Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is FSD not transferable to your next Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla will likely transition to a two tier system. The purchase option will be insanely expensive and intended for people looking to make a business out of putting their car on the robotaxi network. The other will be a monthly subscription system that will only be for personal use and will cost significantly less.

Those of you who already bought for personal use may feel a bit burned by how cheap the monthly service will be, but when you sell the car perhaps you'll be able to sell it to some fleet owner or entrepreneur and get most/all of your money back.

I wish it was.

Tesla should run a promotion. For example. If they want to increase sales. Run the promotion of: buy a model s and transfer your FSD for free.

or charge a FSD transfer fee. I’d gladly pay it.

They have done discounts before for the X and S to drive end of quarter sales. Same with free Supercharging for "life", which I have. See what they do in December. Now they can claim they are giving you "free" use of a $10,000 AP system.

I'd like to see Tesla offer a low cost self driving package (when it's finished and reliable) for people who need it to increase their mobility such as older folks, people with disabilities, people with vision problems, other medical conditions that make driving challenging, etc. That would be a huge plus for safety on the roads and a boon for society in general.

I'd like to see Tesla offer a low cost self driving package (when it's finished and reliable) for people who need it to increase their mobility such as older folks, people with disabilities, people with vision problems, other medical conditions that make driving challenging, etc. That would be a huge plus for safety on the roads and a boon for society in general.

Google was doing this years ago. See this video. And servicing these communities is why Waymo (a Google company) is beta testing its service in the burbs of the Phoenix with its large senior population.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
If Tesla DID allow FSD to be transferred, why wouldn't they charge more? Also, if you owned four Tesla, you don't get FSD 4x unless you paid for it 4x.

It stays with the car unless they change their policy or unless Tesla owns/takes possession of the car and then they can do what they want because "Dad says."

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Not going to happen but if the subscription was tied to your user account, and to say your primary phone so you could use FSD regardless of the Tesla you were in as long as your phone was paired to that car and (obviously) only in use by that one device / person at one time.

Can dream.

Not going to happen but if the subscription was tied to your user account, and to say your primary phone so you could use FSD regardless of the Tesla you were in as long as your phone was paired to that car and (obviously) only in use by that one device / person at one time.

Can dream.
Being able to transfer subscription is being considered. There was a Twitter exchange between "Tesla Raj" and Elon Musk about this when he announced the price increase.

Sometimes they don’t. Sometimes they go. People have seen their specific VIN without it, when it was when they had it. Does it make a difference if sold with it new vs added after purchase by original owner? Shouldn’t, but it could. There have also been problems with insurance claims on totaled cars where it was added after the fact vs included when purchased new, even when documented.

Very interesting discussion.

One issue not touched on is that all we're really purchasing is a "promise" that it will be finished, but it is not a finished product at this point. We all went into this with that in mind.

Yes, some of the features work now and I use and enjoy them in limited circumstances, but what I bought was FULL SELF DRIVING, not partial driving assistance. I'm willing to participate in that development process, but what happens when the hardware/sensors become insufficient to run the completed FSD software? Will Tesla replace my hardware & sensors to fulfill the promise I purchased? Anyone know if Tesla has committed to this like they did with replacing HW2 for HW3? Is there somewhere I can go to find this commitment so I can get a screen shot/pdf/etc. of that for my records?

This is concerning considering the track record of Tesla honoring their promises.

No, those cars sold with HW3 have HW3, not the software *enabled*
Huh, all the used cars list "Full Self Driving Capability" now. It's very confusing because no car actually has Full Self Driving even after the purchase of the option. I thought the actual thing they're selling now is theoretical "Full Self Driving Capability."
Does this have the $10k FSD option or not?
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 8.47.24 AM.png

Huh, all the used cars list "Full Self Driving Capability" now. It's very confusing because no car actually has Full Self Driving even after the purchase of the option. I thought the actual thing they're selling now is theoretical "Full Self Driving Capability."
Does this have the $10k FSD option or not?View attachment 608589
NOT