Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is FSD not transferable to your next Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having FSD in my MY is nice, but as Tesla admits, it's not the final product. I think that until they reach the point of having the software in it's final form, with true FSD as they promised, they should allow all the "guinea pigs" to transfer the software to a new vehicle.

I think it’s just so absurd to spend money on a completely unfinished software feature. By the time it gets “good”, so many other auto companies and tech companies will be highly competitive and this mythical $40k price point for FULL self driving will be total bullshit. The price isn’t going to keep dramatically increasing and anyone who thinks it will really has no clue about economy of scale. The price will go up as it remains largely niche but will hit a massive inflection point when it gets out of beta for a while and as the competition heats up

Below is FSD ("Full Self-Driving Capability") as described on the Tesla website in 2016. It was a $3k option on top of the $5k optional EAP.

2016FSD.jpg

Ahhhh the infamous advertising. Sold me on it in 2017 with the vehicle driving around without anyone steering. Kinda get a chuckle going back and reading the wording.

Really wish it was transferable... I mean come the F.. on. It's clear the vehicles will not be capable of driving around with the current cameras and hardware installed. I mean it would be cheaper to just start over new and sell someone a new vehicle that's capable without spending endless time and resources of how to make the old systems work. Just mind boggling... Elon will not accept defeat

May I introduce you to the FSD Beta video thread, where "current cameras and hardware installed" are able to drive around on their own! FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers) :rolleyes:o_O

I am aware of these threads. Neat thread.

Back to my point there is absolutely no evidence that the current vehicles are capable of FSD. So in return we should be given the opportunity to have our FSD that we purchased be transferable.

Please show me evidence without any human intervention while operating under all scenarios. There is no evidence that the vehicles can successfully navigate all scenarios without human intervention. That's why it's called a BETA!

Last edited:
"Why is FSD not transferable to your next Tesla?"

Because Tesla has two types of current customers:

The ones that can be screwed over repeatedly and keep coming back to buy another car with a smile, aka the customers they like.

The ones who have a limited number of times they can be screwed over, aka the customers they don't like.

Their current belief seems to be that if they treat the latter category like crap, we'll be replaced by people who aren't customers yet, and those replacements may be the type of people in the first category. If not, repeat until they are.

Their current belief seems to be that if they treat the latter category like crap, we'll be replaced by people who aren't customers yet, and those replacements may be the type of people in the first category. If not, repeat until they are.

Yeah, flat out, as more "normal" customers come around, they aren't going to put up with the bullshit and empty promises. This is a problem of Tesla's making by promising something they couldn't have possibly delivered.

You can transfer your FSD....... The transfer fee is $10,000
LOL. "Hello, I purchased FSD on my current Tesla for $5,000. I would like to trade-in my Tesla and for a new one, would it be possible to transfer it to my new Tesla?" "Yes, the transfer fee is $10,000, plus the lowball offer we gave you on the trade."

Tesla treats FSD like a feature like you get in any car. For example, if you buy the navigation package or upgraded wheels on your Chevy Camaro those items stay with the car and they depreciate in value along with the car. The problem with FSD is that it doesn't full self drive or anything close yet. Furthermore, folks are unclear if it ever will during the lifetime of ownership of the car. Therefore, IMO, the feature should have never been sold like it is. It should be an optional monthly subscription based offer where folks can decide whether they want to pay/fund the ongoing development of this feature and cancel at any time. This puts the pressure back on the manufacturer to deliver actual value in the software or people stop paying. Tesla has a massive revenue stream opportunity but they need to deliver. Using a subscription decouples the FSD feature set from the car, which makes it more viable for people who lease or don't keep cars for more than 3-5 years. It also simplifies the problem with determining the resale value of the software.

Tesla treats FSD like a feature like you get in any car. For example, if you buy the navigation package or upgraded wheels on your Chevy Camaro those items stay with the car and they depreciate in value along with the car. The problem with FSD is that it doesn't full self drive or anything close yet. Furthermore, folks are unclear if it ever will during the lifetime of ownership of the car. Therefore, IMO, the feature should have never been sold like it is. It should be an optional monthly subscription based offer where folks can decide whether they want to pay/fund the ongoing development of this feature and cancel at any time. This puts the pressure back on the manufacturer to deliver actual value in the software or people stop paying. Tesla has a massive revenue stream opportunity but they need to deliver. Using a subscription decouples the FSD feature set from the car, which makes it more viable for people who lease or don't keep cars for more than 3-5 years. It also simplifies the problem with determining the resale value of the software.

However, software subscriptions are the work of satan, so there's that to consider as well.

However, software subscriptions are the work of satan, so there's that to consider as well.
Yeah, they can definitely be annoying but at least you can choose to subscribe or not based on if it is worth it. For example, during this pandemic when a lot of folks drive a lot less we could unsubscribe if desired. The other factor is subscription cost. If Tesla wanted $100 a month for this software it is a no go for me as well. I am in at $20-25 per month max to play around with the software as a form of entertainment. Anyone else think $10k is pretty steep considering it doesn't full self drive?

I see Cadillac Super Cruise can now change lanes automatically. It looks like it is included for the first 3 years and then after that they require a Connected Service plan that costs about $15-$30 depending on the features.

Reactions: boonedocks
Of course to get that "free" three years you have to pay for the hardware and possibly a higher trim level that you don't want.
True, I think all the fancy tech will come at a premium for a while but will eventually trickle down to the lower trims just like we have seen with safety features such as blind spot monitoring, backup cameras, lane departure, automatic braking/alerts, rear cross traffic alert, rain sensing wipers. My cheap Mazda does all this stuff by default. IMO, once the EV competition heats up over the next few years the cost for the AI based features will come way down. I am surprised Tesla keeps increasing the cost of FSD. I wasn’t interested at $3k, $5k, $7500 or $10k. I mean they keep raising the price like it is doing something much better than it did at the previous price. I am not sure if they raised the price because they need to charge more because the take rate is low or what but how much higher can you charge for this software? I mean the goal is to build a $25-30K EV and then charge what, $10k,$15k,$20k for software that can’t deliver L5 autonomy? I mean once you work your way through the Tesla fan base with the extra disposable income to play with this software how many people are left that will pay $10k to babysit their car like a hawk as it attempts to drive as good as you already do. I would actually prefer if they took the some of FSD hardware out of the build and put that money into better interior materials or just lower the cost of the vehicle altogether.