Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla trying to talk me OUT of purchasing the Twin Charger package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Roadster chargers used to have an upper voltage limit of around 252 to 255 volts. They would not allow charging above that range. I assumed that they used the same parameters for the Model S. If you have charged at that voltage I guess that is wrong.

OP here.

Upon further contemplation, I've decided to go with the Twin Charger "package".

My Mom used to like saying, "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Thanks for the compelling points on both sides!

Last edited:
I've decided I'll remain with the single charger. If I find adding an additional one later on (at a higher price, I understand) then I'll do it... but am thinking I won't be needing it.

I got the dual charger, for two reasons: first, it was included in the Signature price. Second, I have a legacy Roadster HPC at home that charges at 70 amps :D But that just begs the question.

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably go with a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage, a much lower electrician's bill, and a single-charger (if there had been a discount to do so with the Sig). In five years of Roadster/S ownership, I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a >40-amp charge, not counting an LA - SF roadtrip that could now be done with superchargers. And while it's been nice on occasion to provide some juice to other Roadster/S owners, they could have survived perfectly well on 40 amps. Some of the S's that have stopped by have had single-chargers anyway.

So I think the single-charger is a perfectly valid option. Whatever you decide, you're going to absolutely love your new car!

Last edited:
I like the way apple approaches it, rather than try and figure out what people think they want and deliver that, figure out what they don't yet know they will be delighted with and include it. I think the twin chargers should be standard, it's in the don't know you don't know yet category and a super buzz kill to discover after the fact.

I agree with your 'being informed' stance. But honestly my home breaker panel couldn't handle a 100A circuit for a HPWC. There are NO >40A charging locations anywhere near Atlanta. So I only wanted a single charger. It meets all my charging needs.

If I had the second charger unit, I would NEVER end up using it.

1. Will Twin Chargers benefit me (charge faster) if I pull into a Tesla Service Center for a charge?
No. [Edit: I see I am mistaken and many, though not all, Service Centers have 70-80 amp charging.]
2. I understand the Super Charging stations bypass the onboard charger, but what about CHAdeMO?
Bypasses onboard chargers.
Will I benefit there with the Twin Chargers?
No.
3. I'm not a traveling salesman, and when I come home I usually stay home - so no real benefit at home above regular over night charging.
Correct.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated.
I recommend twin chargers for people who plan to drive to Canada because of the long string of Sun Country Highway 90 amp chargers in Canada. Tesla is never going to put in that many Superchargers across low-population Canada. The same may end up being true in regions adjacent to Canada as Sun Country Highway is moving in on the US, starting with the northern border states.

It really depends on where you plan to take your car.

Last edited:
I recommend twin chargers for people who plan to drive to Canada because of the long string of Sun Country Highway 90 amp chargers in Canada. Tesla is never going to put in that many Superchargers across low-population Canada. The same may end up being true in regions adjacent to Canada as Sun Country Highway is moving in on the US, starting with the northern border states.
Excellent point. Recently spent several days in northern WA and southern BC. Those CS-90s sure are nice compared to our normal 30 Amp J1772s.

Fast forward to "today" and the first wave of folks like myself picking up a CPO. My CPO Model S has twin chargers, I was going to ask those who have them if they have been of any benefit over several years of ownership?

Fast forward to "today" and the first wave of folks like myself picking up a CPO. My CPO Model S has twin chargers, I was going to ask those who have them if they have been of any benefit over several years of ownership?

I used my twin chargers (80A) and now high-speed charging (72A) frequently. The time of use (TOU) plan from my utility is from 1-5am, or 4 hours long. Without high speed charging I would not always be able to fully charge.

It can also be used at destination chargers if they're wired for >40A.

I used my twin chargers (80A) and now high-speed charging (72A) frequently. The time of use (TOU) plan from my utility is from 1-5am, or 4 hours long. Without high speed charging I would not always be able to fully charge.

It can also be used at destination chargers if they're wired for >40A.

Have you found a significant number of high amperage J1772 options in the wild? I can see the usefulness of faster turn around at home. Out here in "flyover" country my electricity rate is the same 24/7/365 @ $0.11 / KW so only speed is the bonus out here. We don't even have such a thing as TOU rates lol!!