Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla putting a supercharger in Seattle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that more superchargers in cities does make sense. Charging at supercharger speeds means that you can get a reasonable charge while having a bit to eat, or even while enjoying a cup of coffee. Destination chargers are too slow unless you are parking at one while working, or just need a few extra miles to get home.

Last month, I drove my daughter up to Seattle (from Portland) for a soccer tournament. I topped up my car in Centralia, but when I got to Seattle for the tournament, the hotel that my daughter’s team was staying at did not have a charger of any kind. After all the driving that we did around in Seattle, it was really tight getting back to Centralia again. If I had a non-LR Model 3, I wouldn’t have made it. I know that I could have tried to find a destination charger somewhere in Seattle, but there were none within a mile of our hotel, and it would have been pretty inconvenient.

In addition, Tesla would like people to be able to buy cars without having a charging solution at home (people in apartments, etc.). For those people, having a nearby supercharger would be a nice option.

Both U-Villiage and Northgate are in the process of building new parking garages. U-Villiage seems the more likely place for superchargers (even has a Tesla store) but Northgate is way closer to the freeway. I suspect at least one of them will get superchargers in the next year.

Both U-Villiage and Northgate are in the process of building new parking garages. U-Villiage seems the more likely place for superchargers (even has a Tesla store) but Northgate is way closer to the freeway. I suspect at least one of them will get superchargers in the next year.
Northgate is about to undergo a huge redevelopment including 1200 housing units and a hotel around a "central park" area. I'd be surprised to see a supercharger on the actual site any time soon. Plus, the lightrail station will be opening "real soon now" - kind of on Tesla Supercharger Time. Pretty sure that this means any open space nearby will be going to housing rather than superchargers. So, my guess for supercharger timing is never.

Northgate is about to undergo a huge redevelopment including 1200 housing units and a hotel around a "central park" area. I'd be surprised to see a supercharger on the actual site any time soon. Plus, the lightrail station will be opening "real soon now" - kind of on Tesla Supercharger Time. Pretty sure that this means any open space nearby will be going to housing rather than superchargers. So, my guess for supercharger timing is never.
It's on the Tesla map. Target opening 2018 :)

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur