Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla asking for payment for SC'ing when I have free SC miles left?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a long while, I made a long distance trip today. I stopped at the new SC station at Rugby services (very nice by the way!) and after my charging was complete, I was presented with a message on screen telling me SC was unavailable and to add a payment method.

Tesla_Scharging_message.jpeg

I checked my Tesla account as I had 1000 SC miles when I got the car last September and as you can see from the attached image, I've only charged the car once last September and and I have 336kWh left of my free 'miles'. I was able to charge up today twice (as per image), even as Tesla sent me an email asking for payment.

I don't understand why I'm being asked to pay since I have these unused 'miles' left.
Tesla_Scharging_account.png

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

I rushed out to my nearest SuC to use some of my free miles on the last day of the 6 months but got billed for them. Tried to get refunded by Tesla, got promises, but never got my money back. Wasn’t worth the effort of pursuing any further- better use of time than struggling to communicate with Tesla’s non- Customer Service system.

I rushed out to my nearest SuC to use some of my free miles on the last day of the 6 months but got billed for them. Tried to get refunded by Tesla, got promises, but never got my money back. Wasn’t worth the effort of pursuing any further- better use of time than struggling to communicate with Tesla’s non- Customer Service system.
I’ll be in a similar situation in a few days time when my free miles expire. But sounds like it’s not worth the hassle. Easier to plug it in at home overnight on my cheap rate.

Thanks for all the replies. I've added my cc details now.
I was completely ignorant to the fact that these free SC miles only lasted 6 months.
I assumed they had no 'use-by' date!
Oh well, my home charging takes care of 95%+ of usage, SC for long trips only.

Reactions: Mperkins28
I have a 2016 with ‘unlimited free supercharging’ and have never been asked for cc details against which to bill idle time fees.

Maybe I have unlimited free idle time as well 😂
If you do happen to run into an idle time period, they will (probably) waive the first offence, but ask for payment details on pain of switching off your supercharging. Happened to me recently, ironically while I was test driving a M3 and got stuck in traffic coming back to the SC.