Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is more motors better for the average truck consumer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
three motors provide the possibility of multiple gear ratios (electronic and physical) based on load, speed & battery capacity.

The average Joe isn't the market for this truck, the market is to the fleet buyer who understands total lifecycle costs and understands tax incentives as they relate to their profitabilty. As far as moving parts, even with the 3 motors, most Tesla's only have ~300 moving parts, verses ~7000 in a regular truck. Also the heat/cold cycle of a gas/diesel engine rapidly destroys plastics, rubber and fluids, Teslas don't go through these extreme heat/cold cycles like a regular car. I have owned 3 Tesla's and logged close to 200K miles, with only minor stuff to actually fix (tires, windshield (stone strike), and a couple $14 microswitches for the door handles). Only the original car had the gallon paint can motor replaced, and this was done erroneously (no cost to me), due to a wire that was later discovered to be wiggling (computer sensed a short and shut down the motor to protect the battery) under heavy load, which was later fixed with a retaining bracket on later builds. As far as insurance the main cost is not the car, its the damage to occupants (how many die, or are permanently disabled and get file the max claim payout (example: $500K for death, $300K for hospitalization, $80K for the car is a pittance, and with Stainless steel and no paint, the parking lot fender bender just got really cheap, once you add in the fact that this car has 360 degree surveillance cameras, most liability will be on the other party if they are at fault and try and lie their way out (you can read about multiple cases of this on TMC).

Here is an example of the crap that a fleet buyer might see from, lets say Ford for nuisance maintenance items. I think *BG = Big Gouge ;)
ted-britt-ford-jpg.493944

Probably don't have the manufacturing diversity yet and if they can sell the premium truck at a premium price, that makes wall street happy. I doubt there is a mechanical reason, but you never know, maybe one motor can't handle all those AMPS when combined with the load this thing can pull in the triple motor setup with 14K towing.
Dude. YOU are what makes me go through all the chaff of messageboards!
Thanks.

I am the average Joe, and yes i do understand the long term cost benefits of the Cyber vs ICE. Long term cost savings is the number one reason i ordered the Cyber. I'm also guessing the deprecation on the Cyber is going to be among the lowest ever for a vehicle. I'm betting it's going to be a win-win-win on many levels.

I've been in business for 30 years and only had 3 trucks at a time for my crew. Maybe not a fleet but .... Liability wise, it's my under 25 years old guys who may find it hard, not to go fast if they could. I'm geared to the worst case scenario type of thinking, so buying the fastest trucks for young men to drive, is a scary thought especially in a court room if my guy hurt someone...
You are a business owner, and the perfect candidate, you have a 3 vehicle work fleet.
You can put the trucks in valet mode, and it will restrict acceleration and top speed limited to 70 MPH. Additionally you can control speed in Traffic Aware Cruise Control. Also you can log into your phone at any time and see where the truck is located and how fast it is going. Additionally you could record all the movements of the truck daily by using some pretty simple software that records the trucks location.

This car is in valet mode
While in valet mode, the following changes are in effect:

• Top speed is limited to 70 MPH
  • Power and acceleration are limited to 25% (80KW)
  • The glove box and frunk are locked
  • Access to certain vehicle settings is disabled
  • Access to personal information is restricted
This car is being monitored
Upon return, details of all trips made, speed and power usage will be displayed to the owner. The owner can also track the vehicle's speed and location at all times.

No more side jobs and side trips charged the company. No goofing off and taking a nap when the boss thinks you are working a job site, no more speeding recklessly without someone knowing about it.

Will the purchaser be able to do modifications to suit the users needs? Utility cap a Tommy lift, Ladder rack That cover on the Truck may not work if you want to cover items that are taller at the tailgate area. For very heavy items will the door in the bed hold up under the weight. Loading items using a fork lift will you be able to push the pallet in the bed without messing up the door? How much weight will the Tailgate support? Show these Trucks working Mr Musk. Prove that they are better than ICE trucks.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
1 ~500 lbs ATV - check
1 ~170 lbs Boy from California - check
1 ~20 lbs Set of protective leathers, boots, helmet - check

My guess is it's about 700 lbs. But it really depends on the hinge they are using, it could be resting on the bumper too... hard to tell from that video and this is a prototype, so it could change.

three motors provide the possibility of multiple gear ratios (electronic and physical) based on load, speed & battery capacity.

I don't think "gear ratios" is relevant with primarily linear torque curves in well designed electric motors, they perform just fine without gears, particularly so if they only have a limited operating speed as they would in a CT, rather than say a Roadster . (That's why the Taycan has a 2 speed)

I can agree that mixing the motor type used (induction or PM) can help both efficiency and high power density at a lower overall cost. Obviously you'd run the PM for cruising.

As for the reason for multiple motors, unlike a ICE, I'd say there is not much cost difference between having multiple lower power motors and mechanically interconnecting fewer larger ones. There wouldn't be a significant cost increase from motor windings, cabling, nor power electronics as the overall load would remain the same if the kW output didn't increase. Further, a smaller motors should have better cooling etc, which is the main limiting factor to peak performance (motor overtemp). You can increase any electric motors output by reducing it's heating with negligible side-effects.

I'd expect the main reason as to why they add the trimotor to the largest battery is simply because only the largest battery can provide the current draw required for fast acceleration and high peak output. I assume the 70-85% of the added cost of the tri-motor is just the battery. So why not increase the performance as well seeing the largest battery allows the current draw without degradation?

I don't think "gear ratios" is relevant with primarily linear torque curves in well designed electric motors, they perform just fine without gears, particularly so if they only have a limited operating speed as they would in a CT, rather than say a Roadster . (That's why the Taycan has a 2 speed)

I can agree that mixing the motor type used (induction or PM) can help both efficiency and high power density at a lower overall cost. Obviously you'd run the PM for cruising.

As for the reason for multiple motors, unlike a ICE, I'd say there is not much cost difference between having multiple lower power motors and mechanically interconnecting fewer larger ones. There wouldn't be a significant cost increase from motor windings, cabling, nor power electronics as the overall load would remain the same if the kW output didn't increase. Further, a smaller motors should have better cooling etc, which is the main limiting factor to peak performance (motor overtemp). You can increase any electric motors output by reducing it's heating with negligible side-effects.

I'd expect the main reason as to why they add the trimotor to the largest battery is simply because only the largest battery can provide the current draw required for fast acceleration and high peak output. I assume the 70-85% of the added cost of the tri-motor is just the battery. So why not increase the performance as well seeing the largest battery allows the current draw without degradation?
"yeah..what he said."

• Love
Reactions: SpaceCash
Can the tailgate be opened with the cover closed? If you mount anything to the cover you will have to take it off when you open the cover to lower the tailgate every time . jf you have to leave the cover open because you have a long tall item where do you put the long items such as ladders that were attached to the cover.

Can the tailgate be opened with the cover closed? If you mount anything to the cover you will have to take it off when you open the cover to lower the tailgate every time . jf you have to leave the cover open because you have a long tall item where do you put the long items such as ladders that were attached to the cover.
Presumably the cover will have more positions than just open and closed. But of course no one will know until it comes out.