Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is more motors better for the average truck consumer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"This is just wrong!" and why I dislike threads where mods don't heard the cat people.
the title should at least remain somewhat relevant in each post...it shouldn't decay into a where the ladder goes.
We all need to practice restraint and if we want to discuss something different than the title start another thread.

Reactions: JBee
I think OPs point is, that same battery could go into a single motor for a lot of range and less cost.

it’s a good point

The single motor RWD model is a small market segment (just look at the pre-orders). Tesla isn't going to put their more expensive 200 kWh pack into a single motor vehicle IMO. Virtually everyone who has the money to pony up for the 200 kWh pack isn't going to want just one motor, hence it's not offered.

"This is just wrong!" and why I dislike threads where mods don't heard the cat people.
the title should at least remain somewhat relevant in each post...it shouldn't decay into a where the ladder goes.
We all need to practice restraint and if we want to discuss something different than the title start another thread.

I prefer the label ADHD, but sorry man, this truck it is sooooo badddd, I can't wait to mod it into an urban zombie apocalypse
assault vehicle and the Triple is better for that. (back on topic for you).

The single motor RWD model is a small market segment (just look at the pre-orders). Tesla isn't going to put their more expensive 200 kWh pack into a single motor vehicle IMO. Virtually everyone who has the money to pony up for the 200 kWh pack isn't going to want just one motor, hence it's not offered.
More correctly short range is a small market segment. If there was a 500 mile single motor it would be much more popular (than it currently is) although a 500 miles dual motor would be more popular than the single motor because people like all wheel drive. (And because failure in one motor doesn't incapacitate the vehicle).

1 motor or 2 (or 3)
2 SHOULD BE THE DEFAULT PURCHASE BECAUSE OF THE ADDITIONAL SAFETY BENEFIT (3 If you got serious money).
Speed/power in the right hands/mind is a safety improvement, like when you are merging on the interstate and the asshat next to you slows down to let you in but actually starts closing you out, and there ain't much of a merge lane left...
All wheel driving makes you stick to/on the road when the weather gets a little squirrely, or that rare occasional time where you hit a slick spot..
And if one motor fails the other can get you to a safe spot instead of stranding you on the Interstate or in Deliveranceville, GA.
AM I RIGHT? (Rhetorical)
So in closing
Purchase
1 motor if you are only using it for short neighborhood runs
2 motors for safety
3 if money ain't a consideration, or you constantly travel on long trips, or want to giggle when you hit the gas.

All wheel driving makes you stick to/on the road when the weather gets a little squirrely, or that rare occasional time where you hit a slick spot..
As long as you don't care about stopping or sliding, then it's having the proper tires that saves you. All wheel drive helps you start, but it doesn't help you stop or provide additional cornering power.

90BD1CE5-439D-43B3-A7CA-2B8EB3EB4D70.jpeg
Out of all the teslas, the trimotor Cybertruck has the lowest cost per miles of range.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, with the mass of the double-stacked battery pack, the most efficient and cost-effective way to move that around is with three motors.

I agree, I'm convinced that there is a market for a LR RWD offering a longer range.

There are for example a lot of contractors doing some building maintenance or inspections.
They don't have too much heavy load to carry, like construction workers would do,
but their territory can be about the size of their own state, or may be half of it.
So range would be more critical than load capacity.

There is the same issue currently with the Model 3 for which a LR RWD would be the perfect car
if you live in the southern part of the country. Tesla don't make it available, only the SR RWD,
may be to reduce the delivery complexity or to make a little bit more profit.

The Model Y however is available both as LR RWD and LR AWD.
But this might change when, and if, the Model Y SR+ RWD will be build?

So those contractors even need a truck given this statement?

the best reason I can think of is ... tank turns?
Methinks Rivian made a major mistake on that. Yes, it can do a zero-radius "tank" turn. Word & observation is: doing so is very hard on the drivetrain & tires, doing it on pavement _will_ cause damage, and touting a "feature" that can quickly cause 5 digit repair costs is a very bad marketing move. If they're bragging about something that mechanically risky, what else are they risking and not telling us about?

That _plus_ the goofy headlights (again, if they're so obvious with that, what other comparable bad decisions aren't obvious?) just evaporates my interest in Rivian.

"They were so excited that they could do it that they failed to ask whether they should."

Methinks Rivian made a major mistake on that. Yes, it can do a zero-radius "tank" turn. Word & observation is: doing so is very hard on the drivetrain & tires, doing it on pavement _will_ cause damage, and touting a "feature" that can quickly cause 5 digit repair costs is a very bad marketing move. If they're bragging about something that mechanically risky, what else are they risking and not telling us about?

That _plus_ the goofy headlights (again, if they're so obvious with that, what other comparable bad decisions aren't obvious?) just evaporates my interest in Rivian.

"They were so excited that they could do it that they failed to ask whether they should."
I can think of 5 or 6 times in the last year a tank turn would have been very nice. All but one was on snow/ice the other was on a technical off road section On dirt i drive to sheep hunt, got to a section that washed out and had to back out for ~2 miles... not sure tank turn would have helped me there but I would have a better chance then not having it. There would be very low risk to drivetrain/tires when used occasionally on packed snow, ice, or loose dirt.

Reactions: SpaceCash
I can think of 5 or 6 times in the last year a tank turn would have been very nice.
I'm not knocking that it would be a highly desirable feature on rare occasion, used sparingly & correctly in compatible environments.

I'm concerned that enough idjits will try it often enough to show off in unfavorable conditions ("hold muh beer" on dry pavement) that memes of self-destructing Rivians will be common. Rivian had to quickly follow up that ad with "don't try this at home" disclaimers that few heard.

I'm not knocking that it would be a highly desirable feature on rare occasion, used sparingly & correctly in compatible environments.

I'm concerned that enough idjits will try it often enough to show off in unfavorable conditions ("hold muh beer" on dry pavement) that memes of self-destructing Rivians will be common. Rivian had to quickly follow up that ad with "don't try this at home" disclaimers that few heard.
You could say the same thing about the The turn assist function on my 200 series Land Cruiser, where it locks the rear inside wheel to shorten up the turn radius, off road only. I’ve never heard of a report of catastrophic failure as result of inappropriate use on inappropriate conditions on the Land Cruiser forums.

It may very well be that the dual motor/long range configuration will be coming from the Plaid configuration, while the standard range will come with the rear clip from the standard configuration.

Get to chose one or the other. Not able to take just the motors, but not the battery, nor get the bigger battery without the dual motors.

You could say the same thing about the The turn assist function on my 200 series Land Cruiser, where it locks the rear inside wheel to shorten up the turn radius, off road only. I’ve never heard of a report of catastrophic failure as result of inappropriate use on inappropriate conditions on the Land Cruiser forums.
Contrast the Rivian ad demoing not just doing the questionable move, but doing so at high speed for prolonged period. You probably used the "rear inside lock" for less than 90* at low speed; Rivian demoed repeated fast donuts.