Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is more motors better for the average truck consumer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get why more motors are faster and have more pulling power, and I get where the real Tesla fans really like more speed and more power and are willing to pay for it. But what i don't understand is what does the longer range option have to do with the all wheel drive and more motors, as they are only offered together.

I would think that most average Joe truck driver (especially as a business owners) don't need, or even want the fastest version of a truck. Super fast acceleration, and a lot more moving parts is more of a liability than a benefit from a business stand point. Higher liability Insurance and more things to break...

So I'm puzzled as to why Tesla isn't offering a longer range (bigger battery) in a single motor version. Is there some mechanical reason that the long range (500 miles) has to have 3 motors?

I get why more motors are faster and have more pulling power, and I get where the real Tesla fans really like more speed and more power and are willing to pay for it. But what i don't understand is what does the longer range option have to do with the all wheel drive and more motors, as they are only offered together.

I would think that most average Joe truck driver (especially as a business owners) don't need, or even want the fastest version of a truck. Super fast acceleration, and a lot more moving parts is more of a liability than a benefit from a business stand point. Higher liability Insurance and more things to break...

So I'm puzzled as to why Tesla isn't offering a longer range (bigger battery) in a single motor version. Is there some mechanical reason that the long range (500 miles) has to have 3 motors?
First off AWD is safer in all driving situations. As for acceleration I’m sure there will be a chill mode. And given the (theoretical) extra weight of the big battery vs small battery I’m guessing a one motor big battery would have almost nothing for a payload. As for your more moving parts argument, electric motors are simple and bomb proof reliable, pretty much forever so not an issue to have more.

As for the “average joe” truck owner not wanting speed or capacity. If it is someone who does not want the speed and capacity they probably also don’t want the in your face bold standout style of the CT, so wouldn’t buy any of the models.

So I'm puzzled as to why Tesla isn't offering a longer range (bigger battery) in a single motor version.
Is there some mechanical reason that the long range (500 miles) has to have 3 motors?
I agree, I'm convinced that there is a market for a LR RWD offering a longer range.

There are for example a lot of contractors doing some building maintenance or inspections.
They don't have too much heavy load to carry, like construction workers would do,
but their territory can be about the size of their own state, or may be half of it.
So range would be more critical than load capacity.

There is the same issue currently with the Model 3 for which a LR RWD would be the perfect car
if you live in the southern part of the country. Tesla don't make it available, only the SR RWD,
may be to reduce the delivery complexity or to make a little bit more profit.

The Model Y however is available both as LR RWD and LR AWD.
But this might change when, and if, the Model Y SR+ RWD will be build?

But what i don't understand is what does the longer range option have to do with the all wheel drive and more motors, as they are only offered together.

three motors provide the possibility of multiple gear ratios (electronic and physical) based on load, speed & battery capacity.

The average Joe isn't the market for this truck, the market is to the fleet buyer who understands total lifecycle costs and understands tax incentives as they relate to their profitabilty. As far as moving parts, even with the 3 motors, most Tesla's only have ~300 moving parts, verses ~7000 in a regular truck. Also the heat/cold cycle of a gas/diesel engine rapidly destroys plastics, rubber and fluids, Teslas don't go through these extreme heat/cold cycles like a regular car. I have owned 3 Tesla's and logged close to 200K miles, with only minor stuff to actually fix (tires, windshield (stone strike), and a couple $14 microswitches for the door handles). Only the original car had the gallon paint can motor replaced, and this was done erroneously (no cost to me), due to a wire that was later discovered to be wiggling (computer sensed a short and shut down the motor to protect the battery) under heavy load, which was later fixed with a retaining bracket on later builds. As far as insurance the main cost is not the car, its the damage to occupants (how many die, or are permanently disabled and get file the max claim payout (example: $500K for death, $300K for hospitalization, $80K for the car is a pittance, and with Stainless steel and no paint, the parking lot fender bender just got really cheap, once you add in the fact that this car has 360 degree surveillance cameras, most liability will be on the other party if they are at fault and try and lie their way out (you can read about multiple cases of this on TMC).

Here is an example of the crap that a fleet buyer might see from, lets say Ford for nuisance maintenance items. I think *BG = Big Gouge ;)
ted-britt-ford-jpg.493944

Probably don't have the manufacturing diversity yet and if they can sell the premium truck at a premium price, that makes wall street happy. I doubt there is a mechanical reason, but you never know, maybe one motor can't handle all those AMPS when combined with the load this thing can pull in the triple motor setup with 14K towing.

Last edited:
" Read my Lips"...
Tesla will offer a long range (500+mile) dual motor option after they get the initial performance buyers their truck. They did the same for the p100d MX to the 100d MX. Im guessing 5 to 6 tmonths after initial release of the TRI motor performance. That's really the one I want, but depending on the actual range of the dual, I might just be happy with 350++ (hopefully)

three motors provide the possibility of multiple gear ratios (electronic and physical) based on load, speed & battery capacity.

The average Joe isn't the market for this truck, the market is to the fleet buyer who understands total lifecycle costs and understands tax incentives as they relate to their profitabilty. As far as moving parts, even with the 3 motors, most Tesla's only have ~300 moving parts, verses ~7000 in a regular truck. Also the heat/cold cycle of a gas/diesel engine rapidly destroys plastics, rubber and fluids, Teslas don't go through these extreme heat/cold cycles like a regular car. I have owned 3 Tesla's and logged close to 200K miles, with only minor stuff to actually fix (tires, windshield (stone strike), and a couple $14 microswitches for the door handles). Only the original car had the gallon paint can motor replaced, and this was done erroneously (no cost to me), due to a wire that was later discovered to be wiggling (computer sensed a short and shut down the motor to protect the battery) under heavy load, which was later fixed with a retaining bracket on later builds. As far as insurance the main cost is not the car, its the damage to occupants (how many die, or are permanently disabled and get file the max claim payout (example: $500K for death, $300K for hospitalization, $80K for the car is a pittance, and with Stainless steel and no paint, the parking lot fender bender just got really cheap, once you add in the fact that this car has 360 degree surveillance cameras, most liability will be on the other party if they are at fault and try and lie their way out (you can read about multiple cases of this on TMC).

Here is an example of the crap that a fleet buyer might see from, lets say Ford for nuisance maintenance items. I think *BG = Big Gouge ;)
ted-britt-ford-jpg.493944

I am the average Joe, and yes i do understand the long term cost benefits of the Cyber vs ICE. Long term cost savings is the number one reason i ordered the Cyber. I'm also guessing the deprecation on the Cyber is going to be among the lowest ever for a vehicle. I'm betting it's going to be a win-win-win on many levels.

I've been in business for 30 years and only had 3 trucks at a time for my crew. Maybe not a fleet but .... Liability wise, it's my under 25 years old guys who may find it hard, not to go fast if they could. I'm geared to the worst case scenario type of thinking, so buying the fastest trucks for young men to drive, is a scary thought especially in a court room if my guy hurt someone...

I agree, I'm convinced that there is a market for a LR RWD offering a longer range.

There are for example a lot of contractors doing some building maintenance or inspections.
They don't have too much heavy load to carry, like construction workers would do,
but their territory can be about the size of their own state, or may be half of it.
So range would be more critical than load capacity.

There is the same issue currently with the Model 3 for which a LR RWD would be the perfect car
if you live in the southern part of the country. Tesla don't make it available, only the SR RWD,
may be to reduce the delivery complexity or to make a little bit more profit.

The Model Y however is available both as LR RWD and LR AWD.
But this might change when, and if, the Model Y SR+ RWD will be build?

Exactly, all my tools probably weight less than 600 lbs but my territory is quit large just yesterday i drove 400 miles to do one hour of work. In my area 90% of the pickup's never see more that a few hundred pounds of load. Most are just used for light stuff that need the room, like hauling trash, yard supplies, the occasional moving of furniture, outdoor sporting equipment, some towing and the annual shopping for a Christmas tree.

I guess it's like you say with more demand than supply, whatever is simpler and most profitable wins. I'm thinking maybe buying $10,000 of Tesla stock now, may pay for a Cyber in full buy the time the RWD comes out. Boy wouldn't that be nice LOL. Buy The Dip

The CT is not of much interest to me, I have a 2005 Sierra slowly rusting away in my driveway because I sometimes need a truck but don't like daily driving one. Point being I haven't paid much attention.

That said could the difference be the standard version uses a less efficient higher torque motor but then in AWD you can use more efficient motors for the multiples? Isn't that what they did with the S and X

Efficiency may be a factor, but I doubt it would be very significant. It's probably that the tri motor isn't that much more expensive than producing 2 (presumably) larger motors. But I agree that they will ultimately offer a long range without tri motor, but the price reduction may not be what everyone is hoping for. The batteries remain the most expensive part for EVs. Some day we will get 200kwh in the same physical size as current 100kwh packs. Then we may see trucks with 1,000 mile range which would be more useful for the folks who tow large campers or boats.

Efficiency may be a factor, but I doubt it would be very significant. It's probably that the tri motor isn't that much more expensive than producing 2 (presumably) larger motors. But I agree that they will ultimately offer a long range without tri motor, but the price reduction may not be what everyone is hoping for. The batteries remain the most expensive part for EVs. Some day we will get 200kwh in the same physical size as current 100kwh packs. Then we may see trucks with 1,000 mile range which would be more useful for the folks who tow large campers or boats.

I don't know what the cost would be, but i'd imagine the up-charge would be under $10,000. I would rather buy RWD with the bigger battery For $50,000, than lower range AWD two motor, version for $50,000.

Dual front motors will allow them to taylor performance to the surface.
On a hard surface tires need to be able to differentiate speeds while turning. Depending on differential type this can lead to one front and one rear tire spinning.
Tesla may have decided they can manage performance on varying surfaces better with three motors than two though it will require a lot of software work.

That would be nice and they would likely sell a bunch of long range RWD trucks. $50k for a truck that gets 500 miles of range would be a game changer.

Yep, And it would mostly make EV's more attractive for the folks that drive the most. Getting EVs in the hands of 30,000 miles/year plus drivers would make a much bigger impact on reducing carbon emissions... If reducing carbon emissions is one of the main goals of Tesla.

There are probably two reasons. The first is production efficiency--one less variation to build. The second is that adding the extra motor doesn't cost a lot in comparison to the cost delta of the larger battery, so it's somewhat similar to throwing in another motor for free.

There are three kinds of people who will go for that configuration: Those who want more range. Those who want the towing capacity. Those who want the speed. Only the first group will have people in it that don't care about the extra power. I have no idea what the split between those groups is.

" Read my Lips"...
Tesla will offer a long range (500+mile) dual motor option after they get the initial performance buyers their truck. They did the same for the p100d MX to the 100d MX. Im guessing 5 to 6 tmonths after initial release of the TRI motor performance. That's really the one I want, but depending on the actual range of the dual, I might just be happy with 350++ (hopefully)
You beat me to it, completely agree.

For me I see the CT as a daily driver replacing my Tundra, all I need is the dual motor but will be getting the tri motor for the longer range