be more features to it, but knew I a person who suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out) on tech connected to tech, so for me, it was about "what it can do now" and "getting the new hardware to enable "whatever they add to it later".

Robotaxis never entered into the equation for me, because there is absolutely ZERO chance I would ever do such a thing with my car, even if its available, and even if my car is "just sitting in my garage when it could be earning me money". If A fleet of robotaxis ends up occuring, any car I drive will not be part of such a fleet, and right now, I plan on having at least 1 tesla in my garage (or a car based on their technology if tesla doesnt make it), for the forseeable future.

So I am not a FSD "hater" I bought it, and actually like it for what I use it for (which is driving on freeways in traffic). I would buy it again, although at 10k its a harder sale than the total of 7k I paid for what I have now, which is 5k for EAP and 2k for FSD during the fire sale in march of 2019 that those here during that time surely remember.

Reactions: GZDongles
one thing to remember is that FSD raises the resale value of your car (at least per Elon), so you might get some of it back. :p.

But does it really? And does adding FSD to your car after purchase will be seen as value for our insurance ? Let's say I bought my car for 53k$, 15 months laters added a 10k$ option, and two months after that, I get hit by a truck and my car is totaled. Will my insurance write me a 53k$ check, or a 63k$ one?

That's the part that makes me afraid of spilling that much money, if I was ever to purchase FSD. And if FSD value is not accounted for by you insurance, THEN the transfert licence model makes sense.

It's known as a perpetual license model and it's the way the majority of retail software has been licensed for decades. If you went to Best Buy a decade ago and grabbed a retail copy of Office 2010, you were buying an expensive perpetual license that could be transferred an unlimited number of times. Microsoft had no hook in making money on the transfer because you just paid the maximum price for a retail copy.

Actually, they add one hook, and it was when they were releasing new versions. You would have to buy a full new copy of Office 2013. Assuming Tesla want to transfert license, they would have to transfert the version you bought from the old car to the new one. Ad yes, eventually Office 2010 would not be compatible with your new PC. So in that sense, SaaS does makes more sense for everyone.

I am in the same situation. I have a PM3 from Sept 2018, but I am not going to pay 8k to add to a car I may only have for maybe 2-3 more years. I will keep this car until I have enough money to buy it on the next one, however long that takes. To me that is a lose-lose situation for all. I lose, and Tesla loses potential revenue for each person in this same situation.

And that were the subscription/rental model can comes in, and capture that revenue that would otherwise be left on the table. I'm on the same situation as you. I'll buy it in the next car because then I can put FSD price on the car financing. Right now I am not in a position to do a one time purchase of 13 000$CAD for this, even less as a purchase on my credit card. I would have to take a personal loan to be able to pay for this.

But a subscription / rental is a win-win, because it will allows me to have that feature right now (if I can afford it) or at lest hook me up to buy it on the next car when I'll inevitably get that FSD rental on my next big road trip. Win for me, win for Tesla wallet.

Reactions: Led Jetson
I'm guessing there will be a minimum term for any monthly plan that gets rolled out. 6-month minimum term or something like that. I don't see them allowing such flexibility of using it a month here or there and dumping for all other months. They want predictable monthly recurring revenue, not totally spotty unpredictable revenue that is not predictable.

Reactions: lnsh
I'm guessing there will be a minimum term for any monthly plan that gets rolled out. 6-month minimum term or something like that. I don't see them allowing such flexibility of using it a month here or there and dumping for all other months. They want predictable monthly recurring revenue, not totally spotty unpredictable revenue that is not predictable.
It might be like other software subscriptions. There would be a price per month and then a discount for buying 6 months, 1 year, etc. Either way, it is better for Tesla's operation budgets to have subscriptions versus one time purchases.

$200 a month would be much better than $10,000 for those of us that swap every ~3 years or so. There is (has not been anyway) any real value to re-sale or trade-in or heaven forbid an accident. $200-$300 a month would be quite compelling for some of us.

$200 monthly as an annuity is in the ballpark of $50k, I'd rather buy another car than pay that much for FSD.