Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is interior lighting so dim!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way I'd run blue interior lights at night ... kills your night vision and in general isn't good for your eyes. My preference would be red or amber. Blue sure looks nice for shows, though, especially with the white seats. :)

Some passengers may find these very handy :p

upload_2019-1-16_14-25-32.png

Tesla needs to fire the engineer who designed the interior lighting for the Model 3. The dome lights in particular are terribly dim - every other car I’ve owned has dome lights 10x brighter. When I pickup older family members, I am forced to use my cell phone light to help them into the car/find the seat belt.

Ditto for the center console light and trunk lights.

Any ideas why Tesla made such poor choices here? Bright LEDs are relatively cheap so I highly doubt it’s a cost thing...

I totally agree - the same holds good for Model X. While driving you have to fumble to get one of the dome lights on - which at best provides feeble lighting when all 4 lights are on. Forget trying to read anything from the driver or front passenger seat.
I cannot believe a 100K car will not have map lights (I would call them font utility lights).
Also as someone pointed out - forget trying to turn them off without getting distracted and taking your eyes off the road. This poses a safety risk as well.

DIY LED for under the display.
Mount by double sided tape.
They plug into the existing socket behind the right center console panel.

View attachment 369509

I love this solution. Is there a way to use the 12v in the center console to run 2 more of these under each front seat for ambient floor lighting?

Also, It looks like the dual sunglass console organizer you have in the video looks like its sold out on your site...any plans to make more? I cant find any other alternatives for 2 pairs of sunglasses like yours and it is perfect!!

The footwell lights were upgraded to Blue LEDs from Abstract Ocean, center Console lights are from Luminoodle (Amazon). They are a longer strip of LED’s than you need, but you can tuck the extra in your storage space below where it plugs in to your USB port. I ran them around the perimeter of the trapezoid lid and the LED strip has an adhesive backing for an easy install. Then I added 2 USB lights from RPM Tesla for the back seat USB ports. They all work well together and just looks awesome at night.

Are the usb lights always on? Do they turn off when the car locks?