Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla asking for payment for SC'ing when I have free SC miles left?

Beej4

Aug 14, 2020
Cambridge
So after a long while, I made a long distance trip today. I stopped at the new SC station at Rugby services (very nice by the way!) and after my charging was complete, I was presented with a message on screen telling me SC was unavailable and to add a payment method.

Tesla_Scharging_message.jpeg

I checked my Tesla account as I had 1000 SC miles when I got the car last September and as you can see from the attached image, I've only charged the car once last September and and I have 336kWh left of my free 'miles'. I was able to charge up today twice (as per image), even as Tesla sent me an email asking for payment.

I don't understand why I'm being asked to pay since I have these unused 'miles' left.
Tesla_Scharging_account.png

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

NewbieT

Aug 16, 2019
North West
Free miles expire after 6 months.

Reactions: CMc1

Beej4

Aug 14, 2020
Cambridge
Oh...
That's a shafting, especially as we've all been stuck at home!

Oh well, I'm guessing Tesla doesn't want to extend this, even as a good will gesture.

Jan 20, 2020
Crawley
if nothing is changed from March 2020, even you have free miles, is required a card for payment. your card will be used after you finish/expiry your free miles.

AndrewGR

Oct 18, 2019
Oxfordshire, UK
I rushed out to my nearest SuC to use some of my free miles on the last day of the 6 months but got billed for them. Tried to get refunded by Tesla, got promises, but never got my money back. Wasn’t worth the effort of pursuing any further- better use of time than struggling to communicate with Tesla’s non- Customer Service system.

SR-Plus

Sep 2, 2020
United Kingdom
I rushed out to my nearest SuC to use some of my free miles on the last day of the 6 months but got billed for them. Tried to get refunded by Tesla, got promises, but never got my money back. Wasn’t worth the effort of pursuing any further- better use of time than struggling to communicate with Tesla’s non- Customer Service system.
I’ll be in a similar situation in a few days time when my free miles expire. But sounds like it’s not worth the hassle. Easier to plug it in at home overnight on my cheap rate.

Fly.guy

Feb 11, 2019
UK
you need a C Card on the account. if you rack up idle time $ then I believe it will bill it to your card
I have a 2016 with ‘unlimited free supercharging’ and have never been asked for cc details against which to bill idle time fees.

Maybe I have unlimited free idle time as well 😂

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911

Beej4

Aug 14, 2020
Cambridge
Thanks for all the replies. I've added my cc details now.
I was completely ignorant to the fact that these free SC miles only lasted 6 months.
I assumed they had no 'use-by' date!
Oh well, my home charging takes care of 95%+ of usage, SC for long trips only.

Reactions: Mperkins28

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
I have a 2016 with ‘unlimited free supercharging’ and have never been asked for cc details against which to bill idle time fees.

Maybe I have unlimited free idle time as well 😂
If you do happen to run into an idle time period, they will (probably) waive the first offence, but ask for payment details on pain of switching off your supercharging. Happened to me recently, ironically while I was test driving a M3 and got stuck in traffic coming back to the SC.

GeorgeSymonds

Mar 16, 2018
UK
The other thing to note if you get the message because of an unpaid bill, just adding a credit card doesn’t cure the problem, you have to go into the unpaid sessions and manually approve payment to clear the block.

roadcred

Aug 23, 2019
UK
I really dont understand the 6 months. When I look in my loot box the date they expire is after 12 months? Mine was a 24/9/20 purchase.

Sparkeur

Feb 23, 2020
Nouvelle Aquitaine
Several people have been caught out by this. The last day is the day before the expiry date.. they expire at 0:01 on the expiry date not 23:59 as would be the normal reading.
Yes, I was caught out on that as well. Can you by any chance point to where Tesla state the time of expiry on the last day because I've looked and can't find it?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC