Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is interior lighting so dim!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to fire the engineer who designed the interior lighting for the Model 3. The dome lights in particular are terribly dim - every other car I’ve owned has dome lights 10x brighter. When I pickup older family members, I am forced to use my cell phone light to help them into the car/find the seat belt.

Ditto for the center console light and trunk lights.

Any ideas why Tesla made such poor choices here? Bright LEDs are relatively cheap so I highly doubt it’s a cost thing...

I prefer the more subdued lighting. I find myself turning off the interior lights in cars where they're excessively bright, since it blinds me at night - especially manufacturers that like to use cool white LEDs. I suppose if you have ailing eyes, the situation might be different.

Reactions: outdoors
Tesla needs to fire the engineer who designed the interior lighting for the Model 3. The dome lights in particular are terribly dim
I prefer the more subdued lighting. I find myself turning off the interior lights in cars where they're excessively bright, since it blinds me at night
Human sensitivity to light varies a lot by individual. My spouse adjusts her notebook computer screen brightness to levels that cause me to squint.

It would be nice to be able to adjust the car’s interior lighting level. But both my spouse and I find the Model 3 dome light to be acceptable.

Human sensitivity to light varies a lot by individual. My spouse adjusts her notebook computer screen brightness to levels that cause me to squint.

It would be nice to be able to adjust the car’s interior lighting level. But both my spouse and I find the Model 3 dome light to be acceptable.

My husband and I joke about that. He's color blind and barely sees red light. I, on the other hand, see light like dogs smell. I guess that's a good trait for a theatrical lighting designer. ;)

Has anyone done some additional lights under the display? Can’t stand how dark the spot to put the phones are. I’m thinking a little USB powered LED strip light under there maybe? I really want to tear the whole center console up and make pass throughs or even relocat the cigarette lighter spot

C6817B0B-8BEE-4816-A142-4F81D9EDA903.jpeg
I added LED lights and of course used electric blue.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Do tell more about the lights!

The footwell lights were upgraded to Blue LEDs from Abstract Ocean, center Console lights are from Luminoodle (Amazon). They are a longer strip of LED’s than you need, but you can tuck the extra in your storage space below where it plugs in to your USB port. I ran them around the perimeter of the trapezoid lid and the LED strip has an adhesive backing for an easy install. Then I added 2 USB lights from RPM Tesla for the back seat USB ports. They all work well together and just looks awesome at night.

I will probably replace the trunk lights with the ones from abstract ocean, because the trunk lights are useless. I hope someone eventually comes out with an aftermarket solution for the two tiny spotlights in the front cabin, because they are worthless.

Reactions: rlb4