Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla installing a meter for SRECs and does it effect my NEM agreement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Tesla sent me a notice yesterday they'd be here to "service" my system with no details as to why. I contacted them through chat and they said it was to install a meter for SRECs...which I know they now keep.

But why do they need to install a separate meter? They already have the data through their inverter(doesn't apply to my first system which is an SE inverter).

Secondly, since they said it only applies to the second system, does this mean I can apply for and keep the SRECs for my first system? Not that I'm going to be leaving anything on the table at true-up.

Thirdly, does this effect my NEM agreement in any way? Am I losing anything other the SRECs that I was never going to get anyways?

At any rate, tech came and then left because for some reason he wanted to install the CT transmitter in my load panel because he said he couldn't get power in the TEG. There was no space left because I have Emporia energy monitors installed and he was trying to make it fit and it was already tight.

I think the Neurio RGM is really for Tesla's benefits if they are going to export solar outside of California since we do not get SREC anyway. The tech came this morning and put one in my inverter, it was too hot outside so I did not stay and watch what was done. He declared all completed and was going to drive off then I checked my app, nothing worked and only showed some solar going to the grid, nothing to my house and nothing to my PWs. I told him and he stayed for another 30 minutes or so to fix it.

Guys, be careful. Don't let Tesla install additional equipment that is not needed for yourself into your panel! I had a tech come out as well to my property and after I found out that the new meter was to measure to claim SRECs I questioned him about that. After I found out that Tesla had sneaked the SREC exhibit into my purchase agreement without letting me know, I told him to leave my property and have a supervisor contact me to revisit who really owns the SRECs now that I have found out they are doing shady business. You don't need this additional meter. It's just for Tesla's sake of claiming the SRECS. I suggest to just kick the tech of your property. This is America after all. The fact that Tesla is installing additional meters, yet not disclosing their purpose to customers, is another shady business practice. I have lost all my respect for how Tesla does business, including their business practices and their customer service.

Guys, be careful. Don't let Tesla install additional equipment that is not needed for yourself into your panel! I had a tech come out as well to my property and after I found out that the new meter was to measure to claim SRECs I questioned him about that. After I found out that Tesla had sneaked the SREC exhibit into my purchase agreement without letting me know, I told him to leave my property and have a supervisor contact me to revisit who really owns the SRECs now that I have found out they are doing shady business. You don't need this additional meter. It's just for Tesla's sake of claiming the SRECS. I suggest to just kick the tech of your property. This is America after all. The fact that Tesla is installing additional meters, yet not disclosing their purpose to customers, is another shady business practice. I have lost all my respect for how Tesla does business, including their business practices and their customer service.
It’s not shady. It’s been in the standard contract for awhile. Make sure you read your contract before you sign it.

If you don’t like the contract don’t sign it. If you don’t understand it, don’t sign it until you do.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I think the Neurio RGM is really for Tesla's benefits if they are going to export solar outside of California since we do not get SREC anyway. The tech came this morning and put one in my inverter, it was too hot outside so I did not stay and watch what was done. He declared all completed and was going to drive off then I checked my app, nothing worked and only showed some solar going to the grid, nothing to my house and nothing to my PWs. I told him and he stayed for another 30 minutes or so to fix it.
Did he indicate what caused the issue?

At any rate, tech came and then left because for some reason he wanted to install the CT transmitter in my load panel because he said he couldn't get power in the TEG. There was no space left because I have Emporia energy monitors installed and he was trying to make it fit and it was already tight.
@sorka did they ever come back to install the SREC meter on your system? They scheduled me for this "mandatory maintenance" out of the blue on my 3 year old system in San Jose, CA.

It’s not shady. It’s been in the standard contract for awhile. Make sure you read your contract before you sign it.

If you don’t like the contract don’t sign it. If you don’t understand it, don’t sign it until you do.
Where would I see this in the purchase agreement contract? Tesla wants to come and install an SREC meter on my system but I don't see that agreed to anywhere in my signed documentation.

Where would I see this in the purchase agreement contract? Tesla wants to come and install an SREC meter on my system but I don't see that agreed to anywhere in my signed documentation.
It's in my "Solar Purchase Agreement" on page 10 as "Schedule B". That is still available to me on the Tesla website.

The price sheet, page 4 of the same document for me, includes a rebate credit for SRECs, so Tesla has given me the financial benefit of the SRECs they have claimed on my behalf. It's not much in California.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
It's in my "Solar Purchase Agreement" on page 10 as "Schedule B". That is still available to me on the Tesla website.

The price sheet, page 4 of the same document for me, includes a rebate credit for SRECs, so Tesla has given me the financial benefit of the SRECs they have claimed on my behalf. It's not much in California.
Interesting. My purchase contract has no Schedule B. Surely that's an error on Tesla's end?

Reactions: evermore
@sorka did they ever come back to install the SREC meter on your system? They scheduled me for this "mandatory maintenance" out of the blue on my 3 year old system in San Jose, CA.

Nope. They never came back. Not sure why. I didn't tell them they couldn't install it. I just told them not in my 200 amp main box after the TEG. There was plenty of space in the TEG too.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks