TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why is Tesla building Model 3 “inventory” cars?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Spidey423, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Spidey423

Spidey423 Member

If Tesla has 100,000’s of orders for model 3’s, why are they building and incentivizing inventory cars. If I was someone who ordered a vehicle I’d be pretty upset.

Tesla has apparently made a lot of inventory cars unmatched to custom orders that the automaker is now trying to move by the end of the quarter.

• Like x 1
  2. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

I suspect they are parts constrained on some key part or parts for the AWD versions. So they need to keep the assembly lines full in the meantime. If that means producing extra RWD models then so be it. They won’t have a hard time finding buyers I don’t think.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. JoshPA

JoshPA Member

You have capacity to build XX cars in the final 7-10 days of the Q.

But you can't get them in the hands of anyone outside of YY miles from the factory.

If you want to boost deliveries, build something you think people will buy and see what happens.

Yes, we would prefer they build cars for people who have been waiting for 2 years, but what can you do.

4. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Can stop screwing with people and offering unlimited charging.

5. lolder

lolder Member

The supercharging was originally meant only for trips, not everyday use and should have had a yearly limit in the first place so cabs and cross country limos didn't abuse it. Tesla figured adding $500 to the purchase price would cover it for the life of the car. They were off 2 to 1 as it should have been $1000. They failed to understand how penurious some owners of $100k cars would be.

• Like x 1
  6. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Yes. There should be a amount limit, like 1000kw a year. And distance restriction from your registered address. Only get to use the free credits if you’re 100 miles away from your registered home address. Otherwise pay per use.

Damn Tesla. Who’s running your supercharging department? I need to be hired as a consultant.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  7. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

There is no limit to charging. But now buyers have to pay for what they use -- as it should be to avoid abuse.

• Like x 1
  8. ghostbusta

ghostbusta Member

It’s not just RWD inventory cars. I rejected my delivery and got matched up with an inventory car with identical specs, just had to be shipped to my local SC!

9. Spidey423

Spidey423 Member

A lot of the cars are duel motor/performance versions. GM found out the hard way by producing. Vehicles people don’t want.

10. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Unlimited free
    umlimited free charging

11. boriszima

boriszima Member

More cars more profits. Does suck for those that are waiting for theirs. Good overall for the company

12. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

4 probable possibilities.

1.) Shortage on parts for AWD / P.
    Build RWD or let line be idle.

2.) Parts exist for AWD / P but RWD can be built at a higher ratio to meet production guidance.

3.) Margin is higher on a higher cluster of RWD sales vs a smaller cluster of AWD sales.

4.) RWD still made to order but extra is made due to batch production for more efficient yields.