Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla putting a supercharger in Seattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed occasionally if I leave the studio straight to an out of town gig (I'm a studio drummer - crazy hours and often crazy multi point commutes)
Honestly, you do not need to explain yourself. You bought a Model S and Elon said it was free to Model S owners. end of story. there was no asterisk with a note that said "Only for Tesla owners that are road-tripping".

I wish people would stop going crazy over a problem that doesn't exist yet and probably will never exist.

Seattle supercharger at stadium service center?

Asked (December 11) about supercharger site at stadium service, told they were "awaiting news."
But they now have a new 50+ car parking lot to the south, freshly paved, and there is already an HPWC and a 1772 charger on the south wall of the building. While I think the gate may be locked after hours, sure looks like drop-by charging is available now.
Checked the electrical permits (http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/toolsresources/Map/default.htm?lat=47.59366&l...) and there is no application pending for supercharger-strength additions.
Stay tuned.

last I was told the city limits the max amps their service can be and they are maxing it out already. I wouldn't expect a Super Charger to be installed on that property as part of the shop. worthy of note, one of the values of having centrally located super chargers is being able to help the outlying areas that get power outages. I live in shoreline and when we had a significant power outage some weeks back, I went down to the SC to "fill up" and had to wait in line since several other folks from up north were doing the same thing. a supercharger would be a good back up for such occasions.

Asked (December 11) about supercharger site at stadium service, told they were "awaiting news."
But they now have a new 50+ car parking lot to the south, freshly paved, and there is already an HPWC and a 1772 charger on the south wall of the building. While I think the gate may be locked after hours, sure looks like drop-by charging is available now.
Checked the electrical permits (http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/toolsresources/Map/default.htm?lat=47.59366&l...) and there is no application pending for supercharger-strength additions.
Stay tuned.

There is certainly no lack of nearby feeds, as there are massive high voltage wires overhead on their side of 6th Ave S. All they need is the usual stepdown transformers that the other Super Chargers have.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, one of the values of having at least one supercharger at a service center is that they can try out new hardware without the need for a technician to spend a half-day fixing it, thanks to the commute.

Found this post in the main supercharger thread...

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 265

A supercharger is being built on the south end of the new Highland Park, IL service center(1200 Old Skokie Road). There are four stalls. Not sure if this is the Chicago dot on the map as it is not on the initial Elon cross country map. The service center opens next Friday, so it may be done by then.

Looks like a supercharger at a service center in Chicago. Will we get one in Seattle or Bellevue too?

I really hope that they don't put Supercharging near the new Seattle Service Center. Access to that area can be horrific with 2 stadiums, and an events center. It could get even worse with an additional proposed new arena going in near by. The area is either overwhelmed with traffic or desolate. We use the baseball, football, soccer and event schedule to determine whether or not we bother going to Seattle anymore and avoid that area, I-90 and HWY 520 at all costs based on the event schedule. WSDOT even issues traffic warnings for those events. Add hockey and/or basketball with the new arena to that mix and it will be even more restrictive.

When there are no events going on there isn't much in the area for a quick respite from driving. If there is an event going on the area, is chaotic and far too busy for a driving break.
I can imagine someone thinking that they could plug in and go catch a ball game or visit an exposition and not making it back to the car for a long time. It seems that HPWCs would be more appropriate for the Service Center location.

I am thinking that something near the junction of I-405, I-5 and HWY 167 would be a far superior location for Superchargers. That location is close to the airport too.

I wonder if TM is exploring supercharger franchise operations, so gas stations could add on pay EV capabilities. That would make apartment dwellers more interested in buying a MS.

- - - Updated - - -

I can also imagine a valet service that would come around in the middle of the night, locate your car via GPS, leave their car in your space while they drove yours to the supercharger, etc.

I mentioned this to a Seattle service center employee in the context of games at the stadiums and she sounded as if she had heard the idea before and supported it. They have just paved a parking lot that struck me as bigger than they needed.

Good point v12. I haven't actually been down to the new Seattle service center so I shouldn't assume it's a great spot despite it's proximity to the 90/5 intersection. I don't go down to that area much myself either. When I do it's usually for one of these events.

I can't remember where but I remember reading someone propose it be installed at the 405/90 interchange. Unfortunately, there's really no easy access on or off either highway there.

It it will be interesting to see where they end up putting this Seattle Supercharger if we get one at all.

Cheers!

I've had my car in 3 times in the last two weeks (gyro problems) at the Seattle SC, and have discussed the location of the supercharger with the folks there. They are very cagy about it. They say the SC folks are the last to know such things. I was left, however, with the impression that it may be close to but not at the service center. But take my impressions with a big grain of salt. All of my *gifts* to the forums on the topic of super charger locations in the past have been wrong (sorry folks :redface:).

I live on the east side of the state (Tri-cities). When I arrive in Seattle, it would be nice to charge up quickly to take care of business without parking at a slow charger.

Bingo, exactly why carefully placed metro centered Super Chargers are so valuable. Being able to charge up at one's destination city before heading off for a visit to friends or whatever for the weekend is important, otherwise it's often having to have friends pick you up and drop you off where your car has to be parked at some slow charger overnight... just not very practical or convenient.

I recently drove from Portland to Seattle and back.
I charged in Centralia both directions but on my way back I did not have enough juice left to make it to the Centralia SC without charging somewhere.
A Seattle SC would have saved me an hour at a CHAdeMO charger on Blink.
Good that I see a Seattle SC on the 2016 SC map.

I charged in Centralia both directions but on my way back I did not have enough juice left to make it to the Centralia SC without charging somewhere.

For the Ellensburg/Centralia or the Ellensburg/Burlington run a charging station near the HWY 18 and I-90 interchange would be ideal. That way people do not have to detour into Seattle or Bellevue traffic to get a charge.

Two comments:

1. The CHADEMO charger at the Snoqualmie summit is not to be trusted in the winter. It is often buried in snow and when the ski resort is busy it is often ICE'd. I wasted miles of critically needed range last December trying to find and use it without success.

2. I agree with v12 that a Supercharger near the take off of HWY 18 would be ideal. I've used the CHADEMO at the North Bend outlet mall and would be sooooo much happier if there was a SC there too.

I did this yesterday. Grabbed an hour of free 1772 at university village mall to hobble back to Centralia.

This is disheartening. Why is it taking so long? We absolutely need a few Superchargers in Seattle. I've been up there twice this year and both times I've had to significantly go out of my way to charge. Seattle Tesla owners coming to Portland have it much easier than we do. At least they show some coming by the end of the year. Although Bellevue was supposed to exist by the end of 2017, and still doesn't, so I'll believe it when I see it.